Best Derby game you've ever been to?

Sean

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I wasn't sure who were most pissed that day the crowd or the players from celebrating as i remember it was a hot sunny day , Carlisle already relegated ( Think they beat us 3-0 away earlier in the season) and neither team raised energy levels above a gentle jog.

I would have been 12, and being my first game, I was of course in awe of the whole occasion.

Your memory serves you well, as literally ALL I can remember is the post match lap of honour, with the trophy indeed glistening in the bright sunlight, and the comments around me (Ley Stand Normo wing) all through the game along the lines of "The buggers are all still pi55ed"!   ?

8 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I would have been 12, and being my first game, I was of course in awe of the whole occasion.

Your memory serves you well, as literally ALL I can remember is the post match lap of honour, with the trophy indeed glistening in the bright sunlight, and the comments around me (Ley Stand Normo wing) all through the game along the lines of "The buggers are all still pi55ed"!   ?

Around 25-30 of us got an early train from Utch (maybe 10.00am, its a long time ago!)....there was already ex pat Rams fans on it from Stoke and the North West as well as a few Carlisle United fans. They'd lived the dream that season, promoted to the top division for the first time in their history, they were punching well above their weight and had a fantastic season. I seem to recall they actually led the league after a couple of games before slipping away - always had a soft spot for them from that day as the lads on our train were really nice and just having an end of season party at the League Champions.

The whole day was surreal...a home match on a Saturday where you had already clinched the League on the previous Wednesday, it was a red hot sunny day, everybody was carrying packs of beer on the station, on the train and walking round town before heading up the Baseball Ground. 

The Popside was absolutely jam-packed, scarves and flags everywhere, everyone knew the players were doing a lap of honour with the League trophy at the end of the match. Everyone knew we would be on the pitch after that....no mobile phones , no internet, yet everyone knew exactly what to do. Spontaneous orgasmic celebrations all the way through the match......non stop singing and jumping up and down....

We partied all evening round town, singing our hearts out in the Market Place and St.Peters Street.

What a day, what a party.

Most of us missed the last train back home, we were a sorry, hungover bunch, sharing cigarettes on Midland station as we blagged our way onto the 5.00am Mail train to Utch.

I have vague memories of us nicking bottles of milk on the way home from shop doorways to ease the hangovers.....

48 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Around 25-30 of us got an early train from Utch (maybe 10.00am, its a long time ago!)....there was already ex pat Rams fans on it from Stoke and the North West as well as a few Carlisle United fans. They'd lived the dream that season, promoted to the top division for the first time in their history, they were punching well above their weight and had a fantastic season. I seem to recall they actually led the league after a couple of games before slipping away - always had a soft spot for them from that day as the lads on our train were really nice and just having an end of season party at the League Champions.

The whole day was surreal...a home match on a Saturday where you had already clinched the League on the previous Wednesday, it was a red hot sunny day, everybody was carrying packs of beer on the station, on the train and walking round town before heading up the Baseball Ground. 

The Popside was absolutely jam-packed, scarves and flags everywhere, everyone knew the players were doing a lap of honour with the League trophy at the end of the match. Everyone knew we would be on the pitch after that....no mobile phones , no internet, yet everyone knew exactly what to do. Spontaneous orgasmic celebrations all the way through the match......non stop singing and jumping up and down....

We partied all evening round town, singing our hearts out in the Market Place and St.Peters Street.

Most of us missed the last train back home, we were a sorry, hungover bunch, sharing cigarettes on Midland station as we blagged our way onto the 5.00am Mail train to Utch.

I have vague memories of us nicking bottles of milk on the way home from shop doorways to ease the hangovers.....

That day was nothing compared to our previous title win...I was getting rather bored of winning league championships by then!?

14 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

We had a five-a-side team at university and you could argue that we carried a couple even in that.

In fact, my friend argues that I was ahead of my time in that no one had even heard of 'walking football' at the time.

On 28/05/2020 at 19:04, IronRam 140.6 said:

Mine is probably my first game too.

Derby 4 v Chelsea 6. Hooked from then on.

Remember that we’ll, what a game. I know we lost but what a brilliant game of football 

On 27/05/2020 at 23:28, uttoxram75 said:

That's where my milk went the next morning!!!

You know what, been to many great games in the past 40 odd years, but after thus lick down, the next one, when we are all allowed back will be massive, missing watching my Derby so so much now. Can not wait to return. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

On 25/05/2020 at 03:26, Mucker1884 said:

No way I could pick a number one, but off the top of my head, these stand out (in no particular order):

12-0 v Finn Harps (I presume this was my first Euro game?  I can only remember that one, plus the defeat to AEK Athens?)
4-1 v Forest.
5-0 v Forest.
2-0 Cup win v Forest.
Coffee Cup v Forest.
4-0 v City (Peno spot game).
1-2 at City (Maine Rd, Late '70's).
0-2 at Newcastle (Both goals scored by the No 5... Roy Mac, and an OG?)
8-2 v Spurs.
Alan Hinton's Testimonial.
Tin Man's Testimonial.
PO Semi v Southampton.

The "Wish I was there" games:

'46 Cup Final (Waaaay before my time!)
The bigger and more famous Euro nights (I was born, but not started going to footy at that stage).
The much lauded Chelsea League Cup night game. (Ditto).
The 10 man game at Forest.
The Rotherham Friday night game (Out the loop for most of the '80's, due to family commitments/lack of spare dosh!) 
PO Semi at Leeds (Watched it at home).
PO Semi v Brighton (Watched it in a Spanish bar).
PO Final v WBA (Watched it in a Spanish bar).

The "Wish I wasn't there" games:

0-3 at third division Preston FA cup late 70's.
0-5 at Anfield... 0-4 at Anfield... 0-3 at Anfield... Improving, but I don't think I'll bother going to Anfield again!  LOL!
0-3 at Cambridge... Welcome to the second tier!

The "So glad I wasn't there" games:

Fester PO Final.
QPR PO Final.
Hillsborough '76.

I was sat in the paddock for the Finn Harps game. The only time in hundreds of games that I caught the ball.

Which incidentally is something Keel Roos said to his missus after his last game.

I'm torn between Benfica and Real Madrid.

But in all honesty, in terms of going absolutely mental, the 2-1 win over Forest in the cup and Cloughie's return was pretty special.

I remember Taylor and Roy Mac  going absolutely mental when Archie scored.

And then Taylor told Gary Newbon (I think) in an interview after the game 'we could have been playing Doncaster Pork Butchers for all I care, I'm just focussed on Carlisle away next Saturday'

No doubt that's a false memory and @Eatonram will correct me.

5 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm torn between Benfica and Real Madrid.

But in all honesty, in terms of going absolutely mental, the 2-1 win over Forest in the cup and Cloughie's return was pretty special.

I remember Taylor and Roy Mac  going absolutely mental when Archie scored.

And then Taylor told Gary Newbon (I think) in an interview after the game 'we could have been playing Doncaster Pork Butchers for all I care, I'm just focussed on Carlisle away next Saturday'

No doubt that's a false memory and @Eatonram will correct me.

I'll be the one to correct you. It was 2-0.

Archived