Coronavirus

1of4

11 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Is there a big problem in Spain?

I thought they were on top of it,is it the tourists?

I don't know any valid details, suffice to say, there were reports about a week ago that there was a Spanish camp site (in NE if memory serves?) was locked down with 250 folk inside.  I believe they were all being geared up for testing, but nobody was allowed in or out.  Apparently that followed two people from the site being flagged up as covid-positive.  No idea how that ended... or indeed if they are still locked in there!

Between the two links in my posts above (Mail & Sky), there is also...

The decision - sparked by a surge of cases in the country...

Nightclubs have been closed in Catalonia for two weeks amid fears of spike.

France's prime minister has 'strongly encouraged' people to avoid Catalonia.

On Friday, Spain logged 922 infections, slightly down from 971 the day before, but officials are tracking more than 280 active outbreaks across the country.

The Spanish government has warned it could already be having a "second wave" of the illness, as France, Germany and Belgium all reported steep rises in their number of cases.

Spain joins countries such as the US, Portugal, Sweden, Mexico, Brazil, Russia, Iran, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and China on England's at-risk list, meaning people returning have to quarantine.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Sorry to hear that @Spanish

I meant specifically the line about stopping people travelling out to Spain.

It is the impact of returning to uk and be put in lockdown as most employers may find it difficult to accept it.  Also those about to travel will have no cover for cancellations

25 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Is there a big problem in Spain?

I thought they were on top of it,is it the tourists?

Down here in Cadiz it is hopefully still under control we have relatively few deaths.  Madrid Barca and further north is a different story and it is difficult to explain.  Some say the teenagers are spreading it within families.

5 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

The internet and stupid decisions by councils did that already. 

Not aimed at you; but I can't fathom why people who don't have medical problems could possibly object to wearing a mask for the 5 or 10 minutes you are in a shop.

Folk on the frontline had to wear them for 12 hours a day with few breaks in hotter weather so I think people should be able to deal with wearing one for a fraction of that time if they must satisfy their urge to buy stuff.

Hi Joe - No problem with the question aimed at me although the fact I did, suggests it isnt if you get my drift. My views are as follows though on it:

1) Its not 5-10 minutes, its 1 to 3 hours that you hopefully spend in the Intu.

2) Generally I found it uncomfortable, I bought a couple of masks, didnt like them either. Best I did was a little trick with the standard mask. I found after a while the strap hurt around my ears, if I wore one looser it slipped down when talking or if I moved my nose, so generally a hassle. I was constantly touching it and moving it up/down to drink makes it pointless. I also found them hot and stuffy.

3) Shopping should be an enjoyable time. The mask made it less enjoyable. 

4) Multiple cafes and restaurants in the Intu - everyone sat there drinking and eating without the mask on. Seems to make it pointless to me.

5) A fair few were wearing masks, but not covering their nose!

I also feel we have a responsibility to try and get an economy moving. If they think mask wearing will encourage greater numbers to come out I feel their very wrong. It might make a few more come out but it'll take a lot more away.

If they had bought this in from the beginning of the pandemic, I would be bought into it more, but right now, we have around 5 or so new cases a day from a million people in Derby. It's not pandemic anymore. We can do most other things now normally so I just struggle to understand this.

I would not choose to go shopping now unless I had to.

24 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Hi Joe - No problem with the question aimed at me although the fact I did, suggests it isnt if you get my drift. My views are as follows though on it:

1) Its not 5-10 minutes, its 1 to 3 hours that you hopefully spend in the Intu.

2) Generally I found it uncomfortable, I bought a couple of masks, didnt like them either. Best I did was a little trick with the standard mask. I found after a while the strap hurt around my ears, if I wore one looser it slipped down when talking or if I moved my nose, so generally a hassle. I was constantly touching it and moving it up/down to drink makes it pointless. I also found them hot and stuffy.

3) Shopping should be an enjoyable time. The mask made it less enjoyable. 

4) Multiple cafes and restaurants in the Intu - everyone sat there drinking and eating without the mask on. Seems to make it pointless to me.

5) A fair few were wearing masks, but not covering their nose!

I also feel we have a responsibility to try and get an economy moving. If they think mask wearing will encourage greater numbers to come out I feel their very wrong. It might make a few more come out but it'll take a lot more away.

If they had bought this in from the beginning of the pandemic, I would be bought into it more, but right now, we have around 5 or so new cases a day from a million people in Derby. It's not pandemic anymore. We can do most other things now normally so I just struggle to understand this.

