v Manchester United (H) - Matchday Thread

Sean

4 hours ago, jono said:

Yep. Spot on. I doubt he would have made a difference against United,  but he will against Blackburn. we were playing prime steak last night. Chris is a spoon .. much more useful for use against Lancashire hotpot. 

Funnily enough I'm seeing The Lancashire Hotpots in Derby on Saturday night!

2020-03-06_1352.png

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You don't have to be clairvoyant to suspect that better defenders would have made an improvement to the team now, do you ?

Maybe, maybe not there's lots of variables. what if Clarke starts and has a stinker (it happens) and drops a clanger like he did the other week and they still go on to score three?

What if Clarke has a great game but can't cope with the midfield runners coming through the middle and off the wings as due to his lack of pace and they still score three? What if, what if? Anyone who's played football knows it's not that straight forward. 

Look I'm not a fan of Fozzy at CB and prefer him at LB, however Cocu obviously had a reason for doing it and maybe people just need to accept that Cocu had a reason (that might not be apparent at the mo) for trying it out. 

I still think Fozzy and Evans did ok considering the problems they had to face with Lowe and Bogle being overrun and our defensive midfield being overrun too. It's a team game and if you look at that game in black and white terms then you could argue that defensive midfield and the wings were the biggest culprits.

However despite calling the midfield I'm not going to criticise them as they tried their best and came up short against better quality. 

It's all about context and why I think some of our fans have got caught up in being too critical as sometimes they see everything in absolutist terms. 

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I think the issue with Forsyth and Lowe is that at present, due to his superior experience, Forsyth is the better defender and if you were picking your best defence he would be in. 

However, if we concede that we no longer have a chance of promotion, we should look to the future and play the guys we think will win us games next year and beyond. 

Both Bogle and Lowe play like wing backs but in a 4 man defence. 

Neither one is good in the air. Both are talented on the ball. 

We could play our strongest defence of Wisdom, Davies, Clarke and Forsyth and gain points but in the long run, two are older players and one is a loanee we cannot afford. 

I don't think we should play Bogle and Lowe at the same time. We effectively play with two at the back. They're defensive wingers, not offensively-minded defenders.

3 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

A bit of a side gripe/annoyance. Going into the North Stand last night there was quite a long queue, resulting in myself and others missing the kick off. Anyhow in the queue a group of lads turned up and one in particular young chap wearing the usual Stone Island coat and Aquascutum scarf who’d obviously had a drink began shouting his mouth off about not usually having to queue to get in but because of all these c*nts in front of him. If I hadn’t had my little one with me it probably wouldn’t of bothered me but to say it was heading into the family stand I thought it a little inappropriate. He then barged his way to the front using every expletive possible in his small range of vocabulary on his way. Such a lovely young man and a total credit to his parents. 

I saw that lad ??he was a right ********. To say the north stand is the family stand I heard 10x more abuse than I normally hear in the east stand next to away fans. 

30 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I don't think we should play Bogle and Lowe at the same time. We effectively play with two at the back. They're defensive wingers, not offensively-minded defenders.

I think when bielik comes back we should have him drop into the cb position to allow both Lowe and bogle to attack. He was really effective at it at the start of the season 

33 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I tend to agree with you but who's to say they won't develop into the next Alexander-Arnold and Robertson?

A facetious argument perhaps but jf your full backs are making 30 goals a season you can afford the odd defensive lapse. 

14 hours ago, DRBee said:

However its sad to see some pompous twits  ( who clearly see themselves as superior ) criticising those who moaned about the team selection. 

At least they don't resort to calling fellow Derby fans 'pompous twits' eh! That really would be sad.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Good Lord! Give Him time. . . ?

You what? I've regularly supported him and said I want him to have time, this isn't a communist dictatorship though, I can raise objections to his decisions, and I will whenever I see fit, thanks.

