Coronavirus

1of4

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Exactly re Sports Direct. Not sure why people are getting their knickers in a twist. Let them stay open, sure they will be operating at a loss as literally nobody will be in there!

The only thing funnier than the #bekind #staysafe movement are the people that did all of their panicky buying/stockpiling and are now sat there moaning at the morons who are going to the shops to try and get essentials!

Sports Direct are putting their staff at risk for the sole purpose of trying to exploit the fact that they are open and everyone else is not. This also means that the staff on zero hour/part time contracts that have been told not to go in are unable to claim any government support.

What Ashley and his lot are doing to their staff is vile, that much should be obvious to anyone.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

The army will be used to help police it, but yes, probably still not enough numbers.

Many will "get away with it"... but for those that are found to be out and about without good reason, they should not be arrested.  They should not be asked/told to return home.  They should "be taken somewhere to self-isolate for 14 days".  They should not pass go!  They should not be able to pop home and pick up a few bits!

The sooner that happens... and the sooner word/pictures get out... the sooner the "Social Dunces" may start to take heed.

Bring it on, Boris!

What would I do? If you are caught out once without reason you get a fine of £50. If you are found out twice you get put on a register that puts you at low priority for a ventilator or other NHS treatment if a time comes when you need it. Not to say that you won't be treated, just to say that you are low priority.

Sith Happens
16 minutes ago, David said:

You would think so, going to be hard staying in for 3 weeks so a chance to get out the house for a few hours at night, say hello to people from afar. 

Would have to be Skype interviews though surely if they were to take people on?

The good old fashioned telephone even....

20 minutes ago, Archied said:

What a bumbling shat show from boris , I’m a self employed in the construction industry ,wife self employed childminder

so if you working on a construction project and you act responsibly then not only do you not earn any money short term but you can lose your work going forward to people who don’t , same for wife

why have lock down headlines when it’s clearly not

Same here. Self employed in construction too. Can't work from home and I'm allowed to go to work if I must. 

Well, I must. I'd happily not if the lockdown actually locked me down. But it doesn't. As you say the trades are still ticking. The building merchants are closed though. But not going to work today not only means no money but also means possibly no work in the future. 

So I'm picking a labourer up and going to work hoping when I get there and see the electricians, plumbers and joiners none of us have picked up this virus in a supermarket

Keeping as clean and using as much common sense as possible but I don't think self employed people who travel to workplaces have really got many options. 

13 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Sports Direct are putting their staff at risk for the sole purpose of trying to exploit the fact that they are open and everyone else is not. This also means that the staff on zero hour contracts that have been told not to go in are unable to claim any government support.

What Ashley and his lot are doing to their staff is vile, that much should be obvious to anyone.

Yeah it would have been poo for the workers but I'd love the idea of all shops open but only staff inside. Draining the greedy cnuts pockets. 

8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

A lockdown that you can get out of by telling the police "I'm going for a walk". Great stuff Boris.

FFS. It’s about reducing the chances of spreading the virus and slowing it down. I think the government and their advisors (not just Boris you know that don’t you?) recognise that it’s important people get exercise (not everyone has a garden you know) and they appreciate that it will be near on impossible to police. But, if there are fewer groups together (youths, cycling groups, jogging groups etc) it’s got to be better than nothing. 

If they feel it is being abused then no doubt there will be stronger actions taken. For example, my brother lives in France and he needs to complete paperwork just to take the dog for a walk.

I’m far more concerned about how busy Aldi will be when we do our weekly shop this morning than how many people I pass (at a safe distance) if I take my usual afternoon stroll along the canal.

6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

The good old fashioned telephone even....

Shouldn’t matter what you look like, it does to employers.

But then hygiene is important when it comes to working with food. Would you want someone delivering your food that smelt like they hadn’t washed in a month and had nails that looked like worm farms? ?

Cob/burger vans still knocking about.

Here's the good one. I'm at work now (plastering on a site) and some of the other trades are going home. Taking no risks they say. 

Packing their tools up. Fair enough. Gonna hit them in the pocket and that's poo but they're making a selfless decision

What's that? Ah! A few of them have just come back from the cob shop that's open on the main street. Straight into the break room, make a drink and then off they pop. 

See, I don't think this lockdown is going to protect us from ourselves is it unless it gets even more strict. 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, David said:

Shouldn’t matter what you look like, it does to employers.

But then hygiene is important when it comes to working with food. Would you want someone delivering your food that smelt like they hadn’t washed in a month and had nails that looked like worm farms? ?

I suppose so yeah true.

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Cob/burger vans still knocking about.

Here's the good one. I'm at work now (plastering on a site) and some of the other trades are going home. Taking no risks they say. 

Packing their tools up. Fair enough. Gonna hit them in the pocket and that's poo but they're making a selfless decision

What's that? Ah! A few of them have just come back from the cob shop that's open on the main street. Straight into the break room, make a drink and then off they pop. 

See, I don't think this lockdown is going to protect us from ourselves is it unless it gets even more strict. 

Yep ,here’s where the boris thing rears it’s head ,, he’s a bafoon , not about what side you vote be it con,lab,lib, other ,,,,, boris is and always has been a joke figure 

Well all evidence suggests there's only one man that can steer this ship through these muddy waters, having fought off scandal after revelation, got everyone pulling in the right direction and shown us a true glimpse of what the future could be... that man is Philip Cocu.

42 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

A lockdown that you can get out of by telling the police "I'm going for a walk". Great stuff Boris.

How is it Boris's fault that the Media have chosen to call it a lockdown? - when it clearly isn't. Yet.

I'm not a Boris fan but all he's trying to do is get people to take it seriously and limit the spread. A significant minority of people are clearly too stupid / selfish to do so.

Not sure what point you're trying to make. Are you saying people shouldn't be able to go outside for walks?. Fine if you have a big garden / don't live in a flat.

25 minutes ago, Archied said:

Yep ,here’s where the boris thing rears it’s head ,, he’s a bafoon , not about what side you vote be it con,lab,lib, other ,,,,, boris is and always has been a joke figure 

And he is trying to model himself on Churchill. 

Just now, Paul71 said:

Surely politics should be in the politics thread...…

Paul, try not to sweat it too much. I think the Coronavirus handling is a big enough issue to warrant a topic, and the Government's handling of it, good or bad, will be part of that conversation. I think we can be pragmatic.

7 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

How is it Boris's fault that the Media have chosen to call it a lockdown? - when it clearly isn't. Yet.

I'm not a Boris fan but all he's trying to do is get people to take it seriously and limit the spread. A significant minority of people are clearly too stupid / selfish to do so.

Not sure what point you're trying to make. Are you saying people shouldn't be able to go outside for walks?. Fine if you have a big garden / don't live in a flat.

I think a voluntary distancing effort is destined to fail, and it needs a stronger leadership to enforce social rules that have a chance of working. 

Strangely it's the right that's being over liberal on this issue.

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

Paul, try not to sweat it too much. I think the Coronavirus handling is a big enough issue to warrant a topic, and the Government's handling of it, good or bad, will be part of that conversation. I think we can be pragmatic.

Yep agree , the govment handling of Coronavirus crisis is relevant in here surely

Archived