I would not choose to go shopping now unless I had to.

But Johnson stated that the government didn't know what they were doing at the start of the crisis but have learnt a lot about the virus in the ensuing months. 

So if the government now consider it to be prudent to wear a mask when we go shopping. Shouldn't we all as responsible adults, follow their orders?

16 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Good posts.  We just need to be stronger.  The mind is a powerful tool.
If we think we can beat this virus, we will.

And perhaps in the meantime, we can also use this same powerful tool to convince ourselves that we can actually breath through 0.3mm of cotton fabric, and that face masks aren't out to suffocate us all, as we all try to get back to doing the things we used to do.
And of course, a strong positive attitude will also help us to accept the likelihood that we may not be filling football grounds for a good while yet, and that one third capacity might just be for the longer good of football supporters world wide.

If we think positive, we can be positive!  I'm with you, buddy.  Let's do it!

?  

People with autism dont have wear a mask if dont want to as we are excempted from it but wear my facizer I met another with autism he dont like a masks he asked my mum said home bargins only 1.99.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

We can do most other things now normally so I just struggle to understand this.

I think it's the tradeoff to allow gyms and other high risk businesses to reopen. We know that will push transmission rate up, but we may be able to balance it by lowering transmission rate in shops and getting the economy moving. 

Sith Happens

Not sure if this is one for here or the 2020 holiday thread, but has the overnight announcement about Spain made anyone reconisder travel elsewhere?

When the restrictions were lifted on some countries it was specified that they could be re-implemented swiftly if it was felt they needed to be.

We are currently due to go to France at the end of August, driving there and on the tunnel.

I see France is a country where the infection rate and numbers seems to be increasing again, amongst other countries.

If we had to self isolate we would manage as I have been WFH all along and my wife can WFH although not as easily as me.

Many who travel cant though, I guess the risk having to self isolate is loss of earnings, which most people can ill afford.

The change has made me less optimistic about being able to travel i must admit.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Not sure if this is one for here or the 2020 holiday thread, but has the overnight announcement about Spain made anyone reconisder travel elsewhere?

When the restrictions were lifted on some countries it was specified that they could be re-implemented swiftly if it was felt they needed to be.

We are currently due to go to France at the end of August, driving there and on the tunnel.

I see France is a country where the infection rate and numbers seems to be increasing again, amongst other countries.

If we had to self isolate we would manage as I have been WFH all along and my wife can WFH although not as easily as me.

Many who travel cant though, I guess the risk having to self isolate is loss of earnings, which most people can ill afford.

The change has made me less optimistic about being able to travel i must admit.

We were only 99% sure that we wouldn't go (Camping in France... via Tunnel... Mid September).  Now we're 100% certain.

It's not the quarantining on our return, per sé, (Although that now becomes a strong consideration, after last nights news) but more the risk of being stranded over there, unable to get back easily, (if border restrictions come back into play) or worse, having to rely on medical assistance whilst not being anywhere near fluent in the local language.  We have experience of the latter, in both France and Spain, and it is not a pleasant experience, when added to the stress already associated with being ill.  Being polite in a patisserie doesn't compare to understanding a French doctor issuing medicines etc!  ?

Luckily, the bonus of camping over there means that no pre-booking/pre-paying is involved, other than the tunnel, so at least we have no financial issues on this score.  (We have a voucher for Eurotunnel from our cancelled crossing in June, but nothing booked for September).

There may even be the small matter of getting certain clarifications from insurers too, of course.  Being covered for Covid-cancellations is not the same as being covered for Covid-medical assistance.  Or vice-versa.  Just a basic "Yes you are covered" needs a little more clarification, for full peace of mind!

There's plenty moaning this morning, after last nights news re Spain, but if they can't see that they have taken a gamble, and lost, then I have no sympathy for them.  I appreciate not all are holidaymakers, and for some, there is some sympathy, but not those who just decided to swan off on their hols to Spain.  There was always a risk that quarantine rules may be introduced at short notice, and if they weren't aware, then more fool them.
Just hope employers stay strict, and don't allow those returning from Spain to sneak in to work when they get back, regardless of how inconvenient and/or costly that may be!  Dock 'em a fortnights wages, and tell them to stay at home!   

France... Holland... Belgium... Spain... It's a no for us, for the foreseeable.  As much as that pains me to even think about, let alone write it!  Just not worth the risk, for us!

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

We were only 99% sure that we wouldn't go (Camping in France... via Tunnel... Mid September).  Now we're 100% certain.

