Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

One thing I like about Cocu is that he says what he sees and then selects players accordingly 

we all know Martin is not perfect but he is still one of the best bits of business we have done in a long while and if he was on loan to us we would be wanting to him sign up wouldn’t we? 

Yeah there’s no one really knocking on the door behind Waghorn, Lawrence, Marriott and Martin. Plus it’s quite obvious they all like playing together to me so there’s no need to upset that I don’t think.

One of the smartest moves Cocu played was giving every player a clean slate at the start of the season, which Rowett and Lampard didn’t really do. No player can say they haven’t been given a chance and they’ve sank or swam on their own attitudes as much as anything. The likes of Shinnie and Martin have excelled with also Davies deserving played (Shinnie and Davies especially as you wouldn’t say they are Cocu types on paper). It’s good management and you wouldn’t really begrudge anybody out of contract this summer to get a new deal.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/02/2020 at 07:40, Ram8 said:

Who were the pointless runners and workhorses under Lampard? (Said G Star Ram) 
Nugent and Waghorn 

We were a pressing team last season and Nugent was definitely our best forward for this.

Waghorn scored 13 goals last season, so he wasnt that pointless.

8 hours ago, rynny said:

3 goals in his last 3 league games, 4 goals in the last 7. Got to be worth a new deal. 

Yep - Get that contract on the table

I will quit my new job and dedicate my life to persuading Chrissy to stay as long as we put a decent offer on the table for him

I love the fact that we finally have a manager who seems to be able to both get the best from Martin AND play a style of football which means we don't fall apart without him

I've been fairly vocal in my love for Martin over the years but there is no doubt that he's an important part of this squad and will be extremely difficult to replace - I reckon we'd have to spend at least £5m to get anyone close to his quality

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

We were a pressing team last season and Nugent was definitely our best forward for this.

Waghorn scored 13 goals last season, so he wasnt that pointless.

And Nugent's tally was   ?   He ran everywhere , wasn't useless in pressing but was long past his sell by date. When he had clear chances  he messed up. You can't carry a forward who doesn't score.

7 minutes ago, DRBee said:

And Nugent's tally was   ?   He ran everywhere , wasn't useless in pressing but was long past his sell by date. When he had clear chances  he messed up. You can't carry a forward who doesn't score.

Dont recall his tally but think it was poor.

Likewise you cant carry forwards that dont press in a pressing team.

46 minutes ago, Finch said:

He'll be sacrificed to Mel's financial mismanagement.

I fear you maybe right.  Didn't the rumours around the time Schteve gave him his new contract whilst at Fulham say his wages were around £30k a week??  Take away that, Huddlestone's & Thornes wages and you're looking at a hell of a saving over the season.  Unless he agrees to be payed at least 2/3s less, he'll be let go.  

But in the meantime I hope he can make it to at least 80 goals for us...

6 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I fear you maybe right.  Didn't the rumours around the time Schteve gave him his new contract whilst at Fulham say his wages were around £30k a week??  Take away that, Huddlestone's & Thornes wages and you're looking at a hell of a saving over the season.  Unless he agrees to be payed at least 2/3s less, he'll be let go.  

But in the meantime I hope he can make it to at least 80 goals for us...

He's not going to get that anywhere else though.  It will come down to length of contract, if anything.  I suspect he'll be offered one-year deal here, on lower wages, with maybe an option for another.  If he thinks he can get a similar wage to what we offer for a 3 year deal elsewhere, he may well go.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Apart from his goal last night he was pretty average.

We showed literally zero threat in the first half.

I much prefer waggy up top, If only Martin could play just behind him.

You were watching? I only had a poor trickle to see. He (at least) set up Holmes in the 1st half and was winning freekicks from getting clattered. The fullbacks and midfield did little to get the ball into the box for Martin or Waghorn. Waghorn up top would have won nothing in the air (Martin also defended corners well - so how bad was our defence!?)

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Couldn't disagree more with your last sentence.

Our worst performances this season have been with Waghorn up top on his own due to his poor ball control and inability to bring other players into the game.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

It was a tricky game for a lone striker - Two big lads to have to deal with - However his hold up play was good, he played brilliantly back to goal making a lot of short, simple, quick passes with the midfield to keep the ball moving - The number of occasions the ball came into him, he played a pass which created space for another pass or ball out to the wings - It was a very solid performance in a difficult situation 

And then he bagged a goal - And dragged both CBs out of position for the first too

And Waggers has shown (for me) on numerous occasions that he's better on the side of a front 3 - He's great running with the ball and provides more threat in that position - I especially think since Cocu seems to want the outside forwards to tuck inside more that really plays to Waggers strength 

I am starting to expect Martin and Forsyth (with I guess Malone being shipped out in summer) to get new contracts. It kinda makes sense with having Martin, Waghorn and Marriott as the three strikers with Whittaker behind them. I think without Martin we’d be looking at a major summer signing up front surely?

4 hours ago, Squid said:

Average is about fair - he did win half of the defensive headers we made - both himself and waghorn scored when we started actually crossing the ball ( in the first half we didn’t do it) and most of martins goals tend to come from crosses or have I missed things over the years, whilst also passing midfielders in on goal and simply being the main victim in the refs decision to not give us any decisions yesterday.

as a side note if you look around people like Hugill currently on loan at QPR cost West Ham £10 million and isn’t half the player Martin is so please compare?

we should replace Martin when we can get someone better - after Blackman Marriott Waghorn Nugent I don’t think for one minute we are going to get anyone better especially within our price range. 

Hugill is a strange one - possibly one of the worst signings made by West Ham in recent years. 

167 games in the Championship, 38 goals and 6 assists.

Martin's record: 

339 games in the Championship, 91 goals and 42 assists. 

It's incomparable. No idea why West Ham threw so much money at it. 

Archived