v Manchester United (H) - Matchday Thread

Sean

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

I've not read the whole thread, but did anybody else pick up the high boot on Sibley off their keeper? Any outfield player doing that would have been booked at least. It wasn't even the high boot that wound me up, it was because he brought it down onto Sibleys shoulder and it looked deliberate to me.

Yes, I spotted that.  Very high, very late, and very well timed for after the eyes of the officials had already diverted to follow the ball.  And 99% of the crowd too, no doubt?  Pure fluke that I saw it.
Sibley gave him some verbals as he sauntered off, with his head held high!  No point labouring the point, as he knew the keeper had done him, with perfect timing!   ?

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was impressed when the two Manure players shook hands with Lawrence as he was subbed.

Also that they did not insist on a penno following what I thought to be a clear handball.

I was not so enamoured with the poor luvvies who went flying after minimal/no contact.

If Louie's cannonball had gone in the net the result may have been different.

However, once they stepped on the gas there was no way we'd finish up as any other than runners-up.

l felt we acquitted ourselves well against superior opposition in a good cup-tie.

41 minutes ago, DRBee said:

If the cap fits ........ and you have called fellow posters far worse.

Care to share the posts in question matey? Think you're making stuff up. Perhaps you're just someone who whines a lot when their opinions are challenged.

59 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I know @Andicis. . . There was a feint whiff of irony in my post. I enjoyed the occasion last night but I sensed the players didn’t have the self-belief that they could win like a Lampard team might’ve had. I’m with you. 

Maybe no Tomori, Mount or Wilson playing for us had something to do with it?

26 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Maybe no Tomori, Mount or Wilson playing for us had something to do with it?

Nature vs. Nurture? The eternal debate. At what point does self-belief become “talent”? It’s the manager’s job to send out players onto the pitch believing they can and will win the game. We went very close last night. . . but in my view we had insufficient levels of “win at all costs” adrenaline. Fine margins . . . but my view is that we lack that magic potion. Last year, Wilson, Tomori and Mount had “potential” but Lampard gave them the self-belief. Does Cocu supply that ingredient? Does he give them “chutzpah”? Jury still out for me. Brian Clough & Peter Taylor knew all about this; they had an implicit ability to instill indelible self-belief in players. That is the Holy Grail of Leadership. Anybody can buy the best players in the World & win things . . . It’s not about talent it’s about talent & a refusal to lose. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chutzpah

I think that Lord Philip of Cocu was dammed if he did and dammed if he didn't.

With my "short -term" hat on I  was dissapointed with the team selection. Not only the central defence line up, but also with the lack of the Chris Martin/Jack Marriott pairing, which is still to be given a fair chance. Usually Jack comes on as Chris goes off. Part of me really wanted us to go on the front foot and have a real go at the other Reds, but deep down knew that it would leave us on the front row of the grid against Blackburn on Sunday with no petrol in the tank.

I also knew there was only a small chance of victory, even though it was a possibility, so went to the match determined to enjoy whatever was served up. As usual, all I wanted was for the team to leave everything out on the pitch - which i think they did. But which defenders to put out? Looking back over the season, all of the defenders have have good games, and all have had mares. To me, it didn't really matter which ones Cocu picked, because how they actually performed is a proven lottery job.

I actually think Cocu did a great job. There was sufficient out there to give Manchester United a good match, and even give them problems, although I still think Martin was much more likely to pick the killer through ball to unlock their defence than Waghorn. Ho hum. And Cocu was also playing the long game. It is all very well stuffing the biggest club in the country/world, but we were still unlikely to go all the way and win at Wembley, so Cocu kept his eye on Sunday's match against Blackburn. And maybe he is thinking of potentially reaching the play-offs, but more likely is aiming for sufficient points to protect from relegation should the EFL manage to fins a way to dock the points they (or Gibson) want to take off us. So we had two full backs who a great going forwards and could possibly push United onto the back foot, and we had two central defenders who were comfortable on the ball - not something which could be said of all representatives of those positions. And in actual fact, from what i managed to see of the match, we looked probably the most comfortable we have ever looked this season playing out from the back.

