Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Bohemian Rhapsody

Thought it was a decent film but took a while to get into. I couldn't see past the over emphasised set of teeth they gave the Freddie Mercury actor. I know he had a fair set of hampsteads in real life but they were ridiculous in the film. Good film regardless though. Just a shame it didn't show past Live Aid gig. 8/10

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 11:01, ramsbottom said:

Dolomite Is My Name - 8/10

I really enjoyed this one. Rudy Ray Moore is hilarious anyway, but it's great to see Eddie Murphy actually having a blast doing something he's genuinely invested in for the first time in a long time.

Yesterday - good film, really enjoyed it 8/10

Murder on the Orient Express - also enjoyable ‘whodunnit’ 7/10

Spiderman Far From Home - as a MCU fan, I enjoyed the small scale feel after Endgame, like Tom Holland as Spider-Man too 8/10

3 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Not a film but enjoying The Trial of Christine Keeler, full of political intrigue, something I sort of knew about growing up so its an interesting insight into the 1960's..

Also, Sophie Cookson, ?

I'd say the movie Scandal is better, but so much is about long-form (ie TV) nowadays. And Sophie Cookson is no Joanne Whalley ?

Two cinema trips this weekend. Saw Fellini's Nights of Cabiria which probably has more plot and structure than most of his work, but understandably feels dated. I'll go for 6.5/10. There's a Fellini season at the British Film Institute at the moment.

Also went to 1917 at the BFI IMax (biggest screen in the country). In a way it was great that this is really booked up, but the disappointing thing was we were forced to sit in the second row as a result. Still a long way back but hard to take everything in. Normally I suspend my disbelief but perhaps because of proximity to the screen I felt I was always watching a film.

That said it was an extremely clever, well made film that was quite thought-provoking. For anyone who doesn't know the idea is the entire movie is made to appear a single show without scene shifts/breaks. Of course you find yourself looking for where the breaks really are. The bravery of the soldiers and the futility of the war come across. I still felt it was a bit sanitized. Ending was powerful. Delighted I didn't notice the soundtrack, meaning it wasn't overpowering (as happened with Nolan's Dunkirk).

Overall I'd give it 8/10. A filmmaker's film so could well win the Oscar, I think for Best Direction more likely than Best Film, but very often they go together.

Edited by Carl Sagan

On 12/01/2020 at 22:07, uttoxram75 said:

Not a film but enjoying The Trial of Christine Keeler, full of political intrigue, something I sort of knew about growing up so its an interesting insight into the 1960's..

Also, Sophie Cookson, ?

I have only seen clips but have to admit Sophie Cookson is very pretty.

Jumanji: the next level - enjoyed the first one (modern) and it is more of the same with a few twists. Kevin Hart playing an old guy is steal of the movie. 8/10

Downsizing - good concept, bizarre in places, clever in others. Unsubtle environmental warning underneath story, not that it’s untrue. Enjoyed the dark humour and humanity in it. 7/10