Charlie Austin - joined QPR on loan

DCFC1388

14 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

It's only the UK / EU transfer window which closes at 5.00 pm today. Why should Sky Sports be outside WBA?

Transfers between UK clubs doesn't close until the 16th October, so what's the haste for Austin?

If Derby are still in negotiations with Darmstad then that's the only deal we should be loooking at today.

Transfer window closes at 23:00 today.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

It's only the UK / EU transfer window which closes at 5.00 pm today. Why should Sky Sports be outside WBA?

Transfers between UK clubs doesn't close until the 16th October, so what's the haste for Austin?

If Derby are still in negotiations with Darmstad then that's the only deal we should be loooking at today.

Are you assuming sky sports are purely there to cover little old Derby's potential signing of Austin?

I was under the impression that WBA are looking to off load a good few of their fringe players to get them off the books. Maybe that is why sky sports are there and the fact we are in for one player might be a bonus to them.

On transfer day, Ii would imaging sky sports are camped outside most top tier clubs

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

Doesn't though does it. Transfer window with the rest of Europe closes today, domestic is a week on Friday.

If you read above my message, I was just correcting what ImARam2 said about the window closing at 5pm today for EU/UK transfers. So yes it does.

53 minutes ago, inter politics said:

WBA reporter for the Athletic

If Zohore is a realistic target for Sheff Wed, with all of their financial turbulence and uncertainty, then why are we going for Austin? Zohore is younger and seems like he would fit better with our style of play

Its fine to have an opinion on transfers, makes the forum go around I suppose, but some seriously come over as if they think they have more valid judgement than the club. Remember its not just the players ability, its the price & FFP, the availability, the attitude etc. It all needs to balance out. Not easy at all. As in most things I trust the club will do their very best.

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

This is what so so many fans said when it got suggested we sign a right back.

"Well we've got Wisdom and Ebosele now. MTW can play there if neee be and so could Evans. So we're well covered"

We aren't well covered at left back at all. We need a good left back. You don't want to end up playing right footed centre halves at left back.

Buchanan is much better at left wing back. Still not sure about him when we play a 4. Forsyth is nowhere near good enough anymore. A left back is important for me.

Don't have to spend a lot. Could even be a loan. Byrne cost us 200k. 

At the beginning of pre-season we had 4 LBs on the books: Forsyth, Malone, Lowe and Buchanan. None are particularly great in my opinion (Buchanan is obviously still young and learning so I'm not ruling him out at this stage). It's the same at RB too apart from Byrne.

All the talk in the summer was how we need wingers and strikers (we do) but not many seemed to consider that defence isn't much cop either.

15 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Its fine to have an opinion on transfers, makes the forum go around I suppose, but some seriously come over as if they think they have more valid judgement than the club. Remember its not just the players ability, its the price & FFP, the availability, the attitude etc. It all needs to balance out. Not easy at all. As in most things I trust the club will do their very best.

Totally agree however the point you've overlooked is that the fans making the judgement on transfers aren't accountable whereas the club needs to be.

After the signings of Blackmore, Anya, Johnson, Butterfield et al it's easy to think you can do a better job than the club in the transfer market and who can blame anyone thinking it. 

If the Austin rumour is true it strikes me as a bit of an odd move. I'm not averse to the idea of signing him per se, but I don't see why you'd let a 31 year old proven CF at this level go for free only to pay a fee for another 31 year old plus what will inevitably be higher wages.

Maybe there's more to it than that, but I don't quite get it.

22 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

If the Austin rumour is true it strikes me as a bit of an odd move. I'm not averse to the idea of signing him per se, but I don't see why you'd let a 31 year old proven CF at this level go for free only to pay a fee for another 31 year old plus what will inevitably be higher wages.

Maybe because the manager thinks that the 'new' signing in his mind, might just be an upgrade on the person they just let go ?

17 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I think the difference was that Martin's case was already packed. He's 32 shortly & as I understand it he has a 2 year deal at Brizzle - with an option for a further year. That'll take him to 34 - 35. Nobody knows what he was on / offered to stay at Derby but it was strongly rumoured he was the highest earner at the club. I don't know if he had a settled life in Derb (ie, Wife / Kids in school etc) - but to uproot and go down there, at his point in his career / life seemed a bit extreme. Someone on here wrote about Rob Hulse refusing a move to Boro' as he didn't want to uproot his family.... If someone like Austin does come I'd be very surprised if we were paying his full wages, but the fact is, we do need someone up front and that's for sure.

Martin wanted to go. Was offered a new deal, albeit on reduced terms but even if we offered more I think Bristol city would have out done us as we had the embargo and possible points deduction hanging over us. At the time it would have been irresponsible to offer Martin big wages 

Austin is a proven goal scorer at this level and above. Might be a tad old but billy sharp and Martin were fine. He’ll add a old head up top to help the youth behind him and he’ll bag goals. Also the mans been promoted so many times. He’s also a really nice and down to earth guy when being interviewed and will fit in with the group. It’s a no brained to me

If this does come off I doubt we’ll be signing him on a permanent deal. Far more likely it’s a loan with West Brom subsidising a large proportion of his wages, as its better from their perspective to at least recoup something, rather than shelling out for a player they’re unlikely to play.

It would then hopefully motivate Austin to put a shift in, to put himself in the shop window when he’s out of contract at the end of the season.

Then frees us up to move for Dursun, or another, longer term striker next summer. Or if Austin’s been particularly good, we offer a deal within our wage structure and see if he takes it.

2 minutes ago, Mountain Ram said:

If this does come off I doubt we’ll be signing him on a permanent deal. Far more likely it’s a loan with West Brom subsidising a large proportion of his wages, as its better from their perspective to at least recoup something, rather than shelling out for a player they’re unlikely to play.

It would then hopefully motivate Austin to put a shift in, to put himself in the shop window when he’s out of contract at the end of the season.

Then frees us up to move for Dursun, or another, longer term striker next summer. Or if Austin’s been particularly good, we offer a deal within our wage structure and see if he takes it.

Thought it could be a permanent if we take his 70k a week wages off them and don’t pay them a fee. But that’s still 7.5 million if we take him on a two year deal so probably a loan with them subsidising some of the wages. 

Archived