Tribunal Update

Shipley Ram

Given that Mel has already indicated that he doesn’t think we’ve done anything wrong, I really can’t see him backing down and accepting any sort of sanctions or punishment without taking it through the courts as far as he can. Don’t forget that the EFL have effectively accused Mel of cheating - folk in his position (with his resources) don’t accept accusations that are  damaging to his reputation without a fight - if this doesn’t get thrown out very quickly (as it should is the club statement is true) I can see it taking a long time to resolve and being extremely damaging to the EFL. They’re already under scrutiny for the way they’ve allowed Bolton and Bury to suffer - now they’re accused of allowing Wigan to be screwed over. Follow that up with a long and expensive legal battle with Mel and it may prove terminal....

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Steve Gibsons back side smells like double Gloucester cheese mixed with red wine vinegar.

How do I know?

Rick Parry told me, the incompetent, power hungry, Middlesbrough loving, brown nosing, ******.

Are you sure, looking at him he seems more essence of mayonnaise thats been left in the sun with a slight hint of 70's disco beat  

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Between feb 19 and jan 20 we spent nearly 2.2 million on agent fees????. We've not signed anyone but Bielik and a couple of loans.. Swansea and Stoke spent over 5 mil.  No wonder everyones skint in this league.

We hired Cocu. Some agent fees there I guess. 

Agent fees for contract extensions too. 

Also, selling clubs often pay agent fees... Especially when trying to offload players they don't want. 

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Are you sure, looking at him he seems more essence of mayonnaise thats been left in the sun with a slight hint of 70's disco beat  

Bechamel sauce on a parmo, not mayonnaise.

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Given that Mel has already indicated that he doesn’t think we’ve done anything wrong, I really can’t see him backing down and accepting any sort of sanctions or punishment without taking it through the courts as far as he can. Don’t forget that the EFL have effectively accused Mel of cheating - folk in his position (with his resources) don’t accept accusations that are  damaging to his reputation without a fight - if this doesn’t get thrown out very quickly (as it should is the club statement is true) I can see it taking a long time to resolve and being extremely damaging to the EFL. They’re already under scrutiny for the way they’ve allowed Bolton and Bury to suffer - now they’re accused of allowing Wigan to be screwed over. Follow that up with a long and expensive legal battle with Mel and it may prove terminal....

Looking at past evidence (e.g. with Sam Rush, past managers) Mel has settled out of court after big talk. I suspect that if the conclusion was a slap on the wrists, a small fine but no points penalty (like Birmingham got) then Mel would accept that and move on. 

Sadly we are bound to be found guilty as this is Derby; bad things just seem to happen to our club. 

If we are punished, it’s the players that suffer as their hard-earned points are taken away due to club mis-management. Same goes for the fans. 

If we are found not guilty, it’ll be one of the few things that has gone our way in this crazy season. ?

Derby’s main defence is that the EFL were aware of what we were doing and signed off the accounts, and now the EFL are looking to retrospectively apply punishment. Therefore the EFL must surely prove there were caveats to their sign off which haven’t been met, or that they were misled by Derby in some way during the sign off process.

Ive always taken the club’s line on this and think there is no case to answer but who knows. I agree with what others have said, if we are found guilty, a definite mitigation is the inconsistency with the way the EFL have applied the rules, another mitigation could be that we are taking all the right steps to be within FFP limits going forward (eg. The target to have 50% squad made up with academy players and driving towards a more sustainable model), so it might be we’re found guilty but mitigations are taken into consideration in the sanctions, and maybe 18/19 accounts are then ignored because they would have been directly impacted by decisions taken due to the EFL signing off the previous set of accounts.

Whatever happens just hope it’s applied this season as it could really screw us next (unless we find our MoJo and beat Brentford today and storm back into the playoff race)

10 hours ago, Gaspode said:

I don’t think it’s without precedent for an individual (like Mel) or an entity to vigorously claim their innocence but to still end up reaching some kind of out of court settlement especially if the EFL publicly accept some mitigation not only to save face for Mel (if they’re inclined to do so if they know it reduce the chances of a court case) but also to justify a less severe punishment.

No-one can be confident about the outcome.
We don’t know what was disclosed or not disclosed, or how the valuation was achieved.

Anyone in a fair hearing can only be found guilty of something if they have broken rules or fraudulently misapplied them. The club have said they sought the approval of the law makers (EFL) before embarking on a course of action. If the club have this approval in writing and followed the approved course it seems impossible to my simple brain that we can even begin to be thinking we may be guilty of anything.

Its not what we did, its the size of the valuation. We got £80m and the EFL said it should have been £60m. Therefore they have to prove we got a dodgy valuation.

We used a massive U.S. corporation who also could face problems if the EFL win their case. Therefore I would imagine they will send legal representation too. Very expensive and very skilful representation.

It's about time someone dug in and really challenged the EFL on their nonsense. Might as well be us. 

Don't settle for a deal which lets them claim the moral victory and carry on arbitrarily doing this to other clubs. Nothing will change if we do that. Take them on, beat them and show them up. It's the only way to force them to do things differently. 

It is interesting that the Sheffield Wednesday verdict is not being released and the EFL want our case dealt with first, I suspect that because our representative also handled their case things may well need to be repeated but will similar interpretations be met if the panel is different? A very complicated situation unfolding it seems 

21 minutes ago, sage said:

Its not what we did, its the size of the valuation. We got £80m and the EFL said it should have been £60m. Therefore they have to prove we got a dodgy valuation.

We used a massive U.S. corporation who also could face problems if the EFL win their case. Therefore I would imagine they will send legal representation too. Very expensive and very skilful representation.

I thought the valuation of £80m was part of the approval we got in writing from the EFL?

3 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

I thought the valuation of £80m was part of the approval we got in writing from the EFL?

Maybe, maybe they didn't see all the details. I don't know but that is the crux of the matter.

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

That was what Derby said.

The EFL asked for a small adjustment which was done.

If we are found guilty i would hope at least there is some transparency from the EFL on the process followed including, if its true what Derby said, an acceptance of their part in the matter and admittance of the errors they have made.

This all assumes the statement Derby issued was true and factual, but I have no reason to believe that it would be anything but.

Archived