Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Ammonite.

Not into Fossils/Dinosaurs one bit, but due to covid, we've holidayed in each of the last two Septembers in and around Lyme Regis, with much rambling along The Jurassic Coast.

This is a true story that took place there, and was filmed there, and in truth, that's about the only reason Muckerette wanted to see it, so with the aid of a freebie month of Amazon Prime, we gave it a try last night.

My God, it was dull!  ?

OK, we knew there would be hints of lesbianism in there, and as expected, Kate Winslett does of course get her fossils out for the lads again, but I have to say, there was a bit more of a hint than expected... Not sure I'd be comfortable watching this with 15 year olds in the room, which it's rated for!  

But I'm really not sure that the main subject, or the main true-life character (Mary Anning) warrant an actual film making about them.

Maybe you have to be a full on Dinosaur nerd, or Fossil-Fan, to appreciate the story line.

Still... at least we recognised a lot of the scenery!  

4/10  Naughty in places, lots of long hair, and a bit of tit... Robbie Savage, then!

Extinction (Netflix)

Very reminiscent of Skyline (which I liked) to begin with - families trapped in a tower block & under attack from aliens. There's a large twist in the middle and it then ends up as something else entirely.

7.5/10. Good entertainment.

Edited by Wolfie

Death on the Nile

I've always been a big fan of Agatha Christie adaptations and the old Peter Ustinov ones in particular.

This new Kenneth Brannah one is virtually identical to the 1978 version in story and characters. Maybe it's because I know the old version so well but I felt this new one lacked something. Maybe it needed more/some proper A-listers in the cast.

What it didn't lack (unfortunately) was some dodgy CGI backdrops and unnecessary back-story to poirot's moustache.

A disappointing 5.5/10

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Watched “Killing of a sacred deer” starring Nicole Kidman and Colin Farrell on Friday.

Very much a slow burner so it may not interest those that prefer thrills and spills but I enjoyed it with the moral dilemma faced by Farrell.

7/10.

Also watched Big Bug recently. Weird, but entertaining, French sci-fi film with English sub titles. 6.5/10

Miracle in cell number 7

Turkish film on Netflix. Story of a mentally immature father wrongly fast-tracked through the justice system before hanging is abolished. Bit of a tear-jerker with couple of excellent acting performances, in particular the father and young daughter. Worth a watch. 

Riggott/10

Pig.

Nicholas Cage.

Sky Cinema.

Highly rated.  Well reviewed.  
"A deeply moving film with twists and turns that few could see coming" according to the internet. Rave reviews for the acting.
But all I saw was blandness.  It was Monotone in pictorial form!

I have to say I just couldn't get it!  Struggled to stay awake.  Just so, so drab.  It had me hooked, simply and solely because I assumed something interesting and/or entertaining would happen soon... it never did!

Even Googled it afterwards to check out the storyline to make sure there was nothing hidden that simply went over our heads (We both thought it was tripe!)  We'd missed nothing.  In fact, there was nothing to miss, as nothing much happened.
This may be a recency thing... freshest memory and all that... but I'm struggling to remember a film I'd rate so low.

A one-legged Mick Coop wearing a blindfold out of 10. 

The Courier

With Benedict Cumberbatch on Amazon Prime.

Mart Poom/10

If you like your spy films with car chases, fight sequences and lots of Bondlike gadgets you'll hate this.

Well, maybe you won't because I quite like those things in context, but as this is based heavily on a true story they wouldn't work at all.

Half an hour in or more I was a bit bored and the film is really about the second half or even last third.

BC is his usual brilliant self playing a salesman employed by MI6 and the CIA to act as an intermediary with a high-ranking Soviet spy looking to leak plans for the Soviet nuclear missile deployment to Cuba in the early 60s'.

If you don't know the story of Greville Wynne the main character (and I didn't, I confess), then don't look it up first. Wait until the film has finished and it will make it even better.

Edit: The situation in Ukraine makes the movie all the more poignant. 

Edited by Bob The Badger

3 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

It was, totally outstanding.

Agree totally with you and @Eddie. Saw this at the cinema.  Watching Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck and his descent into what became the Joker was both a spell-binding and hugely painful watch.  

Moulin Rouge! (2001)

The most irritating, camp, hammed up pile of crap I've ever witnessed. 

Struggling to think of a film I've disliked more. Made me genuinely angry whilst watching it. Jim Broadbent has to be the most punchable man ever recorded on film.

No single Rams player has ever been so bad so I'm giving it a 4-1 home defeat to Scunthorpe under Non-league Nigel out of ten.

12 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Moulin Rouge! (2001)

The most irritating, camp, hammed up pile of crap I've ever witnessed. 

Struggling to think of a film I've disliked more. Made me genuinely angry whilst watching it. Jim Broadbent has to be the most punchable man ever recorded on film.

No single Rams player has ever been so bad so I'm giving it a 4-1 home defeat to Scunthorpe under Non-league Nigel out of ten.

Bang on. I thought I was the only person that really hated it. Thanks.

The Informer

Netfix.  15.   2019 ‧ Thriller/Crime ‧ 1h 53m

Director: Andrea Di Stefano

Cast:  Joel Kinnaman (Pete Koslow) ; Rosamund Pike (Erica Wilcox) ; Anna de Armas (Sofia Hoffman) ; Clive Owen (Montgomery)

Recruited by the FBI, ex-con and former special operations soldier Pete Koslow uses his covert skills to try and take down the General - the most powerful crime boss in New York. When a sting results in the death of an undercover cop, Pete suddenly finds himself caught in the crossfire between the mob and the FBI. Forced to return to prison, Koslow must now come up with a plan to escape from the clutches of the law and the General to save himself and his family.

Got a bit manic at one stage, but I just about held on to who was doing the dirty on who to avoid confusion!

Decent enough storyline, and although I'm no expert judge, the acting skills appeared more than acceptable to me!
Enough skulduggery, action, and violence to keep it interesting/entertaining, but without taking things too far/to silly extremes.

I'm also partial to a definitive ending... which this wasn't... so it loses points for that (albeit from a personal/selfish perspective).

In between the almost-but-not-quite-confusion and the less than 100% tidy ending, I thoroughly enjoyed the film as a whole, and would recommend.

Not perfect, and made you concentrate hard to avoid wondering what the hell was happening, but satisfying enough, both on the eyes, and the mind, to be able to walk away with a smile on your face, so most definitely a Paulo Wanchope/10 for me.