Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Parasite.

Really entertaining just on the surface. Plenty of social commentary that I'll pay more attention to if I watch it again.

Jeff Hendrick / 10.

Got to be honest, I thought it was a film that didn't know how to get itself out of the story it had got itself into. First hour is great, second hour a bit long and then it just seems to struggle to know how to pull all the ends together. Shame, great concept but just got a bit silly.

Just Mercy:

Easy to sit and think it's just another Green Mile story of people wrongly in prison in the Deep South of America. Then you realise it's a true story and one in nine African Americans on death row have been wrongly convicted. Truly amazing story of someone who just decided to do something about it, utterly depressing that it still goes on. And, to segue into another thread, makes you realise that maybe Deontay Wilder isn't a total Bamford with his position on this. 

Somewhere between an Archie Gemill and a Bobby Davison/10

Greed.

Directed by Michael Winterbottom, Steve Coogan plays a Phillip Green-a-like, who stages a decadent party for his 60th birthday on one of the Greek islands, which happens to overlook a beach housing Syrian refugees. The film tells the story of how he got here and how his unrelenting greed has grown over the years.

There's a few funnies (hard not to with Coogan, David Mitchell, half the cast of Peep Show and The Thick of It), but the metaphors used are painfully thin, and it feels a bit late. Like it should have come out in 2009 or so. Basically it's the Big Short-lite. Managed to be borderline preachy without actually delivering a message of substance.

Not rubbish, but my life didn't feel enriched as I sat watching it in a freezing cold, empty, half demolished Wolverhampton cinema. And that's coming from a Coogan/Winterbottom combo fan.

A slam-dunk Paul Green/Stephen Pearson midfield pairing.

• 2 weeks later...

Parasite 

8/10. Tricky to take out the hype/knowledge that it is so highly regarded because if it were on tv I probably would have flicked on and after 2 mins thought it was a bit slow and turned over. 

Had the feel of a play almost. No huge budget, no expensive set pieces or hollywood stars. Just a tight, claustrophobic story that had the sense of a parable or fable to me. Good acting and best seen without too much idea of the content. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Platform 

Finding it really hard to rate. Definitely put me off food...(well for at least 30 mins, I am permanently hungry and home working ain't helping). 

Pretty overt messages about greed, selfishness, capitalism. Definitely gave pause for thought and I feel like it needed a follow up. Maybe reminded me of 'Cube' , very claustrophobic and grim but never dull. 

Mercurial Kris Commons - 7/10

13 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

The Platform 

Finding it really hard to rate. Definitely put me off food...(well for at least 30 mins, I am permanently hungry and home working ain't helping). 

Pretty overt messages about greed, selfishness, capitalism. Definitely gave pause for thought and I feel like it needed a follow up. Maybe reminded me of 'Cube' , very claustrophobic and grim but never dull. 

Mercurial Kris Commons - 7/10

This is a Spanish film. Is it doubled or subtitled?

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Subtitles.. 

The Spanish doubling is excellent. I suppose it's because they've had years doing it. Some of the doubling actors are actually better than the person they're doing. They always put a voice that matches the physical aspects of the actor, so Sylvester Stallone has the body plus a rugged manly voice without any speech impediment ?. From what I remember of doubled films back home they were unwatchable.

6 hours ago, richinspain said:

The Spanish doubling is excellent. I suppose it's because they've had years doing it. Some of the doubling actors are actually better than the person they're doing. They always put a voice that matches the physical aspects of the actor, so Sylvester Stallone has the body plus a rugged manly voice without any speech impediment ?. From what I remember of doubled films back home they were unwatchable.

Do you mean 'dubbed' buddy? Confused...