Charlie Austin - joined QPR on loan

DCFC1388

5 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

If we were gambling with finances then we would’ve signed a striker by now as we’d have paid a slight premium just to get players in as early as possible. The Dursun things seems to have stalled because we’re playing hardball in the negotiations.

If we sign Austin, we will have the financial headroom to do so. 

Let’s hope you are right.

But we all fell into the trap of assuming everything was under control and the club were making sound decisions, only for the stadium sale, the Gabay loan controversy, the ongoing EFL/P&S case to later be revealed and blindside many of us.

That’s where my position of wariness comes from.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Let’s hope you are right.

But we all fell into the trap of assuming everything was under control and the club were making sound decisions, only for the stadium sale, the Gabay loan controversy, the ongoing EFL/P&S case to later be revealed and blindside many of us.

That’s where my position of wariness comes from.

Most of that stemmed from mistakes made early on in Mel’s tenure when a significant proportion of posters (Including myself) were extremely critical of Mel. I think it’s reasonable to say he got it wrong in the first couple of years. We’ve been making the right moves towards sustainability in the past couple of years, pushing to have a greater proportion of the first team squad coming from the academy, but unfortunately we were still saddled with the big wages and huge losses on the balance sheet from signings we made back in 15/16, which led to us having to do things like sell the stadium to comply with P&S.

I trust the club to be prudent now and see every evidence that we are being prudent based on our transfer dealings this window.

2 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Can we re-build Austin, and make him the 'six million dollar man' we have been lacking for us ? 

We have the technology.

Listening to the erudite Curtis Davies on Five Live this morning, saying how young players in the game don't know what he's talking about when he mentions players from his era but before their time (eg "who was Steve McManaman?"), I thought I'd post this by way of explanation for all the youngsters on the forum:

Better, faster, stronger...

After seeing him lose his poo a couple of years ago on match of the day, I'd love him here. You need a bit of fire in the belly, at least he cares, and we know he has the capability. 

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Most of that stemmed from mistakes made early on in Mel’s tenure when a significant proportion of posters (Including myself) were extremely critical of Mel. I think it’s reasonable to say he got it wrong in the first couple of years. We’ve been making the right moves towards sustainability in the past couple of years, pushing to have a greater proportion of the first team squad coming from the academy, but unfortunately we were still saddled with the big wages and huge losses on the balance sheet from signings we made back in 15/16, which led to us having to do things like sell the stadium to comply with P&S.

I trust the club to be prudent now and see every evidence that we are being prudent based on our transfer dealings this window.

We still then went on to sign Bielik for.. £8m was it. Which was understandable as he looked like a player that would either be here long term or we sold on for substantially more than that. Then he get's injured. Just goes to show that even when you sign the right player for big money, things can go tits up. 

I don't blame Mel for never breaking £5m again while we are in this league and signings such as Jozwiak become even rarer. But the pattern appears to be that we won't spend any kind of significant money unless there is the chance to sell the player on. Good. 

There are bargains out there. Marshall and Byrne. Ibe might turn out to be another steal and hopefully if we sign Austin, he will be too. Whilst we allow our academy players and U23's more and more opportunities. 

5 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

We still then went on to sign Bielik for.. £8m was it. Which was understandable as he looked like a player that would either be here long term or we sold on for substantially more than that. Then he get's injured. Just goes to show that even when you sign the right player for big money, things can go tits up. 

I don't blame Mel for never breaking £5m again while we are in this league and signings such as Jozwiak become even rarer. But the pattern appears to be that we won't spend any kind of significant money unless there is the chance to sell the player on. Good. 

There are bargains out there. Marshall and Byrne. Ibe might turn out to be another steal and hopefully if we sign Austin, he will be too. Whilst we allow our academy players and U23's more and more opportunities. 

Marshall and Byrne are the kind of players that played for the kind of teams that beat us but cost a fraction of our players. They were just hard working professionals who did their job right with no fuss. We have been short of about six of these extremely good value players who just get on with it. 

Archived