Coronavirus

1of4

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Went shopping with the missus today and wearing a mask seemed a real pain tbh.

Some places it was too warm as there was no air con on, with masks on it made it unbearable. We went to several shops, we were picking up bits and bobs and it seemed like we couldn't get what we wanted so ended up trawling several places.

Found wearing a mask for more than 10 minutes was an uncomfortable, miserable, alien experience. The missus detested it and has sworn to keep shopping down to the bare minimum or do it online and she can normally happily spend an afternoon in the Intu centre.

Perhaps we are the exception, but our experience today will keep us out of shops unless its absolutely necessary.

Shopping has changed and a lot of people don’t like it because it’s not got easier,queues,distancing and now masks.

I speak to a lot of people who come to us once every 2-3 months and stock up now to cut down on trips.

We’re lucky it’s July,move all this to December/January and it will become unpleasant.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

How deal with it stop being so flaming scared of the bloody thing and continue doing things use to do.

7 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Well I think mind over matter sort of thing quite few people said who had it said sort of thing and came out of other side.

Good posts.  We just need to be stronger.  The mind is a powerful tool.
If we think we can beat this virus, we will.

And perhaps in the meantime, we can also use this same powerful tool to convince ourselves that we can actually breath through 0.3mm of cotton fabric, and that face masks aren't out to suffocate us all, as we all try to get back to doing the things we used to do.
And of course, a strong positive attitude will also help us to accept the likelihood that we may not be filling football grounds for a good while yet, and that one third capacity might just be for the longer good of football supporters world wide.

If we think positive, we can be positive!  I'm with you, buddy.  Let's do it!

?  

3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Just a wind up

Not judging by some comments I’ve read ? we’re all doooooommmmmed ......

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Intu is so quiet in Derby. I was Timpsons second customer at 11am!!

This mask thing will kill our high street.

and yet here in Spain it is 95% compliance.  The shops bars and restaurants are open and the high street looks pretty healthy.  Here  if you don't wear a mask people see you as anti social and badly brought up, having no respect for the person next to you.  Still the case today when the temperature is 32c   

The internet has dragged far more people into the arena of home shopping and in the end that is what  will do for shops that don't deliver on price, service or quality

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

and yet here in Spain it is 95% compliance.  The shops bars and restaurants are open and the high street looks pretty healthy.  Here  if you don't wear a mask people see you as anti social and badly brought up, having no respect for the person next to you.  Still the case today when the temperature is 32c   

The internet has dragged far more people into the arena of home shopping and in the end that is what  will do for shops that don't deliver on price, service or quality

It wasn’t around the issue of non compliance - 98% were wearing a mask in town. It’s just the footfall has been substantially reduced as people just don’t enjoy it.

I didn’t enjoy it - I’ve tried the cheap masks, folded them and bought two others whilst in town. Hated wearing them, was often readjusting them (which means touching them), bought it down when I had a drink, and the breathing made it hot to wear them.

Basically - not a great experience. I had to go into town to go to the Derby branch of Timpsons, otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered.

The underground Intu car park was half full at 10.30am on a Saturday morning - that tells you everything you need to know.

Basically - I give it one week before the major shops release statement about reduced income, sales down by 20-40% from last week and want the rule reversed.  Plus multiple companies will put employees back on furlough. The guy in Timpsons said last week was an excellent week for them for sales/customers.

Ive defended the Government throughout Corona but this decision they have got Badly wrong.

26 minutes ago, rammieib said:

It wasn’t around the issue of non compliance - 98% were wearing a mask in town. It’s just the footfall has been substantially reduced as people just don’t enjoy it.

I didn’t enjoy it - I’ve tried the cheap masks, folded them and bought two others whilst in town. Hated wearing them, was often readjusting them (which means touching them), bought it down when I had a drink, and the breathing made it hot to wear them.

Basically - not a great experience. I had to go into town to go to the Derby branch of Timpsons, otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered.

