v Stoke (H) - Matchday thread

OohMartWright

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Just shows how different people see a game.

I don't think i'm too different from anyone else, My facial features perphaps, My skin colour.

Firstly, the result tends to sway your verdict on the ref. 

That could be true, But in the Luton match I did say the ref was poor but wasn't his fault we lost.

Secondly, viewing the game live in the stands, you miss things as does the ref. Something VAR has been brought in to sort out. 2 fouls which seemed innocuous at first, could easily have been red, after seeing slow motion replays. 

Not seen the replays yet but 1 or 2 posters have said there should have been 1 red at least.

In my opinion, the ref had a poor game, card wise. Bogle's card was ridiculous, it could be argued that he actually played the ball, but in any case the player had stopped and turned back away from the goal. It wasn't dangerous and it wasn't stopping a dangerous attack. 

Bookings are subjective in my view, One players challenge is another refs booking or another refs play on, It's an opinion, You say Bogles card was ridiculous, The ref thought otherwise, Maybe it was a case of the totting up system...ie one foul too many.

Alaways nice to read different thoughts from different people ?

My impression last night was also that the ref had a good game but I thought the tackle on Shinnie deserved a booking if he was to be consistent. 

I wasn't too concerned about the possible red as it happened and maybe that was because no-one made a meal of it at the time. Having seen it back on tv it probably was a red, but neither the ref or the crowd knew this at the time.

What I did like about the ref was that he let the players talk to him and explained his decisions to them. He seemed very calm and I felt this had an effect on the game, which was played in a much better spirit than games against Stoke usually are.

36 minutes ago, angieram said:

What I did like about the ref was that he let the players talk to him and explained his decisions to them. He seemed very calm and I felt this had an effect on the game, which was played in a much better spirit than games against Stoke usually are.

I've always preferred refs like that, myself.

However, I'm half way through Howard Webb's book, and early in his career, he was advised by a then senior/experienced ref (whose name escapes me, but a well known/familiar name, even to me) to cut out all the niceties.  No explanations.  No chit chat.  No "talking it through with the players".  No giving his point of view.
Just make the decision.  No if's or but's, and get on with it.  He was advised this approach, as said senior/experienced ref claimed players were taking advantage of his "approachable nature", and if he carried on like that, he'd never make a successful career of it.  He changed his ways... and went to the very top of his profession!

?‍♂️

I liked this ref as he explained his decisions, and, maybe because of his height, he actually had the wall ten yards back for Rooney’s free kick. It’s a bugbear of mine, all these short refs setting walls at no more than 8 yards.

1 minute ago, Rambam said:

I liked this ref as he explained his decisions, and, maybe because of his height, he actually had the wall ten yards back for Rooney’s free kick. It’s a bugbear of mine, all these short refs setting walls at no more than 8 yards.

Your auto correct went wrong after the first two letters ?

1 minute ago, Rambam said:

I believe that nowadays, as opposed to taking "10 strides", they take as many steps (or strides) as it takes them,to cover the full ten yards... as defined to a few practice runs and the use of a tape measure, of course.  So in theory at least, physical height/length of stride should play no part in it.

?‍♂️

Think the ref had a poor game. From where I sat he booked Allen for what seemed to be a fantastic tackle on Holmes, probably should have sent their player off the lunge on Rooney, and should've booked the man who went in very late on Shinnie. Even the people around me who aren't normally very vocal about the ref thought he had a poor game. 

3 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Think the ref had a poor game. From where I sat he booked Allen for what seemed to be a fantastic tackle on Holmes, probably should have sent their player off the lunge on Rooney, and should've booked the man who went in very late on Shinnie. Even the people around me who aren't normally very vocal about the ref thought he had a poor game. 

It’s weird mate because everything you have said is right, I hate Allen but to be fair it wasn’t a foul on Holmes.......tho the foul on Rooney should’ve been red........I think it’s to do with mannerisms and man management, both teams last night just played footy (or 1 did) it came across to me on tele the ref was talking, smiling, explaining, just not being a complete banford....

I watched on tv (I know, half fan) which has the benefit of replays, and I thought the ref was fine - not perfect, but not bad. 

The challenge on Rooney could have been red in another match, but I don't think yellow was unreasonable. Allen and Bogle both deserved their yellows. I don't remember the one on Shinnie, so either I had no complaints, or I was so happy with the rest of the performance I didn't care. 

42 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

I’ve been trawling through YouTube  watching various clips of last nights game, and the goals get better and better, especially Bogles, one lad who has a vlog filmed it from behind the goal it’s a PROPER proper good goal......

Bogle's goal was incredible. The feeling around the ground when that went in was amazing, haven't felt a buzz like that at Pride Park in a long time!

2 hours ago, angieram said:

My impression last night was also that the ref had a good game but I thought the tackle on Shinnie deserved a booking if he was to be consistent. 

I wasn't too concerned about the possible red as it happened and maybe that was because no-one made a meal of it at the time. Having seen it back on tv it probably was a red, but neither the ref or the crowd knew this at the time.

I haven’t seen it back, but I was very confused as to why Allen was penalised, let alone carded, for what looked like a cracking tackle in the first half. I then seem to remember, minutes later, a poor tackle that ought to have been a foul and a card, yet he ref played on.

7 minutes ago, Sean said:

Bogle's goal was incredible. The feeling around the ground when that went in was amazing, haven't felt a buzz like that at Pride Park in a long time!

I particularly enjoyed the noise of shock that was briefly heard as the ball hit the net. It sounded like a European crowd for half a second.

Archived