Coronavirus

1of4

5 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Sports Direct are putting their staff at risk for the sole purpose of trying to exploit the fact that they are open and everyone else is not. This also means that the staff on zero hour/part time contracts that have been told not to go in are unable to claim any government support.

What Ashley and his lot are doing to their staff is vile, that much should be obvious to anyone.

How are they at risk if nobody is going in?

Not sure how the 80% works for zero hour contracts.

See they have reversed their decision now anyway.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Yes I've just had one, also have no underlying issues that's been flagged so far.

Only thing I've got is high blood pressure - which is controlled with medication. It's not on any high risk list. I can maybe understand it more for these guys

57 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Yes I have. I assume it was because I was hospitalised last August with pancreatitis that lead to surgery to remove gall bladder, hence I am on their records.

4 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Yeah my Mrs got one this morning.  She has rheumatoid arthritis so regularly goes to get bloods done, and is under the care of a consultant.

Mrs Wolfie has far more stuff wrong with her than I do, bless her, so who knows. It had me worried for a bit...

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

How are they at risk if nobody is going in?

Not sure how the 80% works for zero hour contracts.

See they have reversed their decision now anyway.

At least some of the staff still have to travel to work on public transport where they run the risk of coming in to contact with the virus, who will then come in to contact with their colleagues and so on. The risk doesn't just come from being in the store, even if they would have been nearly empty. Even that wasn't a guaranteed outcome based on the way some folk have been acting.

Reversing the decision is the right thing to do but it doesn't alter the fact they were fully willing to do it and only altered course in the face of a significant backlash.

On the zero hour thing I am not sure to be honest, I guess the sensible way to do it would be to work out a payment based on their average hours worked over the previous couple of months or something? Not sure if that has been explicitly stated anywhere.

18 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Costco.

I know Macro has been doing trade only in Sheffield.It seems to be the supermarkets which are still mental today.

Costco in Southampton has been bonkers by all accounts. 

I never thought I'd be grateful to Mrs VdM's ice cream business for providing a vehicle through which I could purchase a gross of toilet rolls and a hundredweight of finest pork and beef sausages.....?

15 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Only thing I've got is high blood pressure - which is controlled with medication. It's not on any high risk list. I can maybe understand it more for these guys

Mrs Wolfie has far more stuff wrong with her than I do, bless her, so who knows. It had me worried for a bit...

Chin up mate. I think because of the uncertainties they are drawing the definition of "underlying medical conditions " as widely as possible. 

Look after Mrs W and with a fair wind we'll all be back to sniping at each other by summer ?

For me....helps me to keep booze content right down, so my health actually improves in other ways....

17 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

At least some of the staff still have to travel to work on public transport where they run the risk of coming in to contact with the virus, who will then come in to contact with their colleagues and so on. The risk doesn't just come from being in the store, even if they would have been nearly empty, which wasn't a guaranteed outcome based on the way some folk have been acting.

Reversing the decision is the right thing to do but it doesn't alter the fact they were fully willing to do it and only altered course in the face of a significant backlash.

On the zero hour thing I am not sure to be honest, I guess the sensible way to do it would be to work out a payment based on their average hours worked over the previous couple of months or something? Not sure if that has been explicitly stated anywhere.

You never know from week to week 

Or day to day mate there is average earning mate.

4 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

The Chemical Brothers, 40 years before The Chemical Brothers. Although tbf, Lennon wrote this on his own, presumably after a bucket of mushrooms.

Also there’s a long list of cracking musicians who can’t read or write a note 

11 minutes ago, Archied said:

Also there’s a long list of cracking musicians who can’t read or write a note 

Once heard it described as, they were so far outside of the box, they didn't know there was a box they should have been in.

4 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Politics no longer makes sense - Lefties are suddenly finding themselves happy to be living under the lockdown of an authoritarian right-wing government and, in fact - complaining that they aren't restricting our liberties enough!

And the right-wing libertarian Brexit death cult types are worrying about whether they will be able to wipe their bottoms rather than the colour of their passports.

1 hour ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Costco.

I know Macro has been doing trade only in Sheffield.It seems to be the supermarkets which are still mental today.

Went to Aldi this morning and it was pretty quiet. Not too many empty shelves. There was only item we couldn't get. 

6 hours ago, GboroRam said:

A lockdown that you can get out of by telling the police "I'm going for a walk". Great stuff Boris.

A few years ago, I had simple varicose vein operation that went wrong and left me with a deep vein thrombosis. I have recovered very well and have had no trouble since, but it is very important for me to "go for a walk" regularly so that my calf muscles can massage the affected veins and keep them soft and supple. I might not catch pneumonia as a result of coronavirus,  but I might get an embolism due to sitting around all day.

To be fair, I went out this morning and saw that the vast majority do obey they rules, keep their distance and refrain from forming groups. I also saw the police having a word with a group of about five or six workers on a building site that were having a fag and a chat with each other.

Let's hope that the vast majority continue to show sense.

Archived