Matches suspended

atherstoneram

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is where we count ourselves very lucky we have an academy full of young talent waiting to come through.

By the time we kick a ball the debt will have built, big money signings will be a thing of the past and we will be desperate for cash.

As much as I wouldnt want to lose Sibley, Bogle, Knight and Bird, between them they can either carry this club forward or the fees received could save the club.

Either way I feel slightly at ease knowing we have JML, JHI, Archie Brown, Dixon etc etc who could comfortably make the step up.

Nobody is putting forward any credible solutions for how the EFL replaces lost ticket revenue (perhaps because there aren't any), in the period until social distancing measures can be significantly relaxed.

(All the EPL guff is completely separate because of the distortions of the TV cash. )

Until that problem is solved or admitted everything else is secondary.

It's good to see Danny Rose stick his boot in, hopefully other players follow suit.

The only people who think football should be returning any time soon are very rich people, all we need is a round of battle royale at the end of each game and we have our very own hunger games (my money is on Wisdom).

Appalling that the footballing bodies (whomever they are) didnt call the whole thing off at the earliest opportunity and issue a statement to say collectively football will come together and try to protect as many clubs as possible.

It seems that everything is being done to protect Liverpool/Premier League and to prevent the Premier League and EFL from having to pay money back to Sky/Amazon and it's a case of sod the rest of the 72 teams. 

The PFA were so vocal about their members deferring wages, let's see if they are so vocal about their members being put at risk on a football field?

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It's good to see Danny Rose stick his boot in, hopefully other players follow suit.

The only people who think football should be returning any time soon are very rich people, all we need is a round of battle royale at the end of each game and we have our very own hunger games (my money is on Wisdom).

Appalling that the footballing bodies (whomever they are) didnt call the whole thing off at the earliest opportunity and issue a statement to say collectively football will come together and try to protect as many clubs as possible.

It seems that everything is being done to protect Liverpool/Premier League and to prevent the Premier League and EFL from having to pay money back to Sky/Amazon and it's a case of sod the rest of the 72 teams. 

The PFA were so vocal about their members deferring wages, let's see if they are so vocal about their members being put at risk on a football field?

I think the PFA have built themselves a hole here. They can’t come out and say that players should not take cuts and then come out and say they shouldn’t have to do their job.

Quite literally, nobody could expect to continue taking homes tens of thousands a week (even in the Championship) without an obligation to perform their job.

If they refuse to play - then simply stop paying them (use furlough) otherwise clubs will go out of business.

I think the advantage here is what we see happen across Europe. They’re ahead by 3-4 weeks. If games take place, with limited issues, then we can follow suit.

As for fans turning up outside stadium - well, more fool them - They won’t get to see the game whilst the rest of us watch online at home!! Of course a few will.

Personally I want to see the sport back, behind closed doors. The feel good factor around the country and avoiding the law suits for me are reasons to play. I’m not a health expert but if testing is performed regularly, then the risk must be minimal especially across healthy athletes. Of any of the sportsman anywhere around the world who have caught it, are there any who have become very ill? (I appreciate the risk of passing it on but then all the players should be social distancing anyway!)

46 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I think the PFA have built themselves a hole here. They can’t come out and say that players should not take cuts and then come out and say they shouldn’t have to do their job.

Quite literally, nobody could expect to continue taking homes tens of thousands a week (even in the Championship) without an obligation to perform their job.

If they refuse to play - then simply stop paying them (use furlough) otherwise clubs will go out of business.

I think the advantage here is what we see happen across Europe. They’re ahead by 3-4 weeks. If games take place, with limited issues, then we can follow suit.

As for fans turning up outside stadium - well, more fool them - They won’t get to see the game whilst the rest of us watch online at home!! Of course a few will.

Personally I want to see the sport back, behind closed doors. The feel good factor around the country and avoiding the law suits for me are reasons to play. I’m not a health expert but if testing is performed regularly, then the risk must be minimal especially across healthy athletes. Of any of the sportsman anywhere around the world who have caught it, are there any who have become very ill? (I appreciate the risk of passing it on but then all the players should be social distancing anyway!)

I think its fast becoming obvious to the government that a Vaccine is either way off, or very unlikely, as mentioned yesterday, 13 years on and there still isn't a vaccine for SARs.

Perhaps it's a case of we either get things back to as much of normal as possible or we never will?

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Worth noting that the ordinary people of this land are putting themselves at risk now to keep the economy afloat and try to keep it going ,not to mention ,nurses ,doctors ,essential workers ,, ffs it’s only a football field not a packed tube train ,bus , building site ,class room ,factory ,office where we all know that despite the lip service social distancing will be dodgy at best 

43 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I think its fast becoming obvious to the government that a Vaccine is either way off, or very unlikely, as mentioned yesterday, 13 years on and there still isn't a vaccine for SARs.

Perhaps it's a case of we either get things back to as much of normal as possible or we never will?

Certainly interesting their 60 page dossier included the line about never finding a vaccine. Could certainly be to start creating an expectation but for me, way too premature and begins to kick hope away.

100 plus vaccine developments going on worldwide, ten plus trialling in humans. Multiple antibody treatments (that stop people becoming ill if given to patients very quickly) all being created, plasma trials, existing drug trials etc. I’m confident something will be found.

Anyway back to matches now as this is a different thread haha.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Worth noting that the ordinary people of this land are putting themselves at risk now to keep the economy afloat and try to keep it going ,not to mention ,nurses ,doctors ,essential workers ,, ffs it’s only a football field not a packed tube train ,bus , building site ,class room ,factory ,office where we all know that despite the lip service social distancing will be dodgy at best 

I don't disagree with you, the only difference between rich footballers and the ordinary folk is that they have the finances to be able to say no!

