"Unacceptable"

IslandExile

Listen to what Cocu says...

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2020/09/phillip-cocu-reading-h-september-2020

Does that really sound like someone who sends his team out to play "slow, ponderous, sideways" football? No, it doesn't. He's as frustrated and angry as the rest of us.

You Cocu "doubters" are entitled to your opinions, of course. But please take into account:

He's inherited the worst squad we've had for years.

We've been under a transfer embargo.

Money's too tight to mention.

We've had to sell two bright young prospects to be able to bring anyone in.

We've not yet been able to bring in those creative players.

Our most experienced creative players are all currently injured.

As exciting as Sibley, Knight and Whitaker all are, they're not yet ready to all start together - but needs must.

Sibley, out of position, and Marriott up front together is out of necessity (injuries, incomplete squad), not choice.

One more thing, given suggestions that I've read on here....

I have seen teams managed by Warnock, Hughton and Howe. I am glad that none of those are manager of Derby County.

Trust Cocu. Consider the situation.

COYR ?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Does that really sound like someone who sends his team out to play "slow, ponderous, sideways" football? No, it doesn't. He's as frustrated and angry as the rest of us.

You Cocu "doubters" are entitled to your opinions, of course. But please take into account:

As exciting as Sibley, Knight and Whitaker all are, they're not yet ready to all start together - but needs must.

Sibley, out of position, and Marriott up front together is out of necessity (injuries, incomplete squad), not choice.

I have seen teams managed by Warnock, Hughton and Howe. I am glad that none of those are manager of Derby County.

COYR ?

You wouldn’t take Eddie Howe or Chris Hughton as manager here? 

I’ll have what you’re smoking!

9 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I have seen teams managed by Warnock, Hughton and Howe. I am glad that none of those are manager of Derby 

I’d take any of these guys in a heartbeat over Cocu currently. They know how to get out of this league and and at least I’d see some semblance of a plan, some decent football and some guts, all of which are missing from our club right now. 

14 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I’d take any of these guys in a heartbeat over Cocu currently. They know how to get out of this league and and at least I’d see some semblance of a plan, some decent football and some guts, all of which are missing from our club right now. 

You would also have to say bye bye the academy.

31 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

COYR ?

Other than the Howe and Hughton comment (they are both very good Managers) I agree with most of that. I think Cocu has been dealt a very poor hand. At some point down the line though I think if the players can’t adapt and perform effectively to his system, basically aren’t good enough to implement it, then he will have to adapt the system to meet the players he has got.....square pegs and round holes etc etc....

Fair enough that Philip should be ticked off enough to say so.

But he seemed a bit lost for any explanation of why so much timidity and sluggish play. He and his team need to be asking themselves why they aren't getting the messages across. 

I do feel for the guy in that dropping half the team isn't an option despite what he might actually want to do. 

Let's be realistic in what he had to choose from for the Reading match and potentially the next couple.

Of fully fit and ready to go senior players we have Marshall, Roos, Davies, Clarke, Forsyth, MTW, Shinnie, Evans, Byrne (who has only just joined)

Marriott and Wisdom are coming back from injury. And Rooney barely trained.

Players unavailable  - Waghorn, Lawrence, Holmes, Bielik.

Other than that..it is the kids, of those that started, barely if even 60 league starts between 4 of them.

Davies, Forsyth, Evans and maybe Shinnie would be squad players for most teams in this league. Only Clarke and Marshall of those fit would I expect to be starters in this league.

Cocu has been wanting attacking players in since January. Not exactly his fault that hasn't happened.

Of course we should be more lenient with him than previous managers. 

Let’s not forget we’re one game in as well... football is an incredibly random sport and yesterday may have been an aberration

But if it’s not I agree with the thread’s original post, given our context we can’t expect a thrilling season 

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

I've never believed Cocu wants us to play slow boring football, but that's just what we're seeing at the minute. He says all the right things, he talks about intensity, aggressiveness and forward runs but we don't see it change on the pitch. Maybe it's only a matter of time before it clicks. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

The chances of those two being appointed Derby manager are about as remote as you can get unfortunately. 

there are extenuating circumstances, and there’s also cocu-ball.

I’m not convinced by the argument that cocu is chomping on the bit to play high tempo attacking football. The evidence ever since he came is there before our eyes. Slow, ponderous passing, sideways and backwards. Bird began be to be very negative late last season. I remember one game where it took until something like the 38th minute before he played a forward pass, (and that was a mis-directed 10 yard pass that went out for a throw in).

That can only be because of what they do Monday to Friday at moor farm.

7 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I've never believed Cocu wants us to play slow boring football, but that's just what we're seeing at the minute. He says all the right things, he talks about intensity, aggressiveness and forward runs but we don't see it change on the pitch. Maybe it's only a matter of time before it clicks. Fingers crossed.

I agree. But Rowett used to say the right things too.

I find it very disappointing that he has said these things to the media and blamed the players - in the end the responsibility is his.

Hughton relies on having tall, strong defenders, big, powerful strikers and massive amounts of creativity from the wide areas. Dunk, Murray, Knockaert. There's nothing attractive about his football, it's just effective bullying of the opposition and playing the percentages.

Warnock similar, the less said the better really. If you look at our squad for the past 2 season I'm not sure exactly which of our players anyone thinks would suit a Warnock side, it'd have been a disaster.

Howe has only done it at Bournemouth, but in the Championship, yes, they played nice football, helped somewhat by having Matt Ritchie & Simon Francis is their ranks, both now proven PL players, with Yann Kermogant (had a decent enough Champ career) also getting 17 goals.

None of them would have been suitable.

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree. But Rowett used to say the right things too.

I find it very disappointing that he has said these things to the media and blamed the players - in the end the responsibility is his.

Rowett got results, cocu isn't getting results and talks to the media about the players as if he isn't involved. It's his responsibility. We all like to praise cocu when it's going well so we have to criticise him when it isn't. What we're seeing is simply unacceptable.

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

COYR ?

Have to agree that we can only play what we have available and its no good keep playing kids if there not good enough yesterday proved that it was men versus boys however at present we have no choice.

On your second point i think its totally down to Cocu the way we are playing at the moment we are to ponderous must pass the ball back or side ways at all costs if it means keeping the ball,for Christ sakes were not Barcelona.We play 3-5-2 all the pre season and against Barrow then completely change it yesterday  not as if that made any difference the way we are playing

Easy to say its only the first game and yes it is but you get that feeling this is going to be a long season,we are at least 4 players short maybe even more to be a decent side,look at the bench yesterday we had a unfit Rooney and nothing else to turn a game round

Lets not kid ourselves Reading will probably be a mid table team and they walked away with possibly there easiest 3 points they will get all season certainly away from home

Things need to change and change fast,i can remember a certain Mr Pearson not lasting long in to a season

Archived