Jonathan Panzo - signed for Dijon

Heisenberg

I just wasted my lunch watching the Slovenia U23 game where he played the full 90 at centre back. 

He's not the player that I thought he would be, that's for sure. I'm not saying that he's not good, far from it, but he's a very different type of player that I was led to believe from reading those that have watched him. 

He played the first half as the middle CB in a back three. He looked to be playing the sweeper role, deeper than both Lloyd Kelly and Marc Guehi who were tasked with playing the ball. He definitely had his best moments in this position. He's decent in the air and he matched up against their striker well when Slovenia played the ball up top. He played this role very much like you would expect Curtis Davies too: extremely deep starting position, covering the other two CBs and doing absolutely nothing adventurous with the ball.  It was easy work and he looked extremely comfortable, although Boothroyd's system is quite chaotic. 

In the second half, he moved to LCB with Ben Wilmot taking his role in the middle and Marc Guehi holding on to the RCB. It forced him into the game a bit more and whilst he was still painfully unadventurous with the ball, he had a few moments that were definitely red flags. He had a couple of misplaced passes when trying to pass into a crowd. I think he tried to keep it very simple purely because he does have quite a limited range of passing. Nevertheless, most of his play was still smart and he often won the battles when they came around. The night did, however, take a rough turn for him. Another one of the red flags I had for him was how ponderous and unresponsive he was at times - he had a couple of moments in the second half where he drifted out of position and the CM had to reign him in. England were 2-0 going into the last 10 minutes, with an extremely bad Slovenia side managing just the one shot on target, yet Ramsdale went to give the ball to Panzo who just didn't anticipate the danger and went to let the ball run across him. The Slovenia player got in ahead of him, with Panzo already running off in a different direction and Slovenia scored. It's a small mistake, really, Ramsdale was just as 'at fault' for playing such a unneeded pass. It didn't just stop there, though, Slovenia's second goal came from a direct free-kick, whereby Panzo failed to deal with a bouncing ball and wrestled their striker down to the ground just outside the area. It was arguably a more concerning bit of play than the first goal. Both incidents, however, weren't easy on the eye. 

I thought Panzo would be in a similar build to Tomori. He's not. Marc Guehi potentially could be and I think you could tell he was leagues ahead of Panzo, who was definitely the better out of the two with Lloyd Kelly so not the worst out of the back 3. Panzo, from that game alone, looked more like Curtis Davies than anything else. A younger Curtis Davies with more mobility, for sure, but that seems to be his playing style. I haven't seen him play left back yet, but I'd imagine he would play it very similarly to how Wisdom plays right back. 

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.........."I thought Panzo would be in a similar build to Tomori. He's not. Marc Guehi potentially could be and I think you could tell he was leagues ahead of Panzo, who was definitely the better out of the two with Lloyd Kelly so not the worst out of the back 3. Panzo, from that game alone, looked more like Curtis Davies than anything else. A younger Curtis Davies with more mobility, for sure, but that seems to be his playing style. I haven't seen him play left back yet, but I'd imagine he would play it very similarly to how Wisdom plays right back. "

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Very interesting comments. Appreciate the time you put into that. I cant see Panzo being anything more than "Pure journalistic speculation" - as Arthur used to say. We cant possibly (surely) have money to splash around ATM with no income. I could maybe see it if it was a loan....but really if Clarke is returning then we're reasonably well stocked in that area. We need a Martin replacement - unless he decides to come back - which looks less likely as time goes on.....but most definately a proper Winger (not someone who's forced into playing that role).

14 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I just wasted my lunch watching the Slovenia U23 game where he played the full 90 at centre back. 

He's not the player that I thought he would be, that's for sure. I'm not saying that he's not good, far from it, but he's a very different type of player that I was led to believe from reading those that have watched him. 

He played the first half as the middle CB in a back three. He looked to be playing the sweeper role, deeper than both Lloyd Kelly and Marc Guehi who were tasked with playing the ball. He definitely had his best moments in this position. He's decent in the air and he matched up against their striker well when Slovenia played the ball up top. He played this role very much like you would expect Curtis Davies too: extremely deep starting position, covering the other two CBs and doing absolutely nothing adventurous with the ball.  It was easy work and he looked extremely comfortable, although Boothroyd's system is quite chaotic. 

In the second half, he moved to LCB with Ben Wilmot taking his role in the middle and Marc Guehi holding on to the RCB. It forced him into the game a bit more and whilst he was still painfully unadventurous with the ball, he had a few moments that were definitely red flags. He had a couple of misplaced passes when trying to pass into a crowd. I think he tried to keep it very simple purely because he does have quite a limited range of passing. Nevertheless, most of his play was still smart and he often won the battles when they came around. The night did, however, take a rough turn for him. Another one of the red flags I had for him was how ponderous and unresponsive he was at times - he had a couple of moments in the second half where he drifted out of position and the CM had to reign him in. England were 2-0 going into the last 10 minutes, with an extremely bad Slovenia side managing just the one shot on target, yet Ramsdale went to give the ball to Panzo who just didn't anticipate the danger and went to let the ball run across him. The Slovenia player got in ahead of him, with Panzo already running off in a different direction and Slovenia scored. It's a small mistake, really, Ramsdale was just as 'at fault' for playing such a unneeded pass. It didn't just stop there, though, Slovenia's second goal came from a direct free-kick, whereby Panzo failed to deal with a bouncing ball and wrestled their striker down to the ground just outside the area. It was arguably a more concerning bit of play than the first goal. Both incidents, however, weren't easy on the eye. 

