v Stoke (H) - Matchday thread

OohMartWright

12 minutes ago, Sean said:

Bogle's goal was incredible. The feeling around the ground when that went in was amazing, haven't felt a buzz like that at Pride Park in a long time!

You get that from what I’ve seen, great atmosphere.....You’ve had ya big day.... now duck off home sounded brilliant 

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best performance of the season boys , all of the team played so well , no shortage of skill and a desire to work hard and cover for each other, i cant speak highly enough of that performance , step forward Sir Wayne Rooney , the way you played was a masterclass , what an inspiration to any young footballer in the crowd last night

Back to the pacing out of the 'ten yards' debate. With all the controversy over VAR, and thousandth of an inch decisions as to whether your big toe was offside or not, you'd think refs would be advised to accurately measure out ten yards, not guesstimate what, in my opinion, can be plus or minus a couple of yards. The ref on the Screwfix advert uses his tape measure. What's good for goose, etc.

41 minutes ago, mozza said:

Back to the pacing out of the 'ten yards' debate. With all the controversy over VAR, and thousandth of an inch decisions as to whether your big toe was offside or not, you'd think refs would be advised to accurately measure out ten yards, not guesstimate what, in my opinion, can be plus or minus a couple of yards. The ref on the Screwfix advert uses his tape measure. What's good for goose, etc.

What would help refs, would be if all groundsmen, sorry grounds persons, were to cut the grass in 5 yard wide stripes across the pitch and use these lines for reference. ie. If the foul was 1 yard from one line, then the wall should be 1 yard from the 2nd line away. 

Pride Park appears to be mowed with 6 yard stripes in the penalty area and 5 yard stripes outside the area. But you see free kicks given exactly 10 yards outside the box or 2 stripes, but the ref places the wall at about 8 yards. 

Rooney got the full 10 yards last night, result, top corner. 

10 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

My mums side of the family are from Uttoxeter & Rocester. Stoke fans from round there have generally seen us as “rivals” and don’t like us at all. I get plenty of stick at family gatherings ?

Tell em to pop down the Black Swan mate...sheepshag army..?

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Good game except for the cards. He was very inconsistent... Bogle’s and Tymon’s weren’t worthy of yellows. Then when a Derby player was scythed down on the wing (ref played advantage), he should have gone back to book him. Also felt the foul on the edge of the box leading to Rooney’s goal should have been a yellow (possible red if last man but I didn’t have the best view)

Talking of playing advantage..

Saw an interesting decision last week at Garforth town. It's on YouTube and worth watching. GT player hacks oppo down on edge of their box. Oppo break so ref correctly waves play on. In the same passage of play, about 10 seconds, oppo on the edge of GT box and the same player hacks him down (different oppo player, same GT player). Both were bad fowls a few seconds apart. Ref gives a yellow, yellow and then the red. Right decision from ref and never seen that before

Wow!      Absolutely wow!  Sir Alex of Rednose said that Wayne always needs 5 games or so to get up to match speed, so what do you know - after the requisite number of games we get a performance like that!

I met up with my son and daughter and went in more out of a sense of duty, expecting a tough game and maybe a not so welcome score line. But determined to give our support as we go through this difficult time together. And did we come out of the ground completely flummoxed as to what we had just seen. It has to be the most complete performance by the Rams this season, probably for several. Apart from the first ten minutes when Stoke looked lively, there was little or no threat, even when they had a little spell at around 70 minutes when they were moving the ball around well.

And where was Martin Waghorn? He was on the team sheet, but someone else was in his place controlling the ball well, linking up with team mates and pulling off some great passes and crosses! Well done to that man! And despite giving in to his love of blind alleys, Tom Lawrence was much livelier and worked really hard. No-one had a bad game, or made any terrible mistakes, and it is hard to pick players out because the performance levels were so good.

Rooney spent the match pulling the strings - he has been criticised by some, especially non-Rams fans for not actually doing very much. Actually he has set himself to sit deep and keep things simple, using his experience to set things in motion. And in recent matches our interplay has been much improved. But last night he was more than ably helped by Max Bird. I am going to end up raving about this lad because he is so good. HE has only just broken into the first team, and is still in his teens, but he is already of BMW/Mercedes Benz/Audi class. And he is destined to become Lamborghini/Ferrari/Bentley/Rolls Royce class. He always shows for the ball, gives his team mates an option, and is tremendous at being able to find plenty of space, and is already making a great partnership with Rooney, who clearly rates the youngster. On his way to celebrate with Bogle for our 4th goal, he turned and went to hug Max instead, so something good is happening there.

And Duane Holmes - he clearly struggled with the applause for his friend, but was able to pull through it and gave a master class. He has improved his final ball in the last couple of matches, and his ability to intercept or win the ball when he has no right to do so is quite astounding. Add that to his ability to drive forwards and take the defence on, and we have a real jewel there!

The goals were all great, which is a rarity as we score quite a lot of scuffed shots, in-offs and so on. In particular the third. Not so much because of the actual strike, but because Rooney and Waggy worked it so well that Buckland stood in the middle of his goal, not sure if Waggy was going to have a go, even though it was obvious that it was Rooney's free-kick. Brilliant! And that over-the-head flick and pirouette by Holmes before bursting away from the Stoke midfielder to set chrissy up for the second was stunning!

And the ref: one of the best we've had in a long time. I had my doubts at the start - his lino missed the ball going over the line by a yard or more in the first minute, but that was a minor blip. His only fault was that he was inconsistent with dishing out cards - Bogle's yellow was presumably for a professional foul to stop the attack from breaking through the defence, although ti transpires that it wasn't a cynical foul at all. It can't have been for persistent offending, because it was his first. But a nasty clattering of Rooney in the first half should have probably been a red, and he didn't clamp down on Stoke's second half gameplan of crocking both Rooney and Holmes, with yellow cards not given for either. Another one, I can't remember the victim, was left to play the advantage, quite rightly. But afterwards the ref merely said "calm down" to the Stokey thug - should have been another yellow, And the foul on Lawrence leading up to the third goal again should have been a yellow. But given that Lawrence would have burst right through the defence if he wasn't tripped, there should possibly have been another red, but neither card was given. Thankfully Stoke, especially the nasty little scrote Joe Allen didn't take advantage of the leniency.

This was a tremendous performance, with good passing, good tracking back, good pressing, good movement and clinical finishing, and towards the end great game management without going boring.

Well done you Rams. And Cocu: no tinkering - lets give this team a chance to bond and build together.

2 hours ago, mozza said:

That's never gonna happen when refs regularly let players steal a good few yards at most throw ins and virtually any free kicks in a team's own half. Always annoys me, that.

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

That's never gonna happen when refs regularly let players steal a good few yards at most throw ins and virtually any free kicks in a team's own half. Always annoys me, that.

They now draw a line with shaving foam and then allow the players to stand with at least 2/3rds of a foot over it ?

1 hour ago, PhilGeeWasMyIdol said:

Talking of playing advantage..

Saw an interesting decision last week at Garforth town. It's on YouTube and worth watching. GT player hacks oppo down on edge of their box. Oppo break so ref correctly waves play on. In the same passage of play, about 10 seconds, oppo on the edge of GT box and the same player hacks him down (different oppo player, same GT player). Both were bad fowls a few seconds apart. Ref gives a yellow, yellow and then the red. Right decision from ref and never seen that before

This actually happened to Chris Baird on international duty whilst he was a Ram.

5 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I particularly enjoyed the noise of shock that was briefly heard as the ball hit the net. It sounded like a European crowd for half a second.

Well, it was before 11pm, so technically we were still a European crowd!  ?

Archived