Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 minutes ago, angieram said:

Cheers for that. I always clap all the players off the pitch, so was there until Rooney and Holmes went down the tunnel.

Another thing about Martin, I watch him lining up with the mascots for photos after the warm-up. Some players huddle together with several kids and get it done as quickly as possible.  Martin has an individual photo with each one, often with a brief chat. It's good to see. 

As for that management malarkey, I have seen what it's done to Cocu already and I want to keep my youthful looks! ??

. . . 

?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Oh dear.

Did you watch the game via braille or did the lab provide the commentary?

Ask him why he thought that, what evidence he can point to.

You're better than cheap insults, Kash.

1 hour ago, dabber said:

Tin hat on but I thought he was chuntering away to himself because he knew (apart from the goal) that he had struggled and had a poor game

Whilst there a few instances when he should have done better in finding  a teammate with a pass, there was plenty of good stuff. When the full match is available, watch the minutes before our 3rd goal, there were some moves with glorious passing interplay with CM instrumental. The type of play we have seen too rarely this season.

We have scored too few goals this season and Martin delivers better than anyone. Waghorn had a great game and playing wide helped I think. I don't think he could have done as well with  Holme's pass for the second goal. As Ellafella has pointed out, Martins touch with his right  foot before powering it home with his left was sublime, ensuring the ball didn't end up blasting over the bar.

Great to see such richly deserved praise (at last) for Chris Martin from so many in this thread ..

Myself and the other half a dozen regulars who have consistently appreciated his skills and value to the team have ‘kept his flag flying’ in the face of a stream of criticism from those who can only appreciate the ‘pointless runners and workhorses’ preferred by Rowett and Lampard during the periods when they mindlessly sent him out on loan .. 

34 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

Great to see such richly deserved praise (at last) for Chris Martin from so many in this thread ..

Myself and the other half a dozen regulars who have consistently appreciated his skills and value to the team have ‘kept his flag flying’ in the face of a stream of criticism from those who can only appreciate the ‘pointless runners and workhorses’ preferred by Rowett and Lampard during the periods when they mindlessly sent him out on loan .. 

Who were the pointless runners and workhorses under Lampard?

The Rooney influence from midfield is having a massive influence on team morale.

His inch perfect distribution means that players know that the ball will be there if they are in the right position.

This was obvious in the Stoke match. Every player showed inventiveness and Chris Martin was his old, free flowing self, drawing defenders out of position leaving gaps for himself and others to exploit.

There may not be an I in team, but I'm glad we've got a CM*

Chris Martin and/or Central Midfielder.

For me we are definitely better with Chris Martin than without, 100% want him to stay, I dont see age impacting him the same way as some players, he reads the game so well, and never has had the lightning pace some do.

I know he is only second highest goal scorer but pretty sure if you did it over number of minutes on the pitch he would be highest.

10 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Seeing as Cocu has shown more faith in him than any Derby manager in the last 4 years, I think your prayers have been answered.

Well apart from cup matches, Friday evening was the only recent start for Martin. So Cocu has a little way to go before he sees Martin as a regular starter

11 hours ago, S8TY said:

I watched the game again today and the only slight blemish on his performance yesterday was his reaction to being taken off...didn’t really notice watching it live but on the tv he clearly wasn’t happy ...cheer up Chrissy Cocu has played you while some others haven’t ....eg Frank 

I don't know about you, but I love to see players skipping off with a big grin on their face when being substituted, it shows that they really care.

10 hours ago, dabber said:

Tin hat on but I thought he was chuntering away to himself because he knew (apart from the goal) that he had struggled and had a poor game

I’ve only seen the highlights so I could only comment on his goal which was good.

But the chuntering is a big part of him along with the arm waving,I’ve no idea what it’s all about really.

We’ve been pitchside at games and heard him grumbling away to himself or shouting at the pitch,even growling?.

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

Well apart from cup matches, Friday evening was the only recent start for Martin. So Cocu has a little way to go before he sees Martin as a regular starter

Which is bewildering a little bit isn’t it 

Martin and Marriott started vs Middlesbrough - we play well and Lawrence benefits with goal 

Martin starts vs Preston - we play very well and waghorn gets a goal coming on as a sub on the right hand side

martin starts vs Crystal Palace - we win play well and he scores 

Martin and Marriott start vs Northampton - we draw and the ball never touched the floor ( we needed his defensive heading)

Martin starts vs Stoke - he scores we play our best game against a team in form and even Lawrence looked decent and waghorn scores again from the right hand side

for sure other players contribute to him doing well but he contributes to the team doing well  

Archived