Nathan Byrne - Signed on a 2 year deal

Charlie George's header

1 hour ago, desirelines said:

Someone on Twitter suggested sending Festy to Wigan on loan as part of the deal. What do you reckon? Good to get him game time in League One or keep him training at Derby? 

Absolutely not! He's only just turned 18 which means at least one more year in our U23s with the occasional game at the end of the season before we even consider loaning him out. He'll be at least a squad player next season anyway

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Longeatonram2020 said:

Sadly it could really effect any youngsters that go there. In for a tough relegation battle next season so none of it will be smooth sailing. Be good to get Ebosele, Mitchell-Lawson, Brown etc out on loan to a team that’ll play them week in week out though. 

Mitchell-Lawson is out at Bristol Rovers. I don't think he'll be here beyond the end of this season though, sadly - been overtaken by Whittaker, possibly even Archie Brown.

26 minutes ago, Longeatonram2020 said:

Sadly it could really effect any youngsters that go there. In for a tough relegation battle next season so none of it will be smooth sailing. Be good to get Ebosele, Mitchell-Lawson, Brown etc out on loan to a team that’ll play them week in week out though. 

JML is already out at Bristol Rovers

55 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Agreed... and if they want a replacement for Byrne, then getting Festy out there for a season would be ideal. From what I've seen of them both, they are very very similar players. Could be a good destination for JHI too. They've only really got Joe Garner as a recognised CF at the minute, so would get plenty of game time.

Currently signing Joe Garner to compete in the air isn’t the most stupid thing ( obviously dependant if we can bring in someone a lot better)

14 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Currently signing Joe Garner to compete in the air isn’t the most stupid thing ( obviously dependant if we can bring in someone a lot better)

Isn’t joe garner 5ft 8? ? As in the ex Preston striker? 

The defensive stats are good, but is that because he was identified as a weak point in Wigan's defence by opposition teams and they focussed more attacks that side? Is it because Wigan didn't offer much of a threat down the right side at all so teams exploited that? Or is he just bloody brilliant?

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

My favourite stat out of the lot is 3rd most crosses blocked. Our fullbacks have been awful at this over the years. So many goals conceded have been from crosses into the box. If we can improve this, we are on to something!!!

Great business 

1 minute ago, roboto said:

The defensive stats are good, but is that because he was identified as a weak point in Wigan's defence by opposition teams and they focussed more attacks that side? Is it because Wigan didn't offer much of a threat down the right side at all so teams exploited that? Or is he just bloody brilliant?

Probably a mixture!

1 minute ago, jimbobram said:

My favourite stat out of the lot is 3rd most crosses blocked. Our fullbacks have been awful at this over the years. So many goals conceded have been from crosses into the box. If we can improve this, we are on to something!!!

Great business 

I agree, don’t think any of our fullbacks know how to block a cross, Bogle and Lowe included in that. Think Wisdom is probably the only one currently, Shame he plays the same side as Byrne! 

3 minutes ago, roboto said:

with jamal lowe and Byrne on that right side, I'd be pretty confident that in saying that they probably tried to use the right side to attack. 

Archived