It's not the quarantining on our return, per sé, (Although that now becomes a strong consideration, after last nights news) but more the risk of being stranded over there, unable to get back easily, (if border restrictions come back into play) or worse, having to rely on medical assistance whilst not being anywhere near fluent in the local language.  We have experience of the latter, in both France and Spain, and it is not a pleasant experience, when added to the stress already associated with being ill.  Being polite in a patisserie doesn't compare to understanding a French doctor issuing medicines etc!  ?

Luckily, the bonus of camping over there means that no pre-booking/pre-paying is involved, other than the tunnel, so at least we have no financial issues on this score.  (We have a voucher for Eurotunnel from our cancelled crossing in June, but nothing booked for September).

There may even be the small matter of getting certain clarifications from insurers too, of course.  Being covered for Covid-cancellations is not the same as being covered for Covid-medical assistance.  Or vice-versa.  Just a basic "Yes you are covered" needs a little more clarification, for full peace of mind!

There's plenty moaning this morning, after last nights news re Spain, but if they can't see that they have taken a gamble, and lost, then I have no sympathy for them.  I appreciate not all are holidaymakers, and for some, there is some sympathy, but not those who just decided to swan off on their hols to Spain.  There was always a risk that quarantine rules may be introduced at short notice, and if they weren't aware, then more fool them.
Just hope employers stay strict, and don't allow those returning from Spain to sneak in to work when they get back, regardless of how inconvenient and/or costly that may be!  Dock 'em a fortnights wages, and tell them to stay at home!   

France... Holland... Belgium... Spain... It's a no for us, for the foreseeable.  As much as that pains me to even think about, let alone write it!  Just not worth the risk, for us!

I was In the uk last week for a few days to see my ill mum.  Came back last Saturday from EMA.  Lots of people with masks around their chins necking double vodkas.  The whole approach of some is to ignore any risk and look for loopholes in guidance rather than working with the spirit of the rules.  I think you are right to give it more time, governments are generally making decisions based on votes and will continue to create policy on the hoof.  No one can be certain how this will play out.

14 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yep, no sympathy for Roos, Bogle or Jayden Mitchell-Lawson, all of whom are in Spanish territory as we speak! 

Pre-season might be looking a bit thin.

Thank goodness the rat-pack appear to have gone to a Greek island. 

I've never had a passport, thought about getting one when my youngest got married in Greece 18 months ago, never happened, due mainly to my missus' fear of flying. We are booked for a couple of holidays in Norfolk next month and in October, these may or may not happen, but at least we won't have the worry of being abroad, stranded possibly, no, can't see us ever leaving the UK, ever. 

Sith Happens
19 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Its a tough one. We have a farmhouse booked and I am as confident as can be that we can enjoy a stay there in the loire hardly seeing another person.

They have said we can cancel, and as per you we know we can get a voucher for the tunnel even if its just a flying visit to brugge for the weekend or something next year.

There is moaning, but it was made clear that if needed they would re-introduce measures without hesitation as they have. Its funny, people complain because not enough notice is given, but then also complain when too much notice is given (for example the face masks in shops).

I do wonder if the lack of notice is designed to stop people flocking to the airports to get back and to just continue with their holiday, afterall if you have to self isolate you might aswell do it in 2 weeks rather than 2 days time i guess.

I also am not too worried about getting back though, eurotunnel has never stopped running throughout the crisis so I really dont see this being an issue.

I am probably in that fortunate category that self isolating doesnt impact my life in the way it does for most.

We were due to stop over on the way back from the loire in amiens and get an early tunnel the next day but we have knocked that on the head and changed the tunnel so we can go straight from the loire to home....

Guess the next few weeks will guide us in our decision making.

Been round London on the tubes and buses last few days for the first time in months. Almost everyone wearing masks and a lot of people wearing masks just walking. 

Seen people being turned away from shops for not wearing and pubs seem to be table service with most people outside (some are even closed inside). 

Feels pretty safe, a bit annoying but 'worth' it. 

Seen videos however of people in  italy and it looks a different story. Outside festivals, packed bars and restaurants etc. Perhaps we are being relatively sensible after all? 

23 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yep, no sympathy for Roos, Bogle or Jayden Mitchell-Lawson, all of whom are in Spanish territory as we speak! 

Pre-season might be looking a bit thin.

Thank goodness the rat-pack appear to have gone to a Greek island. 

Who? Are you following this lot on Instagram @angieram?

Archived