Why didn't I see all of the game? It is mentioned earlier on in the thread, but my daughter, who is suffering from a badly dislocated knee, was knocked over to the ground by a bunch of United neanderthals/MacTimmany's, even though her being on crutches was blatantly obvious for all to see. So much of the first half was spent in an ambulance before being smuggled into the disabled area just after the first goal went in. 

So i didn't see our lively start, or us give a good account of ourselves in the opening salvo's. And that first goal was dead jammy, wasn't it. What it meant that United could now settle and take their time - the pressure of a potential shock result was put at arm's length. The third goal put paid to any chance we might have had. Thankfully we didn't let our heads go down, and did put in some good crosses and shots. But towards the end, United had several good chances, but put them all over the bar. Given the quality of their squad, I have to wonder why? It might have simply been player error, but i also wonder of their was an element of not wanting to embarrass their former player too much. After all, beating us by 7 or 8 goals would have been cruel.

In the end, we did OK, the graduates excelled and we have plenty in the tank for Sunday. And what will playing against some of the world's best players, (which doesn't include that Meathed in the Number 39 shirt) have done for our young prospects?

I tihnk Cocu got the balance between what was needed for the night against what is needed for the rest of the season and what is wanted for the long term fairly spot on, Chris Martin excepted.

I'm happy with that. 

And very angry with the the idiots who injured and could have threatened the life of my daughter.

57 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

After all, beating us by 7 or 8 goals would have been cruel.

We did enough ourselves to not get beat by that margin. People forget that Romero made some fine saves and had a really good game

10 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Nature vs. Nurture? The eternal debate. At what point does self-belief become “talent”? It’s the manager’s job to send out players onto the pitch believing they can and will win the game. We went very close last night. . . but in my view we had insufficient levels of “win at all costs” adrenaline. Fine margins . . . but my view is that we lack that magic potion. Last year, Wilson, Tomori and Mount had “potential” but Lampard gave them the self-belief. Does Cocu supply that ingredient? Does he give them “chutzpah”? Jury still out for me. Brian Clough & Peter Taylor knew all about this; they had an implicit ability to instill indelible self-belief in players. That is the Holy Grail of Leadership. Anybody can buy the best players in the World & win things . . . It’s not about talent it’s about talent & a refusal to lose. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chutzpah

I agree with you.

He possibly doesnt have that...Klopp, Mourinho has that, Fergie, Simeone.. 

But does Poch? Pep really? Wenger definitely didnt? They do it differently and but just as successfully.  By quiet planning, sticking to principles, right players in right place knowing their roles... 

9 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

We did enough ourselves to not get beat by that margin. People forget that Romero made some fine saves and had a really good game

Yes. I saw the save from Rooney late on, but @was otherwise engaged@ for the earlier saves. I was only trying to surmise why such quality players could make so many glaring misses when even Waghorn would have managed to bundle one of them in!

20 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A bizarre comment from a United fan: “Sibley picking on the wrong guy to mess with. McT is a tank.” 

The same McTominay that was rolling around clutching his face after to top of Sibley’s boot made contact. 

I think you mean when Sibley kicked him in the head?

Sith Happens
20 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

I think you mean when Sibley kicked him in the head?

5 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Was there actually any contact?

Not seen the replay but if there was any contact it looked accidental....didn't look like a kick in the head to me. Yet the afters a little while later was a clear attempt by McTominay to stamp on Sibley.

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Not seen the replay but if there was any contact it looked accidental....didn't look like a kick in the head to me. Yet the afters a little while later was a clear attempt by McTominay to stamp on Sibley.

It looked like he made contact but it was more of a tap then a whack and as you say it seemed  accidental 

2 minutes ago, Rambam said:

Now you’ve seen the team sheet, eh?

Yeah, I’ve just seen it now! Evans at centre half?! Fumin. Bet Man Utd win 3-0. Reckon Ighalo might tear our centre halves apart and get a brace too. The jammy bar stewards will probably get lucky on the third by hitting it in off Lingards back or some poo

Archived