Coronavirus

1of4

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

I think a voluntary distancing effort is destined to fail, and it needs a stronger leadership to enforce social rules that have a chance of working. 

Strangely it's the right that's being over liberal on this issue.

Not so strange as I think it’s economicaly driven ,, 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

I think a voluntary distancing effort is destined to fail, and it needs a stronger leadership to enforce social rules that have a chance of working. 

You've got to make it voluntary for as long as you can, though, surely.

It's not about strong leadership, or mixed messages, as I've seen as justification elsewhere. It's about personal resonsibility. It's a cop out by those doing what they like and then pointing the finger at authorities for not stopping them.

Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Paul, try not to sweat it too much. I think the Coronavirus handling is a big enough issue to warrant a topic, and the Government's handling of it, good or bad, will be part of that conversation. I think we can be pragmatic.

Fair enough you are a moderator so you can choose who can post what. Personally think its being used as another means to bash the government when there is a thread that is devoted to this.

One rule and all that.

15 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

You've got to make it voluntary for as long as you can, though, surely.

It's not about strong leadership, or mixed messages, as I've seen as justification elsewhere. It's about personal resonsibility. It's a cop out by those doing what they like and then pointing the finger at authorities for not stopping them.

Ok responsible builder doesn’t go out to sites to mix with people , non responsible does , the responsible is punished not only short term earning but poss losing long term contacts going forward ,,,,, leadership needed to create level playing field

55 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Politics no longer makes sense - Lefties are suddenly finding themselves happy to be living under the lockdown of an authoritarian right-wing government and, in fact - complaining that they aren't restricting our liberties enough!

25 minutes ago, Archied said:

Ok responsible builder doesn’t go out to sites to mix with people , non responsible does , the responsible is punished not only short term earning but poss losing long term contacts going forward ,,,,, leadership needed to create level playing field

How about responsible builder goes onto site but doesn't mix with people (as much as is possible). Meanwhile responsible site manager encourages "safer" working practices.

It's really not rocket science.

Sorry I'm finding this really frustrating that so many people seem so incapable of making common sense decisions without being spoon-fed everything.

Leadership can exist at any level. It doesn't have to be like this.

3 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Politics no longer makes sense - Lefties are suddenly finding themselves happy to be living under the lockdown of an authoritarian right-wing government and, in fact - complaining that they aren't restricting our liberties enough!

Meanwhile the right wing government are now to the left of Venezuela!

8 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Sorry I'm finding this really frustrating that so many people seem so incapable of making common sense decisions without being spoon-fed everything.

It is frustrating, but clearly the general public aren't capable of making those common sense decisions, so someone has to put rules in place. 

Like at my work, while the government is only offering guidance they feel powerless to stop people making poor choices. The preference is for firm rules, not guidance.

5 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

How about responsible builder goes onto site but doesn't mix with people (as much as is possible). Meanwhile responsible site manager encourages "safer" working practices.

Really ???? You don’t have a clue

have you ever tried lifting a 6 m roll of 760 code 5 lead ? Two man job impossible to be more than 760 cm apart

have you ever tried fitting a veluxe impossible to keep distance 

now I can list you hundreds of examples that show your post is totaly clueless ,do you need me to list them all for you?

lets not even go to the issue of site accidents and injuries that occur regularly in construction 

4 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

That's very true.

My cousin asked the manager in a small Co-op why the staff were not given gloves/ no two distancing in lines .  Apparantly, he had no directive from senior management . 

Also following last nights announcement, thought I would sign up for online shopping .  No luck so far,  They are not taking on new customers currently due to high demand .  I wish politicians wouldn't make broad statements without checking if it's practically possible first .  Life's stressful enough.

Without going into semantics, I can also advise the government is nowhere near practising what it preaches when it comes to it's own workers. They are leaving far to much in the hands of management discretion, when clear direction is needed . All very frustrating

14 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I’m guessing you are a pen pusher , nothing wrong with that but clearly in no position to know it’s pretty much impossible to do the majority of manual tasks involved in construction whilst adhering to safe distancing?

1 minute ago, Archied said:

I’m guessing you are a pen pusher , nothing wrong with that but clearly in no position to know it’s pretty much impossible to do the majority of manual tasks involved in construction whilst adhering to safe distancing?

Also true.