I thought Panzo would be in a similar build to Tomori. He's not. Marc Guehi potentially could be and I think you could tell he was leagues ahead of Panzo, who was definitely the better out of the two with Lloyd Kelly so not the worst out of the back 3. Panzo, from that game alone, looked more like Curtis Davies than anything else. A younger Curtis Davies with more mobility, for sure, but that seems to be his playing style. I haven't seen him play left back yet, but I'd imagine he would play it very similarly to how Wisdom plays right back. 

Very good write-up, thanks for that.

I myself read today an interview which he did with Get French Football News over the Summer, and it was interesting to read how he admitted he hadn't worked on his technical side of his game when he was younger, citing he became involved in football much older than you'd expect.

I too was expecting him to be in the mould of Tomori, who was very good technically with and without the ball. Completely different defender judging by the footage I've seen online.

(Not that any of this makes much difference, considering he won't be signing! ?)

Looking back at your career so far, what would you say is the one thing that has helped you develop the most?

Maybe if I was into football a bit more when I was younger, I would have worked on my technical ability, I think I would have been a bit sharper if I was a bit technically better when I was younger.

Is that something you prioritise now in training? For example, Dirk Kuyt was one player who came to football late and said he always felt as if he had to make up for a supposed lack of technical ability – is that how you feel?

That’s how I feel as well, I feel the same way as that. There are things I know I should be a bit better at but obviously you always have to improve in some ways and there are always aspects you need to improve on.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/exclusive-jonathan-panzo-in-2-or-3-years-i-want-to-be-playing-for-one-of-the-big-teams/

56 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

I know he's good Clarke but why would you sign a guy on loan when we could get a permanent instead. We are just developing Clarke for them when we could develop Panzo as our future player 

How do you know we could have got Panzo anyway? You're just assuming we could, quite frankly. You're also assuming that if we were ever actually in for the lad, that he could come straight in and give us what Clarke does. I don't buy into your argument about the value of loans either to be honest. As many clubs make them work as don't.

11 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

How do you know we could have got Panzo anyway? You're just assuming we could, quite frankly. You're also assuming that if we were ever actually in for the lad, that he could come straight in and give us what Clarke does. I don't buy into your argument about the value of loans either to be honest. As many clubs make them work as don't.

I understand your agreement fully if clarke came in on loan with view to a permanent then I would have him instead all day long or if he came on loan and we got promoted out of it unless we addbto the squad in a few key areas I don't see us going up at all and thats why I feel a loan for clarke would be just improving someone else's player. Although though dont get me wrong if it was 4 million I would rather this went for a winger or striker. 

8 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Never seen the guy play, hasn't done much to show he's that good. Dropping a couple mil on this guy would be a risk, much rather have Clarke.

We might not have seen him play but others will have an idea of his potential. 

They will also know what type of lad he is and how he might fit in the team. 

There might be some 'outs' we don't yet know about. 

Who knows? 

Doesn't seem to have progressed much as a story. 

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

To Assume makes an ASS out of U and ME ??

8 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We might not have seen him play but others will have an idea of his potential. 

They will also know what type of lad he is and how he might fit in the team. 

There might be some 'outs' we don't yet know about. 

Who knows? 

Doesn't seem to have progressed much as a story. 

Since the rumours first appeared this seemed very nothingy from the start. He might have potential but not convinced looking at his career to date, Euro league football is very different to the Championship. Rather sign known quantities at this point as finances are tight these days.

2 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

I know he's good Clarke but why would you sign a guy on loan when we could get a permanent instead. We are just developing Clarke for them when we could develop Panzo as our future player 

It's been said already but the 2 loan signings made by Leeds (White and Harrison) played key roles in enabling them to gain promotion and if we did something along similar lines then who's going to worry.

It doesn't look as though Leeds will sign either on a permanent deal but purely by getting to the PL it has enabled them to look much further afield for alternatives, although I think Harrison has signed on loan tor the coming sesson.

People are asking why we'd sign both Panzo and Clarke, unless we're planning on playing 5 at the back. I don't think it's unreasonable, with a back 4: Clarke to be first choice, with Panzo backup in case of injury, and to get some chances in the cups. He'd develop to be a better player, hopefully ready to step into first choice in a year when Clarke went back to Brighton. 

Or maybe he'd going to Dijon and we were never interested. 

Archived