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Maybe, maybe not there's lots of variables. what if Clarke starts and has a stinker (it happens) and drops a clanger like he did the other week and they still go on to score three?

What if Clarke has a great game but can't cope with the midfield runners coming through the middle and off the wings as due to his lack of pace and they still score three? What if, what if? Anyone who's played football knows it's not that straight forward. 

Look I'm not a fan of Fozzy at CB and prefer him at LB, however Cocu obviously had a reason for doing it and maybe people just need to accept that Cocu had a reason (that might not be apparent at the mo) for trying it out. 

I still think Fozzy and Evans did ok considering the problems they had to face with Lowe and Bogle being overrun and our defensive midfield being overrun too. It's a team game and if you look at that game in black and white terms then you could argue that defensive midfield and the wings were the biggest culprits.

However despite calling the midfield I'm not going to criticise them as they tried their best and came up short against better quality. 

It's all about context and why I think some of our fans have got caught up in being too critical as sometimes they see everything in absolutist terms. 

Well yes, but I'm not going to sit and argue with the 1% of scenarios. In the vast majority of cases, starting your better players will lead to a better result. It's clear Cocu thinks Clarke is our best centre half, therefore he should be playing him vs Man Utd. Simple as.

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Very true but they can actually still learn to defend properly and hopefully they do but we are fortunate to have the option of having them 

37 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A bizarre comment from a United fan: “Sibley picking on the wrong guy to mess with. McT is a tank.” 

The same McTominay that was rolling around clutching his face after to top of Sibley’s boot made contact. 

That is a strange conclusion .. I’d bet any neutral would reckon Sibley won that battle fair and square ..and he didn’t have to resort to any amateur dramatics during the course of events. 

I've not read the whole thread, but did anybody else pick up the high boot on Sibley off their keeper? Any outfield player doing that would have been booked at least. It wasn't even the high boot that wound me up, it was because he brought it down onto Sibleys shoulder and it looked deliberate to me.

Watched the game but only now made time to scan the thread.  I forecast a win, although deep down thought we'd lose.  Saw their team and knew it was almost a certainty as it was near as their first team.

Thought we did good.  The youngsters performed really well, and will have benefited hugely from the experience, as did (no surprise) Rooney who oozes class.  I know Man U have struggled but even so, they're still a top PL team, with some world class players who all turned up last night...Shaw, Fernandes, McBamford .... 

I hate losing but we can hold our heads high - given some more clinical finishing, or Rooney's free kicks being a couple of inches either side, we'd have scored at least 2. Then who knows....

Onwards and upwards, which is where this team is slowly, but surely heading.....if we remain patient enough. Stay positive and strong all...our time will come. 

44 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Watched the game but only now made time to scan the thread.  I forecast a win, although deep down thought we'd lose.  Saw their team and knew it was almost a certainty as it was near as their first team.

Thought we did good.  The youngsters performed really well, and will have benefited hugely from the experience, as did (no surprise) Rooney who oozes class.  I know Man U have struggled but even so, they're still a top PL team, with some world class players who all turned up last night...Shaw, Fernandes, McBamford .... 

I hate losing but we can hold our heads high - given some more clinical finishing, or Rooney's free kicks being a couple of inches either side, we'd have scored at least 2. Then who knows....

Onwards and upwards, which is where this team is slowly, but surely heading.....if we remain patient enough. Stay positive and strong all...our time will come. 

Wg68jBC.gif?noredirect

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

You what? I've regularly supported him and said I want him to have time, this isn't a communist dictatorship though, I can raise objections to his decisions, and I will whenever I see fit, thanks.

I know @Andicis. . . There was a feint whiff of irony in my post. I enjoyed the occasion last night but I sensed the players didn’t have the self-belief that they could win like a Lampard team might’ve had. I’m with you. 

5 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

At least they don't resort to calling fellow Derby fans 'pompous twits' eh! That really would be sad.

If the cap fits ........ and you have called fellow posters far worse.

Archived