v Stoke (H) - Matchday thread

OohMartWright

So, having watched the Luton debacle from an executive box shared with four Luton fans, then come on here to see that no-one has picked up the Matchday Thread baton, I thought I would give it a go. Mods, please bin my post if someone beat me to it and I missed it.

Friday 31 January, tax return deadline day, Brexit Day, Get-the-Rams-back-on-track Day.

7.45 kick-off after enduring the Friday night traffic on the M1.

So give us your thoughts. How badly will we miss Max Lowe? Marriott, Martin, Waghorn? Can we deal with the resurgent Stoke under O'Neill?

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, dcfc4ever said:

Stoke sold out there full allocation,half season ticket holders half general sale.

Been told from Stoke mate the general sale lot will be **** **** ( his words ) and he feels sorry for Derby city centre Friday night

I feel sorry for Stoke fans going into Derby city centre on a Friday night 

Stoke are one of those teams where you really don’t know what to expect. They’ve obviously got a very talented squad, And have picked up the odd good result under their new manager. But they’re still where they are for a reason, and on an off day they’re clearly more than beatable. It’s a home game so we should really be hoping to get the three points here, however they come. Want to see us come out fired up after last nights debacle, and get right at the Stoke defence from minute one. Just go out, and play our game, and hopefully we’ll see some nice possession based passing out the back, but with some threat as well for a change. Will imagine Stoke will come and try and poo house us, so we’ll want to be ready for an aerial battle at the back. Goes without saying we need to deal with balls into the box much better than last night, and try to stop them at source as well with some better defending from fullbacks, as well as support from the widemen tracking back. Have to close down more in our own half as well, we’ve conceded too many goals from range this season for my liking, we stand off and sit back far too much. Need to defend with much more aggression. 

My team, with a number of changes clearly due to the quick tour around from Tuesday night:

Roos

Bogle Davies Clarke Forsyth

Bird

Whittaker Holmes Rooney Lawrence 

Martin

Maintain that Hamers slow distribution is hurting our play out the back, so Roos returns. Bogles mistake was unacceptable, but he manages to just hold onto his place by virtue of his excellent assist- we need better from him in defence though. Wisdom is too much of an aerial weakness at CB, so Davies returns. Forsyth obviously in for the suspended Lowe, his stupidity will probably leave us with Scott Malone but I remain hopeful Forsyth May play his natural role. I expect a much improved performance from Holmes too, he was far too wasteful the other night, but he’s still one of our best players so he keeps his place next to Rooney who hopefully will continue his improvement. Knight looked a bit shattered the other night, so I think resting him for Whittaker would be a wise move, and add some width to the team. I’d have dropped Lawrence as well after yet another wasteful game, but we have no real options sadly, so he’s lucky to keep his place. Martin in for Waghorn is a no brainer for me, the latters touch is too poor to play as a lone striker - Martin is much more suitable and made an instant impact last night.

2 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Don’t think it’s any coincidence you didn’t say this before the Luton game and we lost.

A terrible oversight on my part and I apologise. Rest assured we will get at least a point on Friday then!

30 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Stoke are one of those teams where you really don’t know what to expect. They’ve obviously got a very talented squad, And have picked up the odd good result under their new manager. But they’re still where they are for a reason, and on an off day they’re clearly more than beatable. It’s a home game so we should really be hoping to get the three points here, however they come. Want to see us come out fired up after last nights debacle, and get right at the Stoke defence from minute one. Just go out, and play our game, and hopefully we’ll see some nice possession based passing out the back, but with some threat as well for a change. Will imagine Stoke will come and try and poo house us, so we’ll want to be ready for an aerial battle at the back. Goes without saying we need to deal with balls into the box much better than last night, and try to stop them at source as well with some better defending from fullbacks, as well as support from the widemen tracking back. Have to close down more in our own half as well, we’ve conceded too many goals from range this season for my liking, we stand off and sit back far too much. Need to defend with much more aggression. 

My team, with a number of changes clearly due to the quick tour around from Tuesday night:

Roos

Bogle Davies Clarke Forsyth

Bird

Whittaker Holmes Rooney Lawrence 

Martin

Maintain that Hamers slow distribution is hurting our play out the back, so Roos returns. Bogles mistake was unacceptable, but he manages to just hold onto his place by virtue of his excellent assist- we need better from him in defence though. Wisdom is too much of an aerial weakness at CB, so Davies returns. Forsyth obviously in for the suspended Lowe, his stupidity will probably leave us with Scott Malone but I remain hopeful Forsyth May play his natural role. I expect a much improved performance from Holmes too, he was far too wasteful the other night, but he’s still one of our best players so he keeps his place next to Rooney who hopefully will continue his improvement. Knight looked a bit shattered the other night, so I think resting him for Whittaker would be a wise move, and add some width to the team. I’d have dropped Lawrence as well after yet another wasteful game, but we have no real options sadly, so he’s lucky to keep his place. Martin in for Waghorn is a no brainer for me, the latters touch is too poor to play as a lone striker - Martin is much more suitable and made an instant impact last night.

TL, DR.

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

That's the case for everyone with @Millenniumram's posts but you don't have to hurt his feelings like that.

I’m astounded I got a couple of reactions on that really long one I wrote yesterday. Writing it was more for my benefit than anyone elses? Some sad duckers about, I don’t read anyone else’s essays on here either

Hamer

Bogle   Wisdom   Clarke   Malone

Waghorn   Shinnie   Holmes   Knight

Rooney   

Marriott 

Roos, Davies, Huddlestone, Martin, Bird, Forsyth, Whittaker 

4-4-2

Not sure why you'd drop Wisdom. Thought he was one of the better players last night. Clarke was poor in comparison.

Hamer's slow distribution does stem from the fact that nobody moves. If Cocu plays Waghorn up front on his own again then I'll start to question what he's seeing.

I know Malone isn't the best. But surely he'll play over Forsyth. 

Hamer

Bogle Wisdom Clarke Malone

Huddlestone

Holmes.          Shinnie

Rooney

Marriott.         Martin

Hope Huddlestone is fit. I'd stick Shinnie in too. If not play Knight. 

Easy not to play with Wingers cos we don't have any. 

A lot might not agree but I’d stick Shinnie in at LB and I’d also bring Jozefzoon back in the team the players don’t say he’s the fastest and most skillfull for no reason! There is a player in there somewhere just needs some confidence.

Hamer

Wisdom Davies Clarke Shinnie

Holmes Huddlestone

Jozefzoon Rooney Lawrence

Marriott

53 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m astounded I got a couple of reactions on that really long one I wrote yesterday. Writing it was more for my benefit than anyone elses? Some sad duckers about, I don’t read anyone else’s essays on here either

Sorry, I'm getting old. Could u repeat your post in 160 characters?

Archived