Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Saving Private Ryan

First 20 minutes are good, then it kind of falls into a well made, but boring "USA! USA!" trap.

Sure, everyone's clothes are dirty but their teeth are too white. Never really escapes the sense that it's Hollywood ponces playing dress up for me, opening scenes aside.

6/10

On 30/01/2022 at 08:18, JoetheRam said:

Saving Private Ryan

First 20 minutes are good, then it kind of falls into a well made, but boring "USA! USA!" trap.

Sure, everyone's clothes are dirty but their teeth are too white. Never really escapes the sense that it's Hollywood ponces playing dress up for me, opening scenes aside.

6/10

For greater authenticity, it would probably have benefited from Alec Baldwin being in the cast firing off a few rounds.

On 30/01/2022 at 08:18, JoetheRam said:

Saving Private Ryan

6/10

it's another one for the 'you don't have to watch it all' thread. First and last 20 minutes will do you

Censor

British horror film, set in 1985 against the backdrop of the "video nasties" controversy. A film sensor becomes obsessed with the work of a horror film producer, after one of his films reminds her of the events around her sister's disappearance many years before.

Different; Interesting & disturbing. I liked it.

7/10

On 15/01/2022 at 07:15, r4derby said:

I’m a fan of the MCU and Marvel in general, and I can’t disagree with too much of that summary. The film all feels a bit out of of place from even the ‘ever-expanding multiverse’, introducing a lot of new heroes who don’t appear to add much and are bland.

I did enjoy Black Widow and Shang-Chi though. Maybe it is becoming a thing for the fans, with audiences becoming more split as more knowledge of the universe is required to watch the films. I’m just hoping this years slate of films (which looks promising) is more along the Ragnarok/Black Panther mold.

Watched this the other day.  Agree all that and @86 Hair Islands review.  Didn't hear great things as I went into this, but do like to make up my own mind.  Should have listened to the reviews.  Very disappointing.  30 minutes too long.  But as a fan of MCU I feel I have to watch them....only difference these days is that as I have Disney+ I tend to wait for them to come on there rather than see them all in the cinema, not least there's a gazillion films and shows coming out over the next couple of years or so.  If you want an MCU fix - see below for what's in plan:

Films

• Thor: Love and Thunder                                         July 8 2022
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness       May 6, 2022
  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever                            Nov. 11, 2022
  • The Marvels                                                             Feb. 17, 2023
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3                               May 5, 2023
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania                  July 28, 2023
  • Fantastic Four                                                         TBA
  • Blade                                                                        TBA
  • Captain America 4                                                  TBA
  • Deadpool 3                                                              TBA
  • Spiderman 4                                                            TBA
  • Shang Chi 2                                                             TBA

Shows on Disney+

• WandaVision                                                             Out Now
  • The Falcon and the Winter Soldier                         Out Now
  • Loki                                                                           Out Now
  • What If...?                                                                  Out Now
  • Hawkeye                                                                   Out Now
  • Ms. Marvel                                                                Summer 2022
  • Moon Knight                                                             March 30, 2022
  • She-Hulk                                                                   TBA 2022
  • What...If? season 2                                                   TBA 2022
  • The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special        December 2022
  • Secret Invasion                                                         TBA 2022
  • Agatha: House of Harkness                                     TBA
  • Armor Wars                                                               TBA
  • Echo                                                                          TBA
  • Ironheart                                                                   TBA
  • Untitled Wakanda series                                          TBA
  • I Am Groot                                                                 TBA
  • Spiderman-Freshman Years                                    TBA

One of those days Independence Day was on the TellyBox. A  9.5/10. Fantastic. I feel in our current dire situation, the President's great speech has an extra special resonance:

Lines such as...

We're fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny or oppression or persecution, but from annihilation.

We're fighting for our right to live, to exist ...

We will not go quietly into the night.

We will not vanish without a fight.

We're going to live on, we're going to survive.

I look forward to a time when we can celebrate our own Derby survival day.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Watched Power Of The Dog last night given it’s critical acclaim.

Like Brokeback Mountain but without the sheep, inaudible mumbling and, actually, much of a story line.

3/10

Yes I must admit I’m struggling with it. I’ve paused after half an hour and I’m not desperate to see what happens.

I heard someone say it’s BC’s greatest performance. They obviously didn’t see him in Patrick Melrose.

Looking forward to the dog coming into it. Dogfight at the OK Corral?

Scary statistics regarding what I've been doing in the pandemic (and before)...

I took out my Netflix subscription in March, 2019

Since that date, I have watched 546 separate movies and 2328 separate episodes of tv shows (I downloaded my viewing history and performed a little spreadsheet wizardry). I've also watched 320 movies on Amazon Prime, but that's over a much longer period.

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Scary statistics regarding what I've been doing in the pandemic (and before)...

I took out my Netflix subscription in March, 2019

Since that date, I have watched 546 separate movies and 2328 separate episodes of tv shows (I downloaded my viewing history and performed a little spreadsheet wizardry). I've also watched 320 movies on Amazon Prime, but that's over a much longer period.

That's impressive! I reckon I started around the same time. I'm pretty sure I've not watched any movies. I've watched maybe six or seven series. 

The Lost Daughter (Netflix)

A woman's quiet seaside vacation takes an unsettling turn when her fixation on a young mother staying at a nearby villa......

Weird, unsettling. Olivia Colman is great (as usual) as this very complex character.

A good 7/10 from me.