Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Which is bewildering a little bit isn’t it 

Martin and Marriott started vs Middlesbrough - we play well and Lawrence benefits with goal 

Martin starts vs Preston - we play very well and waghorn gets a goal coming on as a sub on the right hand side

martin starts vs Crystal Palace - we win play well and he scores 

Martin and Marriott start vs Northampton - we draw and the ball never touched the floor ( we needed his defensive heading)

Martin starts vs Stoke - he scores we play our best game against a team in form and even Lawrence looked decent and waghorn scores again from the right hand side

for sure other players contribute to him doing well but he contributes to the team doing well  

We simply don't know how fit Martin is. He was starting to fade against Stoke, so a well timed sub. Even if he can only do a hour, I would start him as he gives us a way of controlling the game. But I am not sure Cocu wants to be in a position where we only play well if Martin plays or become reliant on someone whose fitness you maybe can't rely on.

I would offer him a new deal. Even if you only get a cameo of vintage Martin, it can be a match winner. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Which is bewildering a little bit isn’t it 

Martin and Marriott started vs Middlesbrough - we play well and Lawrence benefits with goal 

Martin starts vs Preston - we play very well and waghorn gets a goal coming on as a sub on the right hand side

martin starts vs Crystal Palace - we win play well and he scores 

Martin and Marriott start vs Northampton - we draw and the ball never touched the floor ( we needed his defensive heading)

Martin starts vs Stoke - he scores we play our best game against a team in form and even Lawrence looked decent and waghorn scores again from the right hand side

for sure other players contribute to him doing well but he contributes to the team doing well  

Well put @Sparkle.

What we get with our Super Chrisy Martin, is quality, class, passion, belief and a winning mentality, he wants to score, he wants to win and he does get annoyed with others that don't read the game as well as he does or make the pass that would see CM score more goals and would see Derby achieving better results, and I love the fact he cares and shows his emotions.

Most of us appreciate Wayne Rooney coming into the team and screaming at other players, pointing, leading, dictating, winning fouls, reading the game and making our team more organised, harder to beat etc, but when Chris Martin does the same type of things he gets called a whinger, a moaner, a wardrobe etc.

Anyway I love Chris Martin, Wayne Rooney and Derby County Football Club.

Gordon Strachan could see and understand his qualities, and I love CM's Scottish accent, it's a bit like mine!

Go on Anya......give your fellow Scot a cuddle, and Gordon, don't fall down them steps!

It’s great.

when you see all the dogs and cats called Hector in the pets thread, it makes you realise that the next generation will be naming their pets Wardrobe and Wazza.  

17 hours ago, Premier ram said:

like i said in the matchday thread , start Martin and build the team around him , good performance Chris , i was in line with your shot for the goal , the power you put into that was frightening , would have took Butlands head off

Martin has been a great signing for us and hopefully will remain for at least another season but to build a team around any single player is a huge mistake. If Cocu wants to play a system with a hold-up striker then by all means keep Martin but it would be absolutely essential in the Summer to bring in a similar type of player, preferably with a bit more pace. Might cost a few bob though.

Before the season started I was having a drink in David Lloyds with my wife when who should come and sit next to us was CM and family. Not to put to finer point on it I thought he had been over doing it in the gym or he was ill,he had lost so much weight. A while later it was disclosed he was suffering a medical condition that I believe to be the same as my wife and son suffer from.30 years ago they both had major surgery.Fortunately they both lead normal lives thanks to that surgery.sufferers of this condition spend a lot of their day on the loo,extreme weight loss and tiredness.So I am not surprised when CM comes off looking knackered. But my lad says he doesn't know how he plays as much as he does.I have much respect for CM since learning of his situation but know he will not be able to play week in week out.

15 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Not sure what nonsense this is...any fiercely competitive sportsman wants to be out there competing until the final whistle blows and will resent it being otherwise.

If be more concerned if he was content with being substituted......If there is one thing I want in a Derby player it's passion for the game and the club.

What’s nonsense about it ...it happened......a player of his experience I would expect to not show his frustration ...it could be misinterpreted as him thinking Cocu doesn’t know what he’s doing ...he does...and it was the right decision ..no one is expected to like being taken off but Cocus had a bit of flack so if we are winning comfortably don’t show discontent coming off and cut the manager who’s brought you back from the cold a bit of slack ...don’t sulk or moan about it ...we were winning comfortably 

To sign a new contract or not to, that's the question. And a tough one as there is multiple ways to handle this.

At the moment, as we don't create much from the wings, IMO Martin is our best option upfront. Waghorn definitely plays better with him and even Lawrence was decent in the last game. But there also lies the problem.

If we think how Cocu's PSV created chances, the wide players were having a crucial role. If we are going to get such players in (and no, Lawrence and Waghorn are not up to it), then we should have a striker fitting to their style. But if are stuck with Lawrence and Waggy on the wings, we should try to sign another contract with Martin and try to sell Marriott instead.

Another view  to this is a numbers game, which management ultimately is. Then our striker options Martin, Marriott and Waghorn (maybe Whittaker as well), is simply not enough. Martin is half fit, Marriott barely even that and Waghorn is not natural striker as he needs some room where to run to. As such, letting him go with heavy heart would be undestandably. This would be my choice, there is not much room for emotions in management decision-making.

Ps. Rooney is not included, he fits so well to next to Bird. Maybe he might play as a striker as well after Bielik is back.

I don't mind him showing disappointment, frustration, anger etc. Fine by me. 

charlie george would have let you know if he wasn't happy. 

His job is one of the hardest. Leading the line on your own, often with crap service. He wants to play and score goals. I think he fancied getting another. 

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

Haha makes me laugh on here???? ...if anyone dares say anything that’s interpreted as criticism against CM they start throwing there toys out of the pram....

Lost me...I haven't seen any evidence of anyone throwing their toys out the pram in this thread.

35 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Laughable how some people will make an issue out of virtually nothing. Pathetic!

Haha yeah you are pathetic ...so jog on I didn’t make something out of nothing ...if you actually read what was written pal you’d see that ...I said he didn’t need to show his frustration and he didn’t ...even angie said he displayed openly how pissed off he was and most people seem to respect her views  and he did ...believe it or not it’s not all about CM it’s about the team ...try reading my first post ...he had no need to show his displeasure at a manager who’s brought him in from the cold and guess what ?????? It was the correct decision ...trying to have a few beers now mate so enjoy your Sunday ??????

Archived