Live football thread.

Rev

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I used to watch so many Barca games a few years back. Call me a glory supporter, but I think my fondness was actually for key players rather than the club itself as I have little interest in them now.

Aside from Messi, Xavi and Iniesta being the big three, the likes of Puyol, Abidal, Dani Alves, Pedro, Rakitic, Mascherano, David Villa, Suarez, Neymar, Pique, Jordi Alba and Busquets really complimented the team well.

Only the latter three remain and they're a good three years past their best. It's probably a shame they haven't moved on too.

Not that they will tarnish their reputation as such, but I don't know how they can enjoy their football right now after what they achieved previously while the club can't move on with past it players on really high wages still.

I just like that it’s proof that football goes in cycles. Teams can look completely indestructible sitting pretty at the top, but eventually, with a little patience, after a generation or two, the pack will be reshuffled. We’re in a shitty position at the minute, but if Barcelona can fall, one day we will rise. 

7 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Complete dive by Cov. Martinesque. Worked 2-1 

Blatant dive. The EFL and the FA need to look at these clear acts of cheating and punish club and player. Will they? Will they heck.

Liverpool vs Man City has become a phenonemal fixture over the past few years. It has probably been the best fixture in world football and matches the quality of el clasico between 2010-15.

It's the way both teams play. Even when it was Pellegrini and Rodgers in charge, they served up some brilliant games.

Far better than the Liverpool vs United or City vs Chelsea fixtures which are often boring.

20 minutes ago, sage said:

Atwell Strikes Again!!

He is in charge of the VAR in the Spain v France final and gives Mbappe onside when he is a yard off and he has a still shot. Loon. 

French TV said that Garcia touches the ball so MBP is not offisde. They are terribly biased and Atwell is craap, never mind we'll have it anyway

10 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

French TV said that Garcia touches the ball so MBP is not offisde. They are terribly biased and Atwell is craap, never mind we'll have it anyway

it's a shocking interpretation of the rule. 

Trying to suggest the Spanish defender deliberately passed it backwards.

Atwell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Edited by sage

19 minutes ago, sage said:

I believe the letter of the law says a 'deliberate attempt to pass the ball backwards'  

"deliberate attempt to play the ball" are the words being used in the beeb analysis. 

Garcia adjudged to have been attempting a clearance so the fact that he touched the ball whilst making the attempt is apparently being deemed deliberate. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

it's a shocking interpretation of the rule. 

Trying to suggest the Spanish defender deliberately passed it backwards.

Atwell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

'A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage'

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

'A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage'

Surely he is offside as the pass was being made to him. Its all about passages of play. The touch was to prevent the through ball, to stop it reaching the offside player. 

7 hours ago, sage said:

Surely he is offside as the pass was being made to him. Its all about passages of play. The touch was to prevent the through ball, to stop it reaching the offside player. 

If he's offside from the first kick by the attacking player, and it goes through without a deliberate play by the defending player, then its offside. If the defending player deliberately plays the ball, the offside resets and there's no offside offence. 

So as per the laws of the game, its onside. Just one of those things. If you want to blame anyone, blame IFAB. 

Edited by Wazztie16

7 hours ago, sage said:

See Law 11 section 2. P. 93 of the FIFA laws of the game document.

Sorry, can't seem to get it to copy and paste on my phone.

1 hour ago, Wazztie16 said:

If he's offside from the first kick by the attacking player, and it goes through without a deliberate play by the defending player, then its offside. If the defending player deliberately plays the ball, the offside resets and there's no offside offence. 

So as per the laws of the game, its onside. Just one of those things. If you want to blame anyone, blame IFAB. 

Say that touch rolls through to the keeper, would it have counted as a back pass?