Charlie Austin - joined QPR on loan

DCFC1388

11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's a no from me. I don't think he's really got it anymore and he's certainly not going to get better or get sold on. Have to bear in mind, he'd look at us as a last payday more than anything.

Doesn't fit the smart(er) signings we've been making.

If it's a loan, then it's not so bad, but not really as good as having kept Chris Martin.

We are short of goals whichever way you look at it. However we manage to get scoring seems worthwhile. 9 points adrift means top six is possible. 18 points........

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Probably just a misunderstanding.

Nicko overheard one of the coaching staff saying they'd need serious Charlie to get through the season, and ran with it. 

If what I heard during his time at swindon is true then Austin had similar needs too....

The fact we let Martin go most likely due to financial reasons over how much and how long his contract would be signing a player who has hardly played and most likely needs to get fit prior to getting a first team berth whilst being on a decent weekly wage doesn't feel within the framework we are working towards. 

His age doesn't bother me but this smacks of how we had both nugent and jerome when they had played their best football and were on a downward spiral. 

In times past I'd have been very excited by the prospect of Charlie Austin signing for our club but times past are just what they are. 

I've read on the other striker threads how we are taking a long time to sign a forward but I would rather we do our due diligence and get the best possible player to fit what we are trying to do rather than a someone anyone signing along the lines of Anya which just smacked of desperation. 

Even to the point like in January if we don't sign anyone just for the sake of it. 

I will add this to the above statement however...... The forwards we have at the club are not good enough to get us promoted or even finish in the top 10 and this position is now a huge priority for the owner and managerial team. 

If we get it right with one or even 2 good centre forwards who can help with goals and ball retention, we could have a steep upturn in results especially when the other signings settle into the ideas the manager is trying to get across. 

If we don't get the right forward/forwards in this is going to be a very ugly season that will be both tough to watch and endure. 

Derby County is and forever will be my club and I have seen us relegated  to the third tier of English football before and sat through King Arthur's rather inauspicious first season. 

I do not want to see that happen to our Club again as it is getting tougher and tougher to get back out of it. 

Ask Sunderland or Coventry. 

17 minutes ago, Andicis said:

He was crap this season just gone. Only scored 10 and he was their penalty taker. 

And has a strike rate (16 in 71) not far off Marriott (10 in 67) before that when with Southampton. Gone from a one in two to a one in four in four seasons. Good point on the penalty taker as well, bloated his stats the last few seasons.

6 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I'd take any Kevin at the moment - Wlison, Francis or Lisbie.

Blimey. six foot eight and Cox started putting him out wide we were that desperate for players in 1991.  I remember him standing on the ball and sliding straight towards me at eye level, as his old chap fell out of those budgie smugglers that passed as shorts in them days. 

A sight seared into the memory. 

27 minutes ago, AmberRamber said:

The fact we let Martin go most likely due to financial reasons over how much and how long his contract would be signing a player who has hardly played and most likely needs to get fit prior to getting a first team berth whilst being on a decent weekly wage doesn't feel within the framework we are working towards. 

His age doesn't bother me but this smacks of how we had both nugent and jerome when they had played their best football and were on a downward spiral. 

In times past I'd have been very excited by the prospect of Charlie Austin signing for our club but times past are just what they are. 

I've read on the other striker threads how we are taking a long time to sign a forward but I would rather we do our due diligence and get the best possible player to fit what we are trying to do rather than a someone anyone signing along the lines of Anya which just smacked of desperation. 

Even to the point like in January if we don't sign anyone just for the sake of it. 

I will add this to the above statement however...... The forwards we have at the club are not good enough to get us promoted or even finish in the top 10 and this position is now a huge priority for the owner and managerial team. 

If we get it right with one or even 2 good centre forwards who can help with goals and ball retention, we could have a steep upturn in results especially when the other signings settle into the ideas the manager is trying to get across. 

If we don't get the right forward/forwards in this is going to be a very ugly season that will be both tough to watch and endure. 

Derby County is and forever will be my club and I have seen us relegated  to the third tier of English football before and sat through King Arthur's rather inauspicious first season. 

I do not want to see that happen to our Club again as it is getting tougher and tougher to get back out of it. 

Ask Sunderland or Coventry. 

I'm not really getting this thing with Nugent to be honest.  He was certainly here 12 months to long and I think that clouds things, but we had good value for 18 months . Same with Jerome, defiantly had another season in him  - he showed in the Cardiff game how useful he  was when he battered there defence and wasn't shabby on the deck either- kind of the player were after now.

I agree that relegation would be disastrous .  It's a long road back from Layer road Colchester.

Archived