Tribunal Update

Shipley Ram

11 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

The hearing was starting Monday 13th, do you think they have dragged it out all day to continue on the Tuesday and then stating they will sum up and give the answer on Wednesday. looks like they are hanging out for the outcome of our result against Cardiff before making a decision.

It’ll be a few weeks I should think till we hear anything about a decision  

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Topram said:

It’ll be a few weeks I should think till we hear anything about a decision  

Birmingham's was'nt weeks and Barnsley Chairman wants all charges heard and dealt with before the season finishes and stated if not, he would take EFL to court.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

I'm sure if we're out of the playoff places, any points deduction will be next season.

If we scrape into the playoffs, it will be this season.

Don't think that would happen as the cost to the EFL if we missed out on the playoffs and won an appeal would be stupendous. Similarly others could sue if they could have finished above us,  More likely they drag it out and we get a slap on the wrist if we get the playoffs or they take the chance to try to take points if we miss out. Sure that's why we are last in this debacle.

51 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Birmingham's was'nt weeks and Barnsley Chairman wants all charges heard and dealt with before the season finishes and stated if not, he would take EFL to court.

Barnsley are laughable . If they pushed improvement in the team to the most they could under FFP and were in this position despite that I may have some sympathy. There in this position because they got promoted and asset stripped the squad so anything we have or haven't done is irrelevant. Bleedin chancers.

7 hours ago, Dcfc_20 said:

I think we need to be careful, Man City’s case is completely different and if we lose tomorrow I’d just take the punishment of say 7-9 points and not drag it to next season. I think the facade will start to crumble. There’s no smoke without fire.

It's not up to DCFC to decide when the punishment, if any is forthcoming, will be applied.

I'm pretty sure we are already past the point of the season where the points deduction can be applied.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Barnsley are laughable . If they pushed improvement in the team to the most they could under FFP and were in this position despite that I may have some sympathy. There in this position because they got promoted and asset stripped the squad so anything we have or haven't done is irrelevant. Bleedin chancers.

I wouldn't call it laughable that a club is trying to run its self sustainably, I'd actually call it commendable.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I wouldn't call it laughable that a club is trying to run its self sustainably, I'd actually call it commendable.

Absolutely spot on. The thought of him taking the EFL to court over the matter may be laughable but not the way the club appears to be run financially. 

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Absolutely spot on. The thought of him taking the EFL to court over the matter may be laughable but not the way the club appears to be run financially. 

They own several football clubs across the world and are reportedly the 3rd richest owners in football - they did sell almost the entire promotion winning team before the start of the championship season though 

This is interesting:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/53390886

Manchester City European ban overturned - so is FFP dead?

I think the most useful thing for us would be that Man City got this sent to the Court for Arbitration in Sport - Which I assume we could appeal to should the EFL's 'independent panel' come to a decision we don't like 

Seems to essentially boil down to UEFA having not brought the charges quick enough - Which is somewhat similar to the EFL with us - Trying to back-date charges for accounts which they signed off - In this case it's UEFA bringing charges against City relating to 2014 books and waiting until 2019 to do so (which is a bit daft if you ask me)

10 hours ago, plymouthram said:

The hearing was starting Monday 13th, do you think they have dragged it out all day to continue on the Tuesday and then stating they will sum up and give the answer on Wednesday. looks like they are hanging out for the outcome of our result against Cardiff before making a decision.

Sheffield wed hearing lasted 2 weeks, and now a further 10 days have elapsed since it ended. Still no verdict. 

23 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Sheffield wed hearing lasted 2 weeks, and now a further 10 days have elapsed since it ended. Still no verdict. 

Perhaps they're waiting for our hearing to complete so that they can say that they heard arguments from both clubs and that Wednesday were clearly far more guilty than us - so they are relegated to League 2 whereas we did nothing wrong and so we're given an 50 point bonus and Mel is allowed to do anything he wants for the next 5 years....

On a more serious note, the EFL seem to make up the punishments on the fly so announcing Wednesday's penalties before ours may not be a wise move - Wednesday reportedly tried to manipulate their accounts to move their stadium sale into a different accounting year (which may be considered as fraud) whereas we're acused of selling the ground for more than the EFL now think it's worth (ethically a bit 'iffy' but the transaction was allowed by the rules at the time) - I'm sure they'll want to make sure the penalties they issue are in proportion to the seriousness of the charges. 

10 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Poor old Barnsley. They are going to need 3 teams to have points deductions of up to 19 points in order for them to avoid relegation.

Surely the rules are all laid out crystal clear, therefore we either did or did not break FFP. If it is down to us misinterpreting the ‘rules’ then that is on the EFL for not providing clear and transparent guidelines. If we broke them, we just need to take the sanction (I feel this is unlikely given the clubs stance)

So to cut to the point, why the heck has this process taken so long?? It just casts a shadow over the enjoyment of the game. The EFL would be best remembering it is the fans that ultimately fund them and dragging these situations out turns fans away. 

2 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Surely the rules are all laid out crystal clear, therefore we either did or did not break FFP. If it is down to us misinterpreting the ‘rules’ then that is on the EFL for not providing clear and transparent guidelines. If we broke them, we just need to take the sanction (I feel this is unlikely given the clubs stance)

So to cut to the point, why the heck has this process taken so long?? It just casts a shadow over the enjoyment of the game. The EFL would be best remembering it is the fans that ultimately fund them and dragging these situations out turns fans away. 

If you believe what the club is saying:

We didn't break FFP. But then the EFL decided we did.

They were notified of a professional, independent valuation of Pride Park Stadium, which the EFL asked for a small adjustment to. We obliged. The sale went through, which was included in that set of accounts, which were then signed off.

Then they changed their mind, and weren't happy with the valuation.

On your second point, well, the list of possibilities include, sorting the Wednesday case out, global pandemic, Wigan administration, ineptitude, getting the merry independent panel together, everyone submitting evidence, lawyers being hired... Take your pick. I could go on.

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Even with a 12 point deduction, Wigan will probably still gain enough points to stay up

Wigan think they have a case on the grounds of force majeure.

Add into that comments made by the EFL chairman Rick Parry and the EFL's own 'Owners and Directors Test' and the case could drag on for months. 

Even if that did result in a points deduction, I can't see how it could possibly be done this season.

21 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

If you believe what the club is saying:

We didn't break FFP. But then the EFL decided we did.

They were notified of a professional, independent valuation of Pride Park Stadium, which the EFL asked for a small adjustment to. We obliged. The sale went through, which was included in that set of accounts, which were then signed off.

Then they changed their mind, and weren't happy with the valuation.

On your second point, well, the list of possibilities include, sorting the Wednesday case out, global pandemic, Wigan administration, ineptitude, getting the merry independent panel together, everyone submitting evidence, lawyers being hired... Take your pick. I could go on.

Or Gibson changed the EFL's mind as he wasn't happy with the valuation.....regardless of it being nothing whatsoever to do with him.

Archived