Take your point with this .  Even in gardening jobs you need two or three people in direct contacting unloading bags concrete. panelling, slabs etc for reasons of weight.  On the same point having done both types of work in my life - worked as ground worker for a couple of years as a student, an office is just as bad as they were never built for this . In fact where I've worked over the last few years, hot desking where you share everything has been a growing obsession.

People think the decisions the government take sare sooooo easy. 

Gold command opened yesterday morning. The government now have control of the prisons, not individual governors. The process of implementing a full lockdown is scary. Fights, suicides, self-harm etc. Those who can't do the time behind their door for 14 hours at a time are going to kill themselves - how wil they cope with 24. No family visits, no exercise, no library etc. 

Some of you have no idea how careful you have to be in certain places of work to get it in a full lockdown position. You can't announce it over the news at 6pm. The strategies that have to be in place for a secure location have to be so we'll thought out. 

ducks me off. Its alright, announce the full lockdown before we're ready. I will take numerous punches to the face and witness all the suicide attempts. I've cut 2 people down in the last 3 shifts because of the fear of a 3 month lockdown. 

Some of you, quite frankly, aren't quite as intelligent as you hoped you are.

All people had to do was show common sense. That is all they had to do. 

Leadership in situations like this should come from individual households. Take some responsibility for yourselves. Not blame the government for everything. 

1 hour ago, Van Wolfie said:

How is it Boris's fault that the Media have chosen to call it a lockdown? - when it clearly isn't. Yet.

I'm not a Boris fan but all he's trying to do is get people to take it seriously and limit the spread. A significant minority of people are clearly too stupid / selfish to do so.

Not sure what point you're trying to make. Are you saying people shouldn't be able to go outside for walks?. Fine if you have a big garden / don't live in a flat.

Its interesting how the UK response is being observed by other governments. The FT article on Taiwan that i referred to earlier has the following excerpts which show strong views on both sides. Only when the dust has settled will be able to call our governments conduct to account.......

Wang Jen-hsien, a doctor at China Medical University Hospital in Taichung and chairman of the Taiwan Counter Contagious Diseases Society, argues that it is debatable whether the lockdown measures applied in China and replicated in some European countries are justified given their heavy social and economic cost.

“The smart Brits saw China’s success and Italy’s failure, and drew their own conclusions. China’s success has a price, and China’s economy is big, they can afford that, but the UK not necessarily,” he wrote in United Daily News, a local paper, last week. “That the UK is this intrepid deserves our respect.”

Taiwanese policymakers dismiss such arguments as nonsense. Vice-president Chen Chien-jen, an epidemiologist and former health minister, warns that trying to stop the epidemic by letting parts of the population get infected and become immune is a murderous experiment.

He estimates it would take between 19m to 49m Brits to catch Covid-19 before its spread was contained. “If you test only severe cases (20 per cent), there would still be 3.8m to 9.8m confirmed cases, hundreds of thousands would die,” he wrote on Facebook last week. “The number of deaths would be the world’s highest.”

4 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Yeah, it sounds like it.

You had to edit to make it sound that way rather than answer the whole point which is that you have made scathing comments about things you have not the first clue about ,, well done ,a roll in the media would be good fit 

10 minutes ago, Norman said:

People think the decisions the government take sare sooooo easy. 

Gold command opened yesterday morning. The government now have control of the prisons, not individual governors. The process of implementing a full lockdown is scary. Fights, suicides, self-harm etc. Those who can't do the time behind their door for 14 hours at a time are going to kill themselves - how wil they cope with 24. No family visits, no exercise, no library etc. 

Some of you have no idea how careful you have to be in certain places of work to get it in a full lockdown position. You can't announce it over the news at 6pm. The strategies that have to be in place for a secure location have to be so we'll thought out. 

ducks me off. Its alright, announce the full lockdown before we're ready. I will take numerous punches to the face and witness all the suicide attempts. I've cut 2 people down in the last 3 shifts because of the fear of a 3 month lockdown. 

Some of you, quite frankly, aren't quite as intelligent as you hoped you are.

All people had to do was show common sense. That is all they had to do. 

Leadership in situations like this should come from individual households. Take some responsibility for yourselves. Not blame the government for everything. 

Prison workers would be essential workers and we are all aware that is a whole different ball game and rightly so, your post is not relevant to the advise ,guidance ,instructions on non essential work ,travel , shopping ,going out issues

Archived