The underground Intu car park was half full at 10.30am on a Saturday morning - that tells you everything you need to know.

Basically - I give it one week before the major shops release statement about reduced income, sales down by 20-40% from last week and want the rule reversed.  Plus multiple companies will put employees back on furlough. The guy in Timpsons said last week was an excellent week for them for sales/customers.

Ive defended the Government throughout Corona but this decision they have got Badly wrong.

Don't forget, it's only day one of wearing face coverings being mandatory. 

My guess is it will certainly discourage some people from shopping so often but most folk will grudgingly get used to the idea. It's also still early days in terms of virus and I would imagine there are many that would still be anxious about shopping in town/city centres because of the increased crowds even if face coverings weren't compulsory.

In terms of whether the government has got this badly wrong, well so have many other countries.

I've no doubt there are people out there who will have a genuine problem wearing face coverings, whether that's a physical condition or anxiety issues but, my view is: they're not very comfortable and don't do much to enhance the already dubious pleasure of shopping but we just need to get on with it.

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

Intu is so quiet in Derby. I was Timpsons second customer at 11am!!

This mask thing will kill our high street.

The internet and stupid decisions by councils did that already. 

Not aimed at you; but I can't fathom why people who don't have medical problems could possibly object to wearing a mask for the 5 or 10 minutes you are in a shop.

Folk on the frontline had to wear them for 12 hours a day with few breaks in hotter weather so I think people should be able to deal with wearing one for a fraction of that time if they must satisfy their urge to buy stuff.

BREAKING:

Holiday chaos as UK tourists in Spain will have to quarantine for two weeks due to Covid outbreak.

Tourists in Spain are facing a race against time to fly back home to avoid the mandatory two-week quarantine that will come into effect at midnight tonight. 

The quarantine will affect everyone who has gone on holiday to the Mediterranean country in the last week.

Those people who are waiting to go on booked holidays will also have to cancel their travel plans as Spain is hit by another outbreak. 

There are also fears that France could be the next country hit by a second wave of the virus.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8559969/Holiday-chaos-UK-tourists-Spain-quarantine-two-weeks-Covid-outbreak.html

42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Has this been confirmed?

I've not had a thorough search, and not found a government/official announcement, but it's been reported in numerous other press/media.

Sky has...

People arriving back from Spain, the Canary Islands and Balearic Islands from midnight face two weeks in isolation upon returning.

and...

A UK government spokesperson said: "Protecting public health is our absolute priority and we have taken this decision to limit any potential spread to the UK.
"We've always been clear that we would act immediately to remove a country where necessary. Both our list of quarantine exemptions and the FCO travel advice are being updated to reflect these latest risk assessments."

So I guess the official dotgov updates are imminent?  

https://news.sky.com/story/english-holidaymakers-in-spain-will-have-to-quarantine-on-return-after-surprise-change-of-policy-12036188

Went back to the gym today,wasn’t going to,enjoyed training at home.

I was very surprised to find the gym basically empty.

My guess is that the gym is not a healthy place in terms of transmission but I think everything that could be reasonably done was.

I can’t see them staying in business unless it picks up quickly,it was nice to go back in though.

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I've not had a thorough search, and not found a government/official announcement, but it's been reported in numerous other press/media.

Sky has...

People arriving back from Spain, the Canary Islands and Balearic Islands from midnight face two weeks in isolation upon returning.

and...

A UK government spokesperson said: "Protecting public health is our absolute priority and we have taken this decision to limit any potential spread to the UK.
"We've always been clear that we would act immediately to remove a country where necessary. Both our list of quarantine exemptions and the FCO travel advice are being updated to reflect these latest risk assessments."

So I guess the official dotgov updates are imminent?  

https://news.sky.com/story/english-holidaymakers-in-spain-will-have-to-quarantine-on-return-after-surprise-change-of-policy-12036188

Is there a big problem in Spain?

I thought they were on top of it,is it the tourists?

Archived