Best Derby game you've ever been to?

Sean

18 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

1972-3 vs Benfica  3-0

There is as much chance of Dominic Cummings staying at home as we have of seeing anything like that again

Definately this one, my very first game and the catalyst for a 48 year love affair. Closely followed by Real Madrid and more recently the play off semi at Leeds with too many to remember inbetween

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Premier ram said:

leeds away in the play offs last season , still makes me smile now

If I had gone to the game rather than seeing it on tv it would have run my current 1st choice very close. Like the Benfica game it was still at the top of my thoughts for many days afterwards.

No way I could pick a number one, but off the top of my head, these stand out (in no particular order):

12-0 v Finn Harps (I presume this was my first Euro game?  I can only remember that one, plus the defeat to AEK Athens?)
4-1 v Forest.
5-0 v Forest.
2-0 Cup win v Forest.
Coffee Cup v Forest.
4-0 v City (Peno spot game).
1-2 at City (Maine Rd, Late '70's).
0-2 at Newcastle (Both goals scored by the No 5... Roy Mac, and an OG?)
8-2 v Spurs.
Alan Hinton's Testimonial.
Tin Man's Testimonial.
PO Semi v Southampton.

The "Wish I was there" games:

'46 Cup Final (Waaaay before my time!)
The bigger and more famous Euro nights (I was born, but not started going to footy at that stage).
The much lauded Chelsea League Cup night game. (Ditto).
The 10 man game at Forest.
The Rotherham Friday night game (Out the loop for most of the '80's, due to family commitments/lack of spare dosh!) 
PO Semi at Leeds (Watched it at home).
PO Semi v Brighton (Watched it in a Spanish bar).
PO Final v WBA (Watched it in a Spanish bar).

The "Wish I wasn't there" games:

0-3 at third division Preston FA cup late 70's.
0-5 at Anfield... 0-4 at Anfield... 0-3 at Anfield... Improving, but I don't think I'll bother going to Anfield again!  LOL!
0-3 at Cambridge... Welcome to the second tier!

The "So glad I wasn't there" games:

Fester PO Final.
QPR PO Final.
Hillsborough '76.

Derby 3-0 Arsenal 97/98

Man Utd 2-3 Derby 96/97

Derby 4-0 Southampton 97/98

Derby 5-0 Forest 13/14

Forest 0-1 Derby 12/13

My top 5 for today. Probably get 3 different games in there if I was to answer tomorrow. 

Derby 3-2 L**ds

Derby 4-1 F----t

Derby 2-0 F----t

I wish I'd been there for last year's PO semi, second leg.

Is there a common pattern?

Ok, a couple of others, mind both of these were in Sheffield...

Sheff Utd 0-1 Derby

Sheff Wed 2-5 Derby

One of the worst was the PO final against Fester, had to then drive all the way back to Glasgow afterwards.

My first Rams match, Ipswich 2 Rams 6 in 1976, my first Baseball Ground match, FA Cup 1-0 defeat v Manure when Whiteside scored the winner, the 2 victories away at Spurs in the late 80's, winning away at Saints around the same time, when Shilton and Wright returned and Wright had coins thrown at him, the 1-1 draw v Sheff Wed in the Cup, the game that was postponed about 3 rimes due to snow and a frozen pitch, the Rotherham cool as custard match, the 3-3 draw with Wednesday when we were 3-1 down with 2 mins to go, a couple of home wins v the Dirties in the last 10 years, the 5-0 home win v Wolves and the 5-0 home win v Hull...and the 1-0 Wembley win v West Brom...just some that come to mind...….

PO semi home and away v Southampton strong memory of watching Howard score that looping header in the first leg and thinking we are going to do this!! Atmosphere at the home leg was nothing I have experienced before or after at PP.

Reading away 2018 Lamps first game... never celebrated a goal that wildly before, I think the whole away end stayed for about 15 mins after the game chanting. poo game but that moment was special.

Perhaps not favourite but a memorable one was Villa 2008 6-0 loss... I just remember the crowd going nuts this game and the whole stadium pretending to cheer a goal ! Petrov scored from the half way line and it just turned into a party atmosphere! I felt proud to be apart of something that day, 33k fans still turning up and making the best of the dross served up. 

On 24/05/2020 at 02:52, sunnyhill60 said:

1972-3 vs Benfica  3-0

There is as much chance of Dominic Cummings staying at home as we have of seeing anything like that again

Yes would be my choice too.

Bill Shankly said at the time that it was the best display of football he had ever seen.

I would go further there is more chance of Keogh dating Miss World than seeing that again.

Leeds away, without a doubt. Two litres of G&T on the bus in a Buxton’s water bottle, Dad didn’t even know Marriott had come on let alone who’d scored, we both missed the second because it took that long to get a drink, got another drink because I’ve missed one so I may as well, cried when Wilson scored, cried when we won, lost my sunglasses but ended up coming away with a bucket hat and the scarf Lampard threw into the crowd, hour inside Elland Road just celebrating then as we’re about to go home the bus won’t start and we have to stand outside Elland Road for an hour whilst a new one was sent out. Decided to ring my 86 year-old Mammar to say that “we’ve ducking done it” only for her to think I was my cousin and she had no clue what was going on. Copious amounts of gin at the services, copious amounts of Martinis back home. Highlights and Sportscene reaction being played alternately all through the night.  

Derby 3 - 2 Leeds (November 1975), with Frannie Lee v Norman Hunter as the in-match support act.

First time I ever stood on the Popside and it will stay with me forever, what a game. Big Roger as super-sub with the MotD Goal of the Month to clinch it.

In chronological order

Derby 4 Forest 1 

Derby 2 Forest 0 Cup

Derby 3 Newcastle 2

Derby 2 Rotherham 1

Sheffield United 0 Derby 1

Derby 4 Plymouth 2

Derby 2 Man Utd 2

Derby 3 Everton 2

Man utd 1 Derby 2

Derby 3 Sheff Wed 3 Cup

Derby 4 Sheff wed 2