Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, angieram said:

Every time I applaud him onto or off the pitch I get a little thrill, as I thought I would never see Chris Martin in a Derby shirt again.

It's like every appearance this season is a chance to appreciate and say thank you for the talents of a man who has been brilliant for Derby. I am never quite sure which game might be his last.

I also think even some of the more vociferous Martin doubters are now seeing what he brings to the game.

Cocu seems to be managing his game time better, too. Chris didn't look any too happy to be subbed off last night but it was absolutely the right thing to do at that stage of the game when we needed a willing runner on the counter-attack.

Get him on the pitch from the off, get the goals and then let someone else's younger legs see it out. 

Whether he goes or stays at the end of the season (and I would definitely keep him) he will be back at some stage as our Manager. I hope that I am still around to see it.

Jesus @angieram you so talk so much sense. Have you ever considered a careeer in football mangagement? 

9 hours ago, angieram said:

Every time I applaud him onto or off the pitch I get a little thrill, as I thought I would never see Chris Martin in a Derby shirt again.

It's like every appearance this season is a chance to appreciate and say thank you for the talents of a man who has been brilliant for Derby. I am never quite sure which game might be his last.

I also think even some of the more vociferous Martin doubters are now seeing what he brings to the game.

Cocu seems to be managing his game time better, too. Chris didn't look any too happy to be subbed off last night but it was absolutely the right thing to do at that stage of the game when we needed a willing runner on the counter-attack.

Get him on the pitch from the off, get the goals and then let someone else's younger legs see it out. 

Whether he goes or stays at the end of the season (and I would definitely keep him) he will be back at some stage as our Manager. I hope that I am still around to see it.

. . . The other thing @angieram I don’t know if you stayed after the final whistle but CM came out and went to all four corners and applauded the Derby fans who stayed a while. For me Derby County means Goodall, Bloomer, Stamps, Currie, Hector, George, Lee, Saunders, and Martin. The boy is right up there. Check out his right-foot control of the ball from the yank last night before he speared it into the roof of Buckland’s net. . . subliminal, instinctive skill. I hope & pray that somebody amongst Cocu’s clan can see what I see. 

20 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

. . . The other thing @angieram I don’t know if you stayed after the final whistle but CM came out and went to all four corners and applauded the Derby fans who stayed a while. For me Derby County means Goodall, Bloomer, Stamps, Currie, Hector, George, Lee, Saunders, and Martin. The boy is right up there. Check out his right-foot control of the ball from the yank last night before he speared it into the roof of Buckland’s net. . . subliminal, instinctive skill. I hope & pray that somebody amongst Cocu’s clan can see what I see. 

I called that last night (the way he switched it from right to left then bang). Absolute class. Best centre forward we’ve had in the past 20 years.

As for should he stay. Wherever he ends up, he has to be the main man. He needs a coach to play to his strengths. Lampard likes strikers who are mobile and can press, hence his treatment of Martin last season and Giroud this season (Giroud who was an integral part of a World Cup winning side).

Cocu likes a target man, if he’s prepared to build a team around Chrissy, I think we could have the Chrissy of 2013-2015 again. If he’s going to be a squad option, he should move on.

I think Martin will have another 20+ goal championship season before he’s finished in football.

49 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Seeing as Cocu has shown more faith in him than any Derby manager in the last 4 years, I think your prayers have been answered.

53 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Cheers for that. I always clap all the players off the pitch, so was there until Rooney and Holmes went down the tunnel.

Another thing about Martin, I watch him lining up with the mascots for photos after the warm-up. Some players huddle together with several kids and get it done as quickly as possible.  Martin has an individual photo with each one, often with a brief chat. It's good to see. 

As for that management malarkey, I have seen what it's done to Cocu already and I want to keep my youthful looks! ??

I watched the game again today and the only slight blemish on his performance yesterday was his reaction to being taken off...didn’t really notice watching it live but on the tv he clearly wasn’t happy ...cheer up Chrissy Cocu has played you while some others haven’t ....eg Frank 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Cheers for that. I always clap all the players off the pitch, so was there until Rooney and Holmes went down the tunnel.

Another thing about Martin, I watch him lining up with the mascots for photos after the warm-up. Some players huddle together with several kids and get it done as quickly as possible.  Martin has an individual photo with each one, often with a brief chat. It's good to see. 

As for that management malarkey, I have seen what it's done to Cocu already and I want to keep my youthful looks! ??

He's managed elsewhere before, but it's taken a few months at DCFC to carve the 'laughter lines' into his handsome visage ?

11 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I watched the game again today and the only slight blemish on his performance yesterday was his reaction to being taken off...didn’t really notice watching it live but on the tv he clearly wasn’t happy ...cheer up Chrissy Cocu has played you while some others haven’t ....eg Frank 

I see it as a positive really. Suggests he wants to play the full game and takes exception to being hauled off. 

14 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Don't worry about it, our Chrissy is always miserable, it's part of his charm.

12 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Not sure what nonsense this is...any fiercely competitive sportsman wants to be out there competing until the final whistle blows and will resent it being otherwise.

If be more concerned if he was content with being substituted......If there is one thing I want in a Derby player it's passion for the game and the club.

43 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Tin hat on but I thought he was chuntering away to himself because he knew (apart from the goal) that he had struggled and had a poor game

Archived