The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, jono said:

It’s an interesting one. In the first instance I thought Cummings needed to go, regardless of any general feeling that Boris has done an OK job. Not exceptional but as well as we could expect any incumbent to. Sounded at first look like rank hypocrisy.  Then listening to the myriad of stories, gossip and comment And a breakdown of the fact and events I just concluded that Cummings actions were pretty reasonable. Not perfect, not ideal, given his position in the hierarchy but all pretty “meh” when we got to the nitty gritty. You could have done it, I could have done it, there was his kid involved. Just didn’t look like scandal to me. Slightly embarrassing sure but capital crime and worth all the faux outrage ? Not to me but then again, interpretation is what it is for every individual. 

As to you Archied, I reckon you are very even handed and big picture, and always are on this forum.  we are probably a few degreees apart politically but but only as far milk first or last. Still make tea. I don’t think you’re weird or a loner, just think we disagree on this particular point

I’m also a bit strange in the fact that I don’t believe being a conservative rules anybody out from having a social conscience just lots of decent red and blue think the route to achieving a decent society is different, of course that rules out the loons on both sides?,

reall for me I just want politicians to tell the bloody truth , there’s not a minister in the country who can say they wouldnt have made mistakes dealing with this corona crisis 

33 minutes ago, jono said:

It’s an interesting one. In the first instance I thought Cummings needed to go, regardless of any general feeling that Boris has done an OK job. Not exceptional but as well as we could expect any incumbent to. Sounded at first look like rank hypocrisy.  Then listening to the myriad of stories, gossip and comment And a breakdown of the fact and events I just concluded that Cummings actions were pretty reasonable. Not perfect, not ideal, given his position in the hierarchy but all pretty “meh” when we got to the nitty gritty. You could have done it, I could have done it, there was his kid involved. Just didn’t look like scandal to me. Slightly embarrassing sure but capital crime and worth all the faux outrage ? Not to me but then again, interpretation is what it is for every individual. 

As to you Archied, I reckon you are very even handed and big picture, and always are on this forum.  we are probably a few degreees apart politically but but only as far milk first or last. Still make tea. I don’t think you’re weird or a loner, just think we disagree on this particular point

Which ones?

- The actions of interpreting the rules/guidelines in his own unique way?

Or

- The actions of writing untruthfully and inaccurately by his wife and himself about their "covid" episode that basically gave a different version of their actions? As though they perhaps weren't 100% sure of the "reasonableness " of their real actions.

Or

- his actions since the expose of the whole saga.

All reasonable?

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Trump not holding back today I see - got time on my hands for the next few weeks so might start building a bunker under my house.

"We will be today terminating our relationship with the World Health Organization and directing those funds" to other global public health charities, Trump says.

"The world is now suffering as a result of the malfeasance of the Chinese government," he says, adding that China "instigated a global pandemic that has cost over 100,000 American lives".

China, he says, "pressured the World Health Organization to mislead the world" about the virus.

"Countless lives have been taken and profound economic hardship has been inflicted all around the globe,"

His need for a scapegoat grows ever stronger, so he is desperately trying to highlight the faults of China and the WHO to hide his own.  It's all about his own re-election for Trump.

Still, his apparent suggestion that looters should be shot rather than arrested may inadvertently help temporarily deflect attention away from his bungling of the Coronavirus crisis.  So that's a bonus for him. 

4 hours ago, ramit said:

Not that i am aware of.  Don't have definitive proof he is the policeman named either, but i will keep on it and give updates, for i have little else to do today.

This may be of interest though.  The fella in the pink shirt who followed the umbrella hammer man into the parking lot after he broke the windows of an auto store can be seen again, this time in front of the police station with no pizza box in his hands, but wearing a backpack, taking on crowd control.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexLunaViewof1/status/1266294275454627840

Ahh, the plot thickens.  There is no pizza in the pizza box

Imo the us is a pretty ducked up country

17 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

Imo the us is a pretty ducked up country

On this we agree.  i saw where they were heading long ago and got out of there right after high school and never went back.  If there is such a thing as national Karma, Americans are in for a rough time, i fear.

Found more info on umbrella man.  He certainly does look like officer Jacob Pederson of the St. Paul PD.

6 hours ago, ramit said:

On this we agree.  i saw where they were heading long ago and got out of there right after high school and never went back.  If there is such a thing as national Karma, Americans are in for a rough time, i fear.

Found more info on umbrella man.  He certainly does look like officer Jacob Pederson of the St. Paul PD.

Be careful. Someone will be on your back because you're risking his livelihood. 

image.png.f7e40c93f81b54d3c1e56277514577f3.png

I've been staying alert as requested. In my alert state I've noticed that the Govt isn't following it's own Covid-19 alert system. Currently we are at 4 - 'Transmission is high or rising exponentially' which should mean social distancing continues. However we have moved to 3's 'Measures in place' - 'Gradual relaxation of restrictions' even though we are not at that alert level. 

No wonder there are some scientists speaking out against it.

10 hours ago, Highgate said:

His need for a scapegoat grows ever stronger, so he is desperately trying to highlight the faults of China and the WHO to hide his own.  It's all about his own re-election for Trump.

Still, his apparent suggestion that looters should be shot rather than arrested may inadvertently help temporarily deflect attention away from his bungling of the Coronavirus crisis.  So that's a bonus for him. 

He is a frightening and unpleasant individual but the thing that disturbs me most is that such a large portion of American society seems to agree with him. What does that say about those Americans ? 

I despise the far left, it’s no secret, but Trump is exactly how the far right can rise if so many people in one place accept its kinda of “ok” - which they do -  it makes me shudder and we all need to be on our guard. 

12 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Which ones?

- The actions of interpreting the rules/guidelines in his own unique way?

Or

- The actions of writing untruthfully and inaccurately by his wife and himself about their "covid" episode that basically gave a different version of their actions? As though they perhaps weren't 100% sure of the "reasonableness " of their real actions.

Or

- his actions since the expose of the whole saga.

All reasonable?

Yes pretty much so. I can’t say I would have done what he / they did, or that I approve but if I felt I needed to go in to a grey area for what I felt was a valid reason I am sure I would have had a story to tell to justify it to myself and anyone who asked. .. it is a grey area, it’s interpretation. The way it’s being projected by those who want his scalp for various reasons isn’t grey. They are talking as if he walked in to an ICU and started coughing. ... 

I might as well ask why have you taken your stance ? Is it 

A) I don’t like Cummings, his politics and the party he works for 

or 

B ) He has put vast numbers of people at risk for no good reason at all 

13 minutes ago, jono said:

Yes pretty much so. I can’t say I would have done what he / they did, or that I approve but if I felt I needed to go in to a grey area for what I felt was a valid reason I am sure I would have had a story to tell to justify it to myself and anyone who asked. .. it is a grey area, it’s interpretation. The way it’s being projected by those who want his scalp for various reasons isn’t grey. They are talking as if he walked in to an ICU and started coughing. ... 

I might as well ask why have you taken your stance ? Is it 

A) I don’t like Cummings, his politics and the party he works for 

or 

B ) He has put vast numbers of people at risk for no good reason at all 

It is his conduct after the event that I particularly despise. The blatant lies by both him and his wife, rather than be candid and open from the off "we did this because.....we thought we were within the guidelines that say the following...….but if our interpretation was not as intended then we apologise, we were doing what we thought best".

And then the apparent contempt in which he holds his fellow members of society who have applied different interpretations

I don't know his personal political affiliation. His job is for the PM but that is a different matter. Therefore there is no political angle at all. The angles are of conduct, moral leadership and contemptuous weaselling.

Archived