v Stoke (H) - Matchday thread

OohMartWright

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A great team performance. Lots of movement off the ball, everyone up for it and working for each other. Four wonderful goals, each a thing of beauty. Absolutely loved it. Can’t argue with Holmes as MOTM, but I feel that Forsyth ran him close. After some uninspiring performances as CB cover, it was only his excellent performance yesterday that made me remember that he is fundamentally a Left Back, and a very good one. If he plays like that for the next two games Max Lowe will struggle to get back in the side.

A really good comeback from such a dismal result on Tuesday. Much needed for everyone's morale especially after how we controlled the game for 60 mins on Tuesday & then fell apart.

Thought the movement tonight was excellent, Stoke were just overrun everywhere. It's all well & good having the ball but it's that movement that carves teams open & what we didnt do enough of at Luton. Bogle & Forsyth bossed the flanks, Bird and Rooney pulled the strings and Holmes was just too quick and sharp for the Stokies. Holmes my MOM & especially impressive given his emotional state after losing his mate a few days ago.

Thought the front 3 all had good games too & was particularly impressed with Lawrence's workrate. Keep it up Tom & your quality will start to shine through. Felt we really missed Martin at Luton, his control & deft touches would have helped us unlock them much earlier, so it was nice to see him back tonight.

Not getting carried away but think this team are going to turn over quite a few others before this season is done.

People saying keep the same team....

Let me predict the comments after the next away game and we are poor...

Why no... Shinnie our best player before he was injured

Lowe had been playing well

Marriott is our best striker

Knight has been our brightest player for the last few weeks. 

And....

Why pick.. 

Lawrence he has one good game in 10

Hamer is useless

Wisdom can't head

Holmes has no end product 

One poor result and all these complaints will come out and Cocu will be clueless again. 

Thankfully at least I think those predicting relegation will finally admit that is woefully pessimistic. 

Hopefully they will see Cocu knows what he is trying to do and is sticking to his brief. Bogle, Lowe, Knight, Sibley, Bird all established now. More Academy players on the fringes. Regulars Bielik, Holmes, Lawrence, Marriott all still relatively young. Think of what Rowett promised and then actually did. Cameron Jerome... glad we kept our powder dry yesterday as I really think we needed a raincheck even though no one enjoys a good signing more than me, finally we have accepted there are no quick fixes through over spending on more players. 

People just need to relax and accept we are in this for the long haul and stop flip-flopping and over reacting. 

Great win last night. Usually don't like Friday games but when you win well like that it really makes the weekend.

It looked last night that we had changed our tactics when defending corners and that Lawrence was pushed up near the half-way line. Can someone who went please confirm as I was watching on TV?

What last night proved was we don’t need new signings.The whole team was excellent and the master class from Rooney if you watch him closely he is directing the traffic all over the pitch.

This season the squad is good enough and there will be big changes in the summer there is no doubt about that.

Next season it will be Cocu team 100% last night you could clearly see how he wants his team to play  and you could see the players got it and perhaps that was the reason for the changes.

The movement was incredible Rooney, Lawrence.Martin and Waghorn all interchanging and the runs from Holmes were  superb.

Where we will need to improve on is in future matches When teams press us from goal kicks we need to deal with that as Stoke didn’t press us they let us have the ball and we took real advantage of that.

Rooney was a masterclass he just proves that you don’t need to run around like a idiot. He has a football brain. He makes everyone calmer Bird and Holmes look class and when Wayne gets even fitter this could be super excitement next season.

The future is bright it will be up and down but in Cocu we actually have a plan where he is looking ahead and we all need to buy into that.

15 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

Great win last night. Usually don't like Friday games but when you win well like that it really makes the weekend.

It looked last night that we had changed our tactics when defending corners and that Lawrence was pushed up near the half-way line. Can someone who went please confirm as I was watching on TV?

Yes, he stayed up for all their corners, I think. It meant one less of their towering players in the box and a possible quick outlet for Hamer (even though he ignored it!) ?

10 hours ago, DerbyRam! said:

Anyone want to end their night on a good note??

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/293503/tom-ince

Have a read, sound familiar ?

Yes was a good read. Funny how good they were last week and bad last night and we were saying the opposite. Lol. A lot of Ince slagging off on the matchday forum. 

I don't think their website looks a patch on ours. Harder to read and not as well set out. But no adverts at least. 

10 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Super performance. Nothing to criticise, loads to enjoy.

Rooney pulled the strings. Holmes a dynamo. Vintage Martin. Fozzy's crossing and keeping Ince quiet. Bogle's wonder goal. Bird developing nicely. All positive tonight.

The manager got it right this evening. Well done PC.

It was wonderful to se Fozzy back to his best. How we've missed him. 

Confession time...

It was touch and go whether I'd go or not.  I'd almost got back into the same mindset I had towards the end of Young Nigel's tenure.
Freezing temps or heavy rain (I walk up from near the cricket ground) could well have seen me watching from home.  I almost forced myself to get off my arse to attend in person.  So glad I did!

Best game of the season without doubt... and I really wasn't expecting that!

?

Archived