"Unacceptable"

IslandExile

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Sorry but for me and I’ve always said it the hype around Sibley is ridiculous.

Lawrence gets hammered when he plays poorly ! 

Lawrence gets slated for having lots of options and picking the wrong one too often

Sibely's options are to pass backwards the way he faces every time he gets the ball or turn the defender that is touch tight because he has nothing else to do

Just now, Alpha said:

Lawrence gets slated for having lots of options and picking the wrong one too often

Sibely's options are to pass backwards the way he faces every time he gets the ball or turn the defender that is touch tight because he has nothing else to do

How can that be ! 

Just now, Alpha said:

No, you're doing this wrong. It's the 18/19 year old's fault that he can't get the back with his back to net, spin the defender, run past 4 and score in the top corner. Should be an easy ask! Who needs service, or options, or being given the ball in the right areas.

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Eric Steele was critical of Sibley yesterday.

You should know you listened to RD but didn’t watch the game right. 

He might have been critical, but how Cocu used him didn't help a young inexperienced player. He made it harder for him, as he did Marriott. Come back when we've played well and scored goals - last game was Blackburn.

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

there are extenuating circumstances, and there’s also cocu-ball.

I’m not convinced by the argument that cocu is chomping on the bit to play high tempo attacking football. The evidence ever since he came is there before our eyes. Slow, ponderous passing, sideways and backwards. Bird began be to be very negative late last season. I remember one game where it took until something like the 38th minute before he played a forward pass, (and that was a mis-directed 10 yard pass that went out for a throw in).

That can only be because of what they do Monday to Friday at moor farm.

I’m fully expecting a hammering for this but…

I think Bird’s quite overrated and he’s always been sideways and safe. One right-footed corner aside he’s one footed as well. Always goes wide rather than playing back inside. 

That being said, yesterday was the first time I’ve not seen him play well without Rooney alongside him. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

No, you're doing this wrong. It's the 18/19 year old's fault that he can't get the back with his back to net, spin the defender, run past 4 and score in the top corner. Should be an easy ask! Who needs service, or options, or being given the ball in the right areas.

Who does he give service to certainly not Marriott 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He might have been critical, but how Cocu used him didn't help a young inexperienced player. He made it harder for him, as he did Marriott. Come back when we've played well and scored goals - last game was Blackburn.

Oh blame Cocu for everything.

Im not going to  

Just now, Curtains said:

Who does he give service to certainly not Marriott 

Marriott's the problem. Sibley would be doing much better with Martin, or Waghorn, or any striker that can actually hold up a ball. Sibley's not getting a chance to kick the ball. How's Sibley supposed to assist Marriott when he's only getting the all with his back to net, or when Marriott's just stood next to the defender and not getting in space?

22 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

The people clamouring for Hughton being the same ones moaning about the current “boring” football. Does make me chuckle. 

I really struggle with comments like that. It seems that many people's definition of boring football is so different to mine. 

To me, the absolute most boring football style possible is side to side, possession based, try to gradually work in an opportunity but never take an actual risk style. That is what Clement played and that is what Cocu plays.

Now I'm not a particular fan of lumping it up to a big striker - but it's a lot less boring to watch than the current snore-fest. Even Rowettball had a few exciting moments in every game. To say that Hughton's style is boring compared to Cocu is just so totally at odds with the football that I have witnessed. Hughton teams utilise their wingers with great effect. They create chance after chance. They actually carry the ball forward. OK, so their defence is no-nonsense, but to call them boring suggests that my definition of boring is massively different to other peoples'.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Marriott's the problem. Sibley would be doing much better with Martin, or Waghorn, or any striker that can actually hold up a ball. Sibley's not getting a chance to kick the ball. How's Sibley supposed to assist Marriott when he's only getting the all with his back to net, or when Marriott's just stood next to the defender and not getting in space?

Martin is passed it. 

Bloody hell it's going in circles again.

'Hughton teams utilise their wingers..." oh hold on we haven't bloody got any!

"I thought we'd got it after lockdown and we started out much more brightly, and now we're regressing" ... because the team, especially Rooney & Martin got more and more knackered playing a schedule of games which was too much for them, we played the then top 6 teams in consecutive matches and important players got suspensions, followed by major creative players leaving the club (of their own accord) or missing most of pre season injured. It's an impossible situation to have done anything other than regress in.

Why play Sibley and Marriott together, "They are two good players, wasted yesterday"... because our options are currently ridiculously thin on the ground, Marriott is our only available CF,  anyone put next to him would struggle and realistically the only available forward player who stood any chance of creating anything at all, in that role or any other was Sibley

I really don't know how many times the same questions (not just those ones) can be raised,  answered, the answer disregarded and the question raised again a few posts later before we all go completely insane.

Archived