Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, DRBee said:

And Nugent's tally was   ?   He ran everywhere , wasn't useless in pressing but was long past his sell by date. When he had clear chances  he messed up. You can't carry a forward who doesn't score.

He was 3rd choice CF, used as a late sub more than anything else. His primary role in that team wasn't to score, but to press. Given how many minutes he played, he should have got 4 goals. Those 2 goals lacking from his tally didn't really cost us anything.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He was 3rd choice CF, used as a late sub more than anything else. His primary role in that team wasn't to score, but to press. Given how many minutes he played, he should have got 4 goals. Those 2 goals lacking from his tally didn't really cost us anything.

How on earth can you calculate what playing another player instead would have given  us , its unknowable. Nugent had 11 Championship starts and 20 sub appearances , not sure where the "should have got 4 goals" comes from.

My main memory is of seeing him miss chances and then thinking " he used to score from that position".

29 minutes ago, DRBee said:

My main memory is of seeing him miss chances and then thinking " he used to score from that position".

Mine too, too often as well. Was his primary role as a late sub to press? Anyway I remember thinking a couple of times at least, if only we'd had someone to hold the ball up.

23 minutes ago, DRBee said:

How on earth can you calculate what playing another player instead would have given  us , its unknowable. Nugent had 11 Championship starts and 20 sub appearances , not sure where the "should have got 4 goals" comes from.

Top end forwards in the league have a strike rate of 1 in 200 minutes. Nugent played just under 1200 minutes. As 3rd choice CF, I’d expect him to get 4 goals from that amount of time. (1 every 300 minutes of play)

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Top end forwards in the league have a strike rate of 1 in 200 minutes. Nugent played just under 1200 minutes. As 3rd choice CF, I’d expect him to get 4 goals from that amount of time. (1 every 300 minutes of play)

But that doesn't really take into account the number of chances he had, and statistically how long does a player have to play for the strike rate to 'settle' (don't know stats terms much) to 1 in 200?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But that doesn't really take into account the number of chances he had, and statistically how long does a player have to play for the strike rate to 'settle' (don't know stats terms much) to 1 in 200?

You’re right, which is why Nugent scored fewer than what could be expected from a 3rd choice CF.
A season is likely more than enough. Martin so far is on 1 in 172 and Waghorn is 1 in 215

7 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

What a brilliant graphic, and how sad to see it stall those two seasons he was in the wilderness. 

Thankfully this season has given us a second chance to appreciate Chris Martin's brilliant contribution to Derby County whilst he is still around. 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

What a brilliant graphic, and how sad to see it stall those two seasons he was in the wilderness. 

Thankfully this season has given us a second chance to appreciate Chris Martin's brilliant contribution to Derby County whilst he is still around. 

Unless there is a miracle we arent going up. At this level he is a great player. Really hoping to see him in a Rams shirt next season.

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

That goal at Leeds this season was one of my favourite ever Derby goals.

Saw that graphic the other week, it’s a great representation of what we already all knew - Martin is a true Derby icon for what he has achieved here. As an aside, look at how high up Tom Ince is as well! Incredible given he only played here a couple of seasons and he wasn’t even a striker! Wish we had someone of his quality now.

On 13/02/2020 at 13:56, Ambitious said:

Hugill is a strange one - possibly one of the worst signings made by West Ham in recent years. 

167 games in the Championship, 38 goals and 6 assists.

Martin's record: 

339 games in the Championship, 91 goals and 42 assists. 

It's incomparable. No idea why West Ham threw so much money at it. 

They got a free new ground, they can throw money at anyone ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived