Tribunal Update

Shipley Ram

13 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Still nothing from the EFL then? A cynic might think they're dragging things out as long as they can in order to scupper another transfer window for the club. They've waited a long time for their revenge, after all and we're clearly guilty until proven innocent.

Check this thread on Friday at 6pm (maybe 7pm). That's when things will get interesting.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Whatever the outcome if it is this week there will be an appeal so there will be no real closure. If we win the EFL will appeal, if they win then Mel will appeal. This may drag on for a good while yet.

Unless the EFL hold their hands up and admit they were wrong to charge us in the first place and they'd like to apologise by giving us a 12 point head start next season....

26 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

Yes, I read that as well. Not sure there is a legal case to answer in this though? If the governance of the EFL is by the EFL can the courts intervene? 

I think they might claim damages ££££ based the EFL not doing their job properly, but it won't change the relegation. Although in theory lots of clubs could claim to be damaged by EFL incompetence.

14 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Define "interesting".

Sounds ominous. Are you ITK about a verdict that will "kick things off"?

The EFL like making their announcements once everyone has left the office (6/7pm). Sheff Weds verdict was revealed on Friday so they had a whole weekend out of the office for things to calm down a bit. I'd expect ours to also be a Friday and at a similar time.

On 02/08/2020 at 11:22, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

I don’t really know what a transition season is ? I presume it’s most seasons when a manager is changed. 

It is a season where we start with little hope, ambition, or expectation.  A season where we don't realistically expect to be challenging for honours/promotion/play offs, but also a season where, rather than give up, and hope we don't get relegated, we attempt to improve matters to such an extent (by bringing in better players/promoting the kids/generally improving the playing/coaching staff etc) that by the start of the following season, we do have that confidence, that expectation, and that ambition, and we go for it.

... and then Keogh goes and lays it off to Zamora, and we start all over again!   ?

21 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

That's one of the problems though isn't it?

People assume it's some sort of wheeze for P&S reasons, yet applied correctly with realistic values applied, it's actually a more honest way of doing things.

Like yourself, I wouldn't accuse the club of not valuing assets correctly, little point to kicking the can down the road now a rolling average over 3 seasons is the measurement.

Again we get into the difference between legal accounting and the vagaries of the  EFL P&S rules

We've done nothing at all wrong in legal accounting terms. Directors of the club don't want to go to jail and this is not a criminal (or even a civil) trial.

All that has really happened is we have come up with a better way of amortising player contract value so that it helps us stay within the P&S rules that all the clubs agreed

The fact that not all clubs have handled their accounting that way is not our fault, and probably some sour grapes from a select few

I remember at least two interviews in the past couple of years where MM talked about how nebulous the P&S rules were and how there were lots of ways to interpret them, and circumnavigate them.

It's all a nonsense. Essentially the EFL should be eating humble pie and admitting that the P&S rules they have agreed do not stand up to scrutiny. With a bit of luck any truly  indepndent tribunal will be laughing them out of the room

27 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Again we get into the difference between legal accounting and the vagaries of the  EFL P&S rules

We've done nothing at all wrong in legal accounting terms. Directors of the club don't want to go to jail and this is not a criminal (or even a civil) trial.

All that has really happened is we have come up with a better way of amortising player contract value so that it helps us stay within the P&S rules that all the clubs agreed

The fact that not all clubs have handled their accounting that way is not our fault, and probably some sour grapes from a select few

I remember at least two interviews in the past couple of years where MM talked about how nebulous the P&S rules were and how there were lots of ways to interpret them, and circumnavigate them.

It's all a nonsense. Essentially the EFL should be eating humble pie and admitting that the P&S rules they have agreed do not stand up to scrutiny. With a bit of luck any truly  indepndent tribunal will be laughing them out of the room

Excellent post Schtive couldn't agree more!!

3 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Does it now seem certain that if we get a 12 point deduction that it will be next season and it will be somewhat difficult to get promotion.

Not necessarily impossible though @Rampage.  

If you accept that 12 points represents 4 losses then bear in mind that the clubs that reached the play offs this season lost 13 matches (Brentford), 12 matches (Swansea) and 11 matches (Cardiff and Fulham).  Leeds lost 9 and WBA 7.

What we would have to do is to have a top two type of season to get into the play offs for sure and once you're in and around the top then pressure can do funny things with other clubs, as Swansea found out this year.

The advantage we will have is that we will know the situation from the outset

27 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Not necessarily impossible though @Rampage.  

If you accept that 12 points represents 4 losses then bear in mind that the clubs that reached the play offs this season lost 13 matches (Brentford), 12 matches (Swansea) and 11 matches (Cardiff and Fulham).  Leeds lost 9 and WBA 7.

What we would have to do is to have a top two type of season to get into the play offs for sure and once you're in and around the top then pressure can do funny things with other clubs, as Swansea found out this year.

The advantage we will have is that we will know the situation from the outset

I feel better now, ilkelyram. My season is saved. COYR

Archived