I'm sorry, but if I could afford it (which I couldnt), I would stay the hell at home with my family until I know it is safe for them to leave the home.

The decisions being made by the government are purely financial and nothing else, the risk hasnt reduced, 2 weeks ago Boris said now was not the time to be relaxing anything, little over 2 days later there were rumblings of Tory sponsors demanding the lockdown be eased and here we are, I got the distinct impression from the update by Boris last night that he wasnt very comfortable with his very own message (assuming it was HIS message).

The crazy thing is, there are far more people with the virus now than when we went into lockdown, the risk today is higher than it was on March 27, but on the words of Boris we all go out into the big wide world putting ourselves (and our family) at risk!

Football is not essential, it is an unnecessary risk, either we are serious about beating the virus, or not? 

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I don't disagree with you, the only difference between rich footballers and the ordinary folk is that they have the finances to be able to say no!

I'm sorry, but if I could afford it (which I couldnt), I would stay the hell at home with my family until I know it is safe for them to leave the home.

The decisions being made by the government are purely financial and nothing else, the risk hasnt reduced, 2 weeks ago Boris said now was not the time to be relaxing anything, little over 2 days later there were rumblings of Tory sponsors demanding the lockdown be eased and here we are, I got the distinct impression from the update by Boris last night that he wasnt very comfortable with his very own message (assuming it was HIS message).

The crazy thing is, there are far more people with the virus now than when we went into lockdown, the risk today is higher than it was on March 27, but on the words of Boris we all go out into the big wide world putting ourselves (and our family) at risk!

Football is not essential, it is an unnecessary risk, either we are serious about beating the virus, or not? 

Goose and golden egg springs to mind footballers are rich enough to make those choices ONLY because they provide entertainment and escape for ordinary people ,if at a time when everybody is being expected to play they’re part they don’t do likewise they may very well find fewer and fewer people willing to line they’re overladen pockets with tickets ,subscriptions and merchandise 

40 minutes ago, Archied said:

Goose and golden egg springs to mind footballers are rich enough to make those choices ONLY because they provide entertainment and escape for ordinary people ,if at a time when everybody is being expected to play they’re part they don’t do likewise they may very well find fewer and fewer people willing to line they’re overladen pockets with tickets ,subscriptions and merchandise 

playing football isnt playing their part, in my opinion, staying at home and minimising the spread of this killer virus would be playing their part.

The advice is to remain at least 2 metres away from anyone not within your household, that's at work, on the park, in the shops, that is hardly possible during a game of footy. 

If you take 1 player from Derby, he interacts with 21 other players in a game, we play 9 remaining games, that's 190ish people he will come in contact with, times that by the 92 clubs in England, that is a lot of close interaction between players.

Seeing as there is a 14 day incubation period for the virus and we can assume there is a small window of someone having the virus and it showing up on a test, even if we test all footballers every game, there will still be guaranteed spreading of the virus. This goes home to their families who pass it on and before you know it we are locked down again.

All this means diddly squat though, cash is king, as is being proved by the economical decisions by the government, football will start, players will revolt, the PL and EFL won't have to give any cash back to the broadcasters and will also be able to charge any player not willing to play.

On 11/05/2020 at 19:09, RamNut said:

Time to bin the season now and move on. 

On 11/05/2020 at 19:14, ThePrisoner said:

Would you be saying that if we were sitting 2nd? Doubt it

It’s no different to having to abandon a game after 70 minutes.
If you can’t finish the contest, the result doesn’t stand. GAME OVER

They say we can now play tennis/golf and the like... 2 people only, 2m apart, etc, etc.

They are saying we can now gather in the park.  Two people from same household.  Plus one from another household... or summat like that.

They are actively encouraging more exercise for us all.

They are making a point of telling us that taking a football to the park is a big no-no.  They don't wont people playing football.  Football is not priority, not essential, and by it's very nature, is most certainly not conducive to social distancing.

It's still a no, from me!

Oh... and In addition to that, we have the added problems of the Derby defence, and governmental orders to stay alert!   ?

15 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I read up on the SARS vaccine the other day , they did actually get a few vaccines that worked in animals but SARS was so deadly and the incubation time was only 2-3 days so that quarantine stopped the out break. SARS was too lethal for its own good . The vaccine research was abandoned as it was no longer thought to be required so i would say that it would be wrong to say that we have been trying for 13 years for a SARS vaccine.

20 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I just heard that football training sessions will take place but tackling will be banned, I hope this would be the case in games, Leeds would be screwed.

The bbc site has a long list of "protocols" including that one. Basically the whole lot taken together amount to training looking like little more than a semi isolated kick about.

But if you look at the whole "plan" it is to start on that basis on 25th may and expect to be playing matches by 13th June. 

Sounds farcical to me, or at best a lot of optimistic assumptions. 

1 hour ago, iolanthe said:

The Express reporting that an agreement reached to restart the championship on Saturday 20th of June with season completed by the end of July 

Right thing to do. Can't wait till it begins again, hopefully we can get going again quickly.

1 hour ago, iolanthe said:

The Express reporting that an agreement reached to restart the championship on Saturday 20th of June with season completed by the end of July 

A week later than expected - but if it’s all still completed by the end of July then everything is ok.

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

A week later than expected - but if it’s all still completed by the end of July then everything is ok.

Nothing ok with football with no crowds - no atmosphere - no future and mostly 

Nothing ok with football when 200- 400 people dying every day because they touched a surface or had a conversation or heard a sneeze 

Archived