v Manchester United (H) - Matchday Thread

Sean

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, rynny said:

I rather Martin miss tonight and play 90 mins on Sunday. 

Yep. Spot on. I doubt he would have made a difference against United,  but he will against Blackburn. we were playing prime steak last night. Chris is a spoon .. much more useful for use against Lancashire hotpot. 

12 minutes ago, angieram said:

I thought Waggy worked really hard last night but his finishing let him down again with a chance each half missed that a more clinical striker would have taken. He does brilliantly to contribute to the build up and get into the positions so it's hard to knock him but maybe that was as much the difference between the two sides as our defence.

That early first chance taken and Manchester start to doubt themselves a bit - we've all seen it happen. 

That's when you need the bounce of the ball. They are going to be superior in general over 90 mins, but they also got the bits of Dame Fortune that swung their way. And in the 2nd half when Waggy's header flew just wide. A foot to the right (as I looked on the camera) and that flies in off the post.

Truly a game of fine margins. We should be proud of the lads. What has Cocu said post match?

7 hours ago, Ramarena said:

I haven't seen anyone argue that I think it's pretty obvious that everyone prefers him at LB.

Do keep up - i was arguing it wasn't as simple as there being only 4 changes to the team.

8 hours ago, DRBee said:

When I heard the team I was disappointed. I didn't expect to win this evening but it seemed less likely with that team selection.

However , the performances of some of the youngsters, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Bogle were great to watch and they are all really thrilling prospects for next season.I loved the way Sibley took on Mctominey. So often in recent season we 've lacked players who don't wilt under strong arm tactics from the opposition ( remember Ince?) Don't really know why Cocu chose this team but like against Fulham he clearly wanted a team with the energy to chase and press.

I left the match quite happy

However its sad to see some pompous twits  ( who clearly see themselves as superior ) criticising those who moaned about the team selection. It's a very respectable argument to want to see a team more used to playing together so that we have a better chance of wining. Its not short-termism to want to win a one-off cup match -whats the point of being in the competition if not? Its disingenuous to argue there were only 4 changes since there were positional changes as well and you can't argue that CB is Fozzies best position. There will be plenty of opportunities to give the youngsters a chance before the end of the season.

Are the pompous twits who criticise those who whinge about the team before a ball has been kicked, worse than the pompous twits who whinge about the team then come on here after the game and say I told you so? They must see themselves as superior.

Just wondering. The way I see it people are absolutely within their right to moan about the team before a ball has been kicked if they wish, people are also within their right to laugh at them for being reactionary.

10 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Agree

made me chuckle him and knight through sheer eagerness and enthusiasm ran the ball straight out of play in consecutive touches lol 

was like watching Labrador pubbys chase a ball lol 

Such a contrast though the energy to what PC put out those first few matches of the season 

Huddlestone and dowell 

sibley and knight 

I thought lowe was poor tbh, yes he’s obviously against world class opposition... they all were 

but he’s wobbled a bit of late and shown a few things that concern me a little ... there’s a reason fozzy has become the number 1 choice again 

Malone in my book will be gone if we can get a taker for him and then it’s down to max to watch learn and develop and wrestle that shirt back off fozzy 

U could say in an ideal world next season if we have top 6 aspirations we could do with strengthening that area but there’s so many other priorities atm within the squad 

Yep they were certainly... eager to perform. Good to see though, it’s young lads desperate to put their mark on a game, and it’s exactly what I’d expect to see from youngsters just starting to get a chance on the big stage. Nothing wrong with a bit of enthusiasm. I’m sure they’ll become much calmer in possession as they gain more and more first team experience, but right now that energy is no bad thing! Certainly not compared to how slow some of our other players are!

On the LB issue, I think Lowe is being a bit harshly dug out by some fans. Yes he’s lost his shirt to Forsyth in the league, but for me that isn’t any great reflection on his performances. I think it’s purely because Forsyth’s strengths lie more off the ball, and that’s what Cocu thinks we need right now. Personally I don’t agree, and I think it’s very harsh On young Max to keep leaving him out despite his good performances, especially when imo I don’t think Forsyth has been all that impressive. He was the worst of our 11 on the pitch against the Wendies imo, for example (though no one was poor of course). For me, Lowe has outperformed Forsyth this season, and its not even very close, so he should be the one with the shirt right now imho. That’s not to say Forsyth is a poor player, far from it, he’s one of the leagues best left backs when fully fit. The thing is, Lowe imo is the best in the division.

Really though they’re both excellent LBs who’s strengths lie in different areas - Lowe is better on the ball, Forsyth better off it. That makes for a good mix imo, and gives us excellent competition in that role - I’d argue that’s one of our positions least in need of work myself. I agree we don’t need three players there though, so I can see us moving Malone on as he’s a level below the other two (though still a decent player in his own right).

I think the issue with Forsyth and Lowe is that at present, due to his superior experience, Forsyth is the better defender and if you were picking your best defence he would be in. 

However, if we concede that we no longer have a chance of promotion, we should look to the future and play the guys we think will win us games next year and beyond. 

Both Bogle and Lowe play like wing backs but in a 4 man defence. 

Neither one is good in the air. Both are talented on the ball. 

We could play our strongest defence of Wisdom, Davies, Clarke and Forsyth and gain points but in the long run, two are older players and one is a loanee we cannot afford. 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Yep they were certainly... eager to perform. Good to see though, it’s young lads desperate to put their mark on a game, and it’s exactly what I’d expect to see from youngsters just starting to get a chance on the big stage. Nothing wrong with a bit of enthusiasm. I’m sure they’ll become much calmer in possession as they gain more and more first team experience, but right now that energy is no bad thing! Certainly not compared to how slow some of our other players are!

On the LB issue, I think Lowe is being a bit harshly dug out by some fans. Yes he’s lost his shirt to Forsyth in the league, but for me that isn’t any great reflection on his performances. I think it’s purely because Forsyth’s strengths lie more off the ball, and that’s what Cocu thinks we need right now. Personally I don’t agree, and I think it’s very harsh On young Max to keep leaving him out despite his good performances, especially when imo I don’t think Forsyth has been all that impressive. He was the worst of our 11 on the pitch against the Wendies imo, for example (though no one was poor of course). For me, Lowe has outperformed Forsyth this season, and its not even very close, so he should be the one with the shirt right now imho. That’s not to say Forsyth is a poor player, far from it, he’s one of the leagues best left backs when fully fit. The thing is, Lowe imo is the best in the division.

Really though they’re both excellent LBs who’s strengths lie in different areas - Lowe is better on the ball, Forsyth better off it. That makes for a good mix imo, and gives us excellent competition in that role - I’d argue that’s one of our positions least in need of work myself. I agree we don’t need three players there though, so I can see us moving Malone on as he’s a level below the other two (though still a decent player in his own right).

For me lowes performances haven’t been good enough that’s why the manager has dropped him for fozzy, who I’m not saying is any sort of world beater

i agree with cocu on this one

hes been too loose with the ball in possession.. which is kinda key for what is trying to be a possession based side 

the full backs are the outlets in any side, they are asked to provide the width but more Importantly they are the safe out ball for the midfield or centre backs, in a side trying to build u can’t have full backs who may or may not keep the ball for u

When they receive the ball in their own half they have the least pressure on them compared to other roles they’re job in my eyes is to be a constant with the ball ....not may keep it, may not

i think that is why we have seen both the young fullbacks lose their places of late, obviously with wisdom moving centrally it’s opened the door back for bogle but I think cocu expects greater ball retention from them both 

just my view of it 

they’re learning, they will get better 

Thought we did ok considering their squad cost umpteen squillions, Lawrence went off, Martin did not play. Positives...Rooneys passing and set pieces are superb, the young lads did well. Well done Derby, heads held high. Talk Sport were fawning over Man U this morning.

A bit of a side gripe/annoyance. Going into the North Stand last night there was quite a long queue, resulting in myself and others missing the kick off. Anyhow in the queue a group of lads turned up and one in particular young chap wearing the usual Stone Island coat and Aquascutum scarf who’d obviously had a drink began shouting his mouth off about not usually having to queue to get in but because of all these c*nts in front of him. If I hadn’t had my little one with me it probably wouldn’t of bothered me but to say it was heading into the family stand I thought it a little inappropriate. He then barged his way to the front using every expletive possible in his small range of vocabulary on his way. Such a lovely young man and a total credit to his parents. 

7 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Thought we did ok considering their squad cost umpteen squillions, Lawrence went off, Martin did not play. Positives...Rooneys passing and set pieces are superb, the young lads did well. Well done Derby, heads held high. Talk Sport were fawning over Man U this morning.

Detest 90% of TalkSpurt (I'll give an honorary exemption from that damning remark for Hawksbee and Jacobs).

Hope Farke has his lads up for the next round and Narge nick it. And wasn't one of their folk on this forum last season raising cash for a good cause by cycling to Pride Park or summat? Decent regional club who are more deserving of a bit of success than a bunch of clogging Mancs.....?

