Charlie Austin - joined QPR on loan

DCFC1388

6 minutes ago, sage said:

I imagine he will want Jozwiak's shirt number. 

not sure he'll go that far-in-a short loan period (pass the shoe horn)

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Monty said:

not sure he'll go that far-in-a short loan period (pass the shoe horn)

Apparently he has to choose between us and Oxford. He will decide when he comes back from his Jamaican holiday (Montego Bay) 

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Apparently he has to choose between us and Oxford. He will decide when he comes back from his Jamaican holiday (Montego Bay) 

quite the Traveller then

25 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

....yet in such a free-scoring team he was still top league scorer for them, despite playing less than the equivalent of 17 games

Lawrence got the same amount of goals and 2 extra assists , and waghorn got 4 more assists and 2 more goals,  so make of that what you will 

20 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Lawrence got the same amount of goals and 2 extra assists , and waghorn got 4 more assists and 2 more goals,  so make of that what you will 

Both Waghorn and Lawrence played virtually double the number of matches as Austin did so it's hardly surprising. I'm not fussed whether he signs or not but to say his record in the equivalent of half a season was terrible is nonsense.

51 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Austin is a robust player and a threat to defences. 

If we get him fit and firing, he could be a good addition.

My only reservation would be the wages. Even at 50% of his reported wages, surely it doesn’t fit in with the remit?

Where was 50% reported - I'd be very surprised if it was anything near that?

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

Where was 50% reported - I'd be very surprised if it was anything near that?

Nothing has been reported.

I am just struggling to get my head around how we can afford this move.

Austin is reported to be on anywhere from £50-70,000.

Unless we are paying 25% or less of his wages, how is it viable and why would WBA accept that?

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Unless we are paying 25% or less of his wages, how is it viable and why would WBA accept that?

Honestly, who cares?

We aren't the club's accountants. Let Mel and the Board worry about the money side of things. If Cocu wants him and we can get him then that's all that matters. I know we've been through the ringer with FFP but there is so much hand-wringing going on about finances (and while I'm quoting you, this isn't the only example).

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

If Bilic doesn't see Austin playing much of a role this season then a 25% contribution to his wages would mean a saving of approx half a million between now and next June.

2 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Honestly, who cares?

We aren't the club's accountants. Let Mel and the Board worry about the money side of things. If Cocu wants him and we can get him then that's all that matters. I know we've been through the ringer with FFP but there is so much hand-wringing going on about finances (and while I'm quoting you, this isn't the only example).

No, we are not accountants.

But at the same time, with our recent FFP case and the fine line we have been treading, it’s perfectly natural for people to be concerned about our financial situation and a signing that seems to go against the objectives we are trying to achieve from a financial standpoint.

The reaction to potential signings like Dursun and Junker will obviously be different. People will be more positive because they are interesting signings from abroad and these signings clearly aren’t going to break or jeopardise our wage structure.

With Austin, I think it’s normal to be a little wary. He is a good player and particularly at this level, but WBA had parachute payments to fall back on. 

I just hope we are not falling into the same trap of rolling the dice with our financial future.

52 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Just see the positive side !!...let the club worry about the finances

Archived