v Manchester United (H) - Matchday Thread

Sean

Sith Happens

I enjoyed the game, yes United were better but 3-0 was tough on us, we had some excellent play, thought Sibley was excellent and stood up well to McTominay who should have been booked by the ref for his clear 'afters' on Sibley. Shame we lost Lawrence and hope he is ok.

Shame to see people leaving so early yet again, had Rooney scored late on thousands of Derby fans would have missed it. 

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

‘We played the kids’ seems to translate to ‘we played 9 first team players plus Evans and Sibley (who people have been crying out to get minutes) but I disagreed with the CB partnership’ 

Probably Clarke and Wisdoms best game for us last night lookin at some of the comments. 

Nah that was Bristol City away where they shipped 3 goals in an hour. We'd definitely have won yesterday with them playing though, 100% 

7 hours ago, Andicis said:

These two are the ones I disagree with most. I thought Max Lowe was poor tonight. Rate him highly as a player, but his work in possession wasn't good enough. Sibley caused United a lot of problem with his directness, and never gave the ball away when he had it. I thought he was our most threatening player. I'd give Sibley an 8/10 and Max only a 5/10.

Fair enough, I can see where you’re coming from. I just think Lowe deserves credit defensively against a strong attacking outfit. I agree Sibley was threatening when he did get the ball, and there’s definitely real potential there, I just think he needs a little more composure - and to get on the ball a bit more often. Both probably come with experience.

Turns out that Wisdom was ill so that's one change (Evans) accounted for.

We're now down to moaning about Cocu bringing a reserve keeper in for a reserve keeper, and preferring the energy of Lowe & Sibley to the more experienced but more cumbersome Clarke/Davies & Martin.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Fair enough, I can see where you’re coming from. I just think Lowe deserves credit defensively against a strong attacking outfit. I agree Sibley was threatening when he did get the ball, and there’s definitely real potential there, I just think he needs a little more composure - and to get on the ball a bit more often. Both probably come with experience.

Agree

made me chuckle him and knight through sheer eagerness and enthusiasm ran the ball straight out of play in consecutive touches lol 

was like watching Labrador pubbys chase a ball lol 

Such a contrast though the energy to what PC put out those first few matches of the season 

Huddlestone and dowell 

sibley and knight 

I thought lowe was poor tbh, yes he’s obviously against world class opposition... they all were 

but he’s wobbled a bit of late and shown a few things that concern me a little ... there’s a reason fozzy has become the number 1 choice again 

Malone in my book will be gone if we can get a taker for him and then it’s down to max to watch learn and develop and wrestle that shirt back off fozzy 

U could say in an ideal world next season if we have top 6 aspirations we could do with strengthening that area but there’s so many other priorities atm within the squad 

38 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Except he didn’t say that at all.  He was asked about making the playoffs and responded to that by saying we’re just focussing on Blackburn. The same old “focus on the next game” stuff that every manager everywhere says. At no point did he say we’re focussing on the Blackburn game over the Man Utd one.

Not how I heard it but will have to see if I can  find it and listen again.

I can understand the frustrations over the team selections, I can, but at the same time I really can’t come up with a team that Cocu could have played that would have beat United last night. 

Wisdom was ill, would Clarke and Davies been the difference with maybe Forsyth at left back? I just don’t see it, even if some still feel disrespected this morning. 

The argument will always be, win or lose you put your strongest team out, as I say I get that, especially with the cost of football and those that make the extra effort to travel midweek. 

Fairly sure Cocu didn’t set out to disrespect you or the cup, his job is for 4 years and he’s simply doing what he believes is best for the future of this club. 

I would drop the League/Carabao cup on a side note, FA Cup game on a Thursday night? Nah. Free the calendar up.

The game pretty much went as expected, we had chances which we didn’t take, was on the end of a bit of bad luck and made costly mistakes at the back. Which pretty much sums the season up if we ignore all the off the field stuff. 

For me, there were more positives to be had from last night, I know we tend to big up our academy lads a lot, but I really do feel we have something special in Bird, Knight and Sibley. Last night will do them a world of good being tested against one of the best clubs in the country in a competitive game.

Seen it said a few times catching up on last night, but let’s see more of Sibley now in the remaining games, that kid will be a star for us.

Sith Happens
25 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Duck 'em!  More room for me to dance around!  

Oh god please no...

c9flmm.gif.0a78a5dce9dae76758ee8fc89a058867.gif

57 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I enjoyed the game, yes United were better but 3-0 was tough on us, we had some excellent play, thought Sibley was excellent and stood up well to McTominay who should have been booked by the ref for his clear 'afters' on Sibley. Shame we lost Lawrence and hope he is ok.

Shame to see people leaving so early yet again, had Rooney scored late on thousands of Derby fans would have missed it. 

No, thousands of part-timers who just turn up to the occasional "big" game would have missed it.

A big plus for the teenagers in our team, Impressed, There's a fine line from being unlucky to deserve, Sibley, Waghorn, Marriott and Rooney all came close, Then again United had other opportunitys, The partnership of Forsyth and Evens was somewhat confusing, Evens only having a few games in the under 23s and Forsyth not having too good a time at CH, Who knows what would have been the score if Wisdom, Davies or Clarke had have played, The result in my opinion would have been the same, Maybe not the scoreline though.

We can all see i'd hope what Cocu is having to do, Money will be in short supply next season, We have some very talented youth players, If they're not getting game time then there's no future for them here, Sibley was the outstanding young player, Agression and pace gave united some problems, Bird plays a simple game, Gets and gives the ball in small spaces, Knight has the potential just needs the concistency, Bogle other than his cross for Waghorns miss wasn't at his best, He really needs to up his game ie better crosses as the majority went out or found a red shirt.

I can see major changes next season with a host of players being shown the door, Some free and maybe a couple of buys and season 20-21 could be one to look forward too.

Last night wasn't to be, United had too much for us, There's no shame in losing 0-3, It's how they cope in the future and what makes me a little enthusiastic next season.

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Bugger admiring the noise.

I want to offer congratulations to whoever it was who strapped a camera to their knob.

Top top work lads.....?

Zoon Lens?

Smallprint:
Ok...Ok... that would have worked a hell of a lot better had Josefzoon actually been in the starting line up, but hey, at least I tried!

I thought Waggy worked really hard last night but his finishing let him down again with a chance each half missed that a more clinical striker would have taken. He does brilliantly to contribute to the build up and get into the positions so it's hard to knock him but maybe that was as much the difference between the two sides as our defence.

That early first chance taken and Manchester start to doubt themselves a bit - we've all seen it happen. 

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Except he didn’t say that at all.  He was asked about making the playoffs and responded to that by saying we’re just focussing on Blackburn. The same old “focus on the next game” stuff that every manager everywhere says. At no point did he say we’re focussing on the Blackburn game over the Man Utd one.

Yeah, but that doesn't fit the agenda that Cocu only picked that team last night to piss off the gammon stand. 

Archived