2 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

A bit of a side gripe/annoyance. Going into the North Stand last night there was quite a long queue, resulting in myself and others missing the kick off. Anyhow in the queue a group of lads turned up and one in particular young chap wearing the usual Stone Island coat and Aquascutum scarf who’d obviously had a drink began shouting his mouth off about not usually having to queue to get in but because of all these c*nts in front of him. If I hadn’t had my little one with me it probably wouldn’t of bothered me but to say it was heading into the family stand I thought it a little inappropriate. He then barged his way to the front using every expletive possible in his small range of vocabulary on his way. Such a lovely young man and a total credit to his parents. 

hope the numpty didn't spoil it for your little 'un.

4 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Should have kicked the Bamford

27 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Not at all. He loved every minute. Never took his eyes off the game. Still on a high as he went to school tomorrow. 

25 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

Should have kicked the Bamford

Maybe a few years ago but having the young one with me calmed me somewhat. Didn’t want to make a scene with him there. He understands that what he hears at a game isn’t to be repeated. Just totally unnecessary for me. 

13 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Not at all. He loved every minute. Never took his eyes off the game. Still on a high as he went to school tomorrow. 

Maybe a few years ago but having the young one with me calmed me somewhat. Didn’t want to make a scene with him there. He understands that what he hears at a game isn’t to be repeated. Just totally unnecessary for me. 

You did better than my daughter - she suffers with hyper mobility and had dislocated her knee last week. We managed to do a swap with a guy in the East Stand (thanks Nigel Griffiths) but on the way to the turnstile a bunch, no a herd of about 20 Manure fans simply walked straight through her as though she wasn’t there, completely ignoring the fact that she was on crutches. They then proceeded to try and push the St John’s Ambulance guys out of the way, and the stewards who moved in to prevent her from getting trampled to death  and they would have done if allowed.

We spent the next 40 minutes in the ambulance before the stewards smuggled us into the disabled area at the East Stand/North Stand corner. We finally sat down just after the first goal went in.

It is likely that being pushed to the ground like that has caused serious ligament damage, but will have to wait till the 22nd March for an MRI scan - thanks Boris. One wonders if the meathead called Mactominy is a fan as well because they were like a load of Neanderthals last night, just like he was.

6 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

You did better than my daughter - she suffers with hyper mobility and had dislocated her knee last week. We managed to do a swap with a guy in the East Stand (thanks Nigel Griffiths) but on the way to the turnstile a bunch, no a herd of about 20 Manure fans simply walked straight through her as though she wasn’t there, completely ignoring the fact that she was on crutches. They then proceeded to try and push the St John’s Ambulance guys out of the way, and the stewards who moved in to prevent her from getting trampled to death  and they would have done if allowed.

We spent the next 40 minutes in the ambulance before the stewards smuggled us into the disabled area at the East Stand/North Stand corner. We finally sat down just after the first goal went in.

It is likely that being pushed to the ground like that has caused serious ligament damage, but will have to wait till the 22nd March for an MRI scan - thanks Boris. One wonders if the meathead called Mactominy is a fan as well because they were like a load of Neanderthals last night, just like he was.

Bunch of idiots, group/mob mentality. Oh look at me I’m hard in front of all my mates. 

4 hours ago, DRBee said:

Do keep up - i was arguing it wasn't as simple as there being only 4 changes to the team.

Hmmmmmmm.......I must have imagined the bit in bold below.  

Are you sure it's only other people that are being "pompous twits"?

However its sad to see some pompous twits  ( who clearly see themselves as superior ) criticising those who moaned about the team selection. It's a very respectable argument to want to see a team more used to playing together so that we have a better chance of wining. Its not short-termism to want to win a one-off cup match -whats the point of being in the competition if not? Its disingenuous to argue there were only 4 changes since there were positional changes as well and you can't argue that CB is Fozzies best position. There will be plenty of opportunities to give the youngsters a chance before the end of the season.

14 hours ago, Andicis said:

Because it's been proven time and time again Forsyth isn't a good centre half. We have loads and loads of evidence for it. Evans maybe you'd wanna see more, but Forsyth isn't good enough at centre half to be played there vs Man Utd. They didn't really do ok, the first two goals for me are from poor defending from the centre halves, not watched them back though. 

Ah, so because they conceded three against Luton, means they'll concede three vs others? But they only conceded one to Wednesday at the weekend... weird point, nonsensical.

Maybe and you've proved my point for me, it's just as nonsensical if we had played two other CB's then that would have improved the scoreline.

If your a clairvoyant then sure, but for most of us we can't predict what might have been with different players. The two in there did ok with what they had to deal with. 

Just now, Ramarena said:

Maybe and you've proved my point for me, it's just as nonsensical if we had played two other CB's then that would have improved the scoreline.

If your a clairvoyant then sure, but for most of us we can't predict what might have been with different players. The two in there did ok with what they had to deal with. 

You don't have to be clairvoyant to suspect that better defenders would have made an improvement to the team now, do you ?

Archived