Jonathan Panzo - signed for Dijon

Heisenberg

Panzo seems exciting and I remember when he went to Monaco big thing we’re expected. But If we get Clarke back I’d be very happy. Got better as the season progressed. Very solid, good defender and is pretty good with his feet. Left sided and obviously a natural fit with the squad. I’d hope it would be with a view to buy.

someone needs to check his birth certificate though. Pretty sure he’s 33 not 23.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He can’t come to Derby for talks because he would have to self-isolate for 14 days and would miss the start of the season. So he has got no option but to stay in France and sign for a French club.   

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He can’t come to Derby for talks because he would have to self-isolate for 14 days and would miss the start of the season. So he has got no option but to stay in France and sign for a French club.   

Stop talking sense!

mind you, professional athletes are exempt. 

Monaco: "Bonjour?"

Derby: "Hi there, Derby County calling. Just wondering if that Panzo lad is for sale?"

Monaco: "Ah, he is as it happens!"

Derby: "Great! How much for?

Monaco: "Well, Dijon are starting the bidding at £4m, so around that sort of price?....Hello?...Hello?....Helllooooo?"

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Monaco: "Bonjour?"

Derby: "Hi there, Derby County calling. Just wondering if that Panzo lad is for sale?"

Monaco: "Ah, he is as it happens!"

Derby: "Great! How much for?

Monaco: "Well, Dijon are starting the bidding at £4m, so around that sort of price?....Hello?...Hello?....Helllooooo?"

Bidding One Dollar GIF by Hyper RPG

Derby are said to have opened the bidding with their first and final offer.

Part of me is thinking this is the type of player we should be signing - potential long term value.

Part of me is thinking we're missing out on a dud. Let's be honest, our last French league player who was supposed to be good was rubbish but he had a crap car.

Part of me is thinking if we have any money it should be on players who can enhance the team immediately.

If he prefers Dijon over Derby then probably a good one to miss out on?

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I just wasted my lunch watching the Slovenia U23 game where he played the full 90 at centre back. 

He's not the player that I thought he would be, that's for sure. I'm not saying that he's not good, far from it, but he's a very different type of player that I was led to believe from reading those that have watched him. 

He played the first half as the middle CB in a back three. He looked to be playing the sweeper role, deeper than both Lloyd Kelly and Marc Guehi who were tasked with playing the ball. He definitely had his best moments in this position. He's decent in the air and he matched up against their striker well when Slovenia played the ball up top. He played this role very much like you would expect Curtis Davies too: extremely deep starting position, covering the other two CBs and doing absolutely nothing adventurous with the ball.  It was easy work and he looked extremely comfortable, although Boothroyd's system is quite chaotic. 

In the second half, he moved to LCB with Ben Wilmot taking his role in the middle and Marc Guehi holding on to the RCB. It forced him into the game a bit more and whilst he was still painfully unadventurous with the ball, he had a few moments that were definitely red flags. He had a couple of misplaced passes when trying to pass into a crowd. I think he tried to keep it very simple purely because he does have quite a limited range of passing. Nevertheless, most of his play was still smart and he often won the battles when they came around. The night did, however, take a rough turn for him. Another one of the red flags I had for him was how ponderous and unresponsive he was at times - he had a couple of moments in the second half where he drifted out of position and the CM had to reign him in. England were 2-0 going into the last 10 minutes, with an extremely bad Slovenia side managing just the one shot on target, yet Ramsdale went to give the ball to Panzo who just didn't anticipate the danger and went to let the ball run across him. The Slovenia player got in ahead of him, with Panzo already running off in a different direction and Slovenia scored. It's a small mistake, really, Ramsdale was just as 'at fault' for playing such a unneeded pass. It didn't just stop there, though, Slovenia's second goal came from a direct free-kick, whereby Panzo failed to deal with a bouncing ball and wrestled their striker down to the ground just outside the area. It was arguably a more concerning bit of play than the first goal. Both incidents, however, weren't easy on the eye. 

I thought Panzo would be in a similar build to Tomori. He's not. Marc Guehi potentially could be and I think you could tell he was leagues ahead of Panzo, who was definitely the better out of the two with Lloyd Kelly so not the worst out of the back 3. Panzo, from that game alone, looked more like Curtis Davies than anything else. A younger Curtis Davies with more mobility, for sure, but that seems to be his playing style. I haven't seen him play left back yet, but I'd imagine he would play it very similarly to how Wisdom plays right back. 

So he's crap then.

10 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

So he's crap then.

No, he's definitely not crap. It doesn't help that he had such a rough ending to the game and cost England U23 both goals that got Slovenia the draw after being so dominant for the entire game. He's just very different to what I expected. 

He's slower and less technical than I expected. He was also more dominant in the air and aggressive than I expected. He certainly looked better than Lloyd Kelly, who I was underwhelmed with, and he signed for Bournemouth 12 months ago for £13m. I think Kelly is a better footballer technically, but I'd suggest Panzo was better in most of the other key departments. 

The only two players that I really struggled with was Ben Wilmot and Max Aarons from that game. Panzo made two key mistakes, but typically he came out on top and made the right decisions in most of his situations. I came away with a much bigger appreciation of Marc Guehi to be honest. He's a brave player, ball-playing centre half who is a great athlete. Technically very sound too. He did very well with Swansea and their fans are desperate for him to return, no surprise really! 

Archived