Keinan Davis

CornwallRam

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Cocu_Doodle_Do said:

Got a feeling it will be this guy. I don’t want him not proven goalscorer and we will never sign him permanently. At least Austin is proven at this level and if he does well we would have a chance to sign him.

We don't need to sign him permanently. Whoever we sign on loan is a stop gap until we get Dursun (Probably on a free in the summer)

37 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Thought I read Slimani wants to fight for his place....

The European squads have been announced and he wasn't included. Leicester could have put him in, but they only named 24 players instead of the max 25. Premier League squads (sadly for us), also of a maximum of 25 players, aren't announced until 20 October. But why would he be listed there after his omission from the Europa League? You can't fight for your place, if the rules say you're not allowed to play.

38 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

We don't need to sign him permanently. Whoever we sign on loan is a stop gap until we get Dursun (Probably on a free in the summer)

This was the season to take a chance on Dursun when he's 28 and desperate to have a stellar season to break into the Turkish team for the Euros. Will we still want him when he's another year older and without that key motivating factor? I'm not sure. Sign a 29 year old on a 3 year contract and you don't have any sell-on value.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

The European squads have been announced and he wasn't included. Leicester could have put him in, but they only named 24 players instead of the max 25. Premier League squads (sadly for us), also of a maximum of 25 players, aren't announced until 20 October. But why would he be listed there after his omission from the Europa League? You can't fight for your place, if the rules say you're not allowed to play.

Ok, all we need now is that we are interested in him ?

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Are you not allowed to add to the squad if you have unassigned places, or has the door now been closed?

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think it's a huge risk signing forwards who don't score goals, especially when we've lost so many goals from the squad. And in the unlikely event he starts scoring, what we're mainly doing is boosting Villa's bank balance.

If it were possible (it's probably not) I'd offer Leicester a deal where we guarantee to buy Slimani for some fixed sum if he plays more than 20 games for us and we get promoted. Could do a similar arrangement with Liverpool and Harry Wilson. All of a sudden we have an extra 30+ goals in the team.

How do you know that Davis wouldnt score goals for us & that Slimani and Wilson automatically add 30+ goals to the team?

With forwards there is never a guarantee. The best strikers in the world have failed after transfers. We have signed players based on a recent decent scoring record like Blackman & Marriott for decent fees and they havent gone on to smash it for us have they? On the other hand we have signed Chris Martin on a free whose record wasnt the best but was incredible for us.

If a player is guaranteed to smash goals at this level they normally cost a hell of a lot of money not available on loan.

8 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

How do you know that Davis wouldnt score goals for us & that Slimani and Wilson automatically add 30+ goals to the team?

With forwards there is never a guarantee. The best strikers in the world have failed after transfers. We have signed players based on a recent decent scoring record like Blackman & Marriott for decent fees and they havent gone on to smash it for us have they? On the other hand we have signed Chris Martin on a free whose record wasnt the best but was incredible for us.

If a player is guaranteed to smash goals at this level they normally cost a hell of a lot of money not available on loan.

Let's not forget Derek Hales. Scored over 70 for Charlton at a better than 1 in 2 rate, signed for us and was useless then subsequently played for West Ham and Charlton with a success rate of 2 in 5. Some players fit certain clubs and there's no guarantee they will succeed irrespective of where they play. 

Those saying you wouldn't want Davis clearly dont understand what our team needs to work. Davis is a tall, strong, tricky agile target man. I've said it before, he will be the missing link for us. More so than Austin IMO. Hes not so much the intricate 1-2 passing master that Martin was, neither has he shown his consistent goal threat (yet) but his all round attributes are better and would suit us down to the ground.

It's a big yes from me

6 minutes ago, SK47 said:

Those saying you wouldn't want Davis clearly dont understand what our team needs to work. Davis is a tall, strong, tricky agile target man. I've said it before, he will be the missing link for us. More so than Austin IMO. Hes not so much the intricate 1-2 passing master that Martin was, neither has he shown his consistent goal threat (yet) but his all round attributes are better and would suit us down to the ground.

It's a big yes from me

Oh thanks, I understand now, silly me ?

17 minutes ago, SK47 said:

It's a big yes from me

If this deal was a permanent transfer then I could fully get behind it, but the very fact It’s a loan does absolutely nothing for me! 

I’d rather give Hector Ingram a chance to grow in the first team, than pay Villa a loan fee for a stop gap until next year.

Its nothing against the lad, but we need a permanent replacement for Martin, and his goals tally for a Striker is woeful!

Id much rather we go for Austin, because there is a large chance that he’d be available after this year. He’s a bully of a Striker who would provide hold up play as well as being lethal in front of goal. Age might not be on his side, but he’d provide great experience for the team and really help the youth in the squad. 

Opinions ey! 

I understand the reservations regarding Davis' scoring record. I'm not a big fan of strikers that don't hit 15 goals +, however whenever I've seen him play he's looked a handful. He's young and would be hungry to impress, so out of Davis or Austin I'd be more excited for the Villa man. That said if we managed to pull off a Slimani type deal then the head of recruitment should be given the key to the city.

36 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I understand the reservations regarding Davis' scoring record. I'm not a big fan of strikers that don't hit 15 goals +, however whenever I've seen him play he's looked a handful. 

You can't make friends easily then. You tell me how many strikers in the Championship are going to do that this season.

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

You can't make friends easily then. You tell me how many strikers in the Championship are going to do that this season.

Probably not as many as I'd think. But in Davis although there's no guarantee of him getting anywhere near this tally I believe he'd be a decent signing. For a mild defence to my 15 goal target I'm pretty sure Theo Robinson hit 11 goals for us one season and he was sub standard to say the least.

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

My main reservation is his lack of experience. I like a centre forward to have been around the block a few times, know a few tricks. Durson would have been ideal, Austin will do.

Has anyone got any figures for goals scored against goal attempts from various relevant strikers. Goals per game is what counts but chances not taken is also relevant.

8 hours ago, Rampage said:

Has anyone got any figures for goals scored against goal attempts from various relevant strikers. Goals per game is what counts but chances not taken is also relevant.

Not too sure it is relevant. Other than if the striker is not getting any chances and not scoring.

If a striker gets one chance per game and takes that chance then it is 1 goal per game.

If he has 10 chances per game and scores 1 it is still 1 goal per game.  The only difference is he might just get the second and third goal in this scenario.

More important would be if those 9 misses would have been better laying off to someone else in a better position, then it might be relevant.

Or am I missing something?

Archived