The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

12 minutes ago, Norman said:

Except smoking seems to help you resist the virus. 

Being fat is a direct problem with this virus. Hence why our death rate is so high. 

65 percent of people over 40 are fat. 

What about those of us who have high blood pressure? Any good tips? 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If the government want us to move on from Cummings let's do that. Let's move on to the fact that a group of the government scientists are saying the easing of lockdown measures is happening too quickly based on the infection rates. 

They love saying they follow the science, so what has changed? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52858392

Just think about what you've put. 

If the group of scientists is in the minority on this committee, which the evidence suggest, are you not suggesting yourself to go against medical advice? And therefore ignoring the science? 

37 minutes ago, Norman said:

How big is this group? 

34 under 40's have died who didn't have preexisting medical conditions, I've just read. 

Yet, we are all expected to stay in lockdown until when? The ecomony is ducked already. 

If you've got a preexisting medical condition, old, or fat... Shield yourself. Just like Eddie. Not calling him fat BTW. 

The rest of us really should be allowed to keep working etc. 

And if you are fat, start losing weight and help the NHS out a bit. 

I think the reason for the lockdown is not to prevent us getting the disease. It’s deadly, but as you say, only to some.

The lockdown is because the disease is easily transmissible and seriously debilitating while you have it. Most will not get it and if you do most will get better ... but If lots of people young and old catch it all at the same time then the NHS and the rest of the mechanics of society would struggle to function. In a sense it isn’t a lockdown to save a person. It’s a lockdown to avoid the consequences of societal systems failing . Beyond even the health service, Everything from water to energy to rubbish collection and processing. If those fail far more people will die than from the disease itself, that’s why there’s a lockdown.. that’s my take anyway 

4 minutes ago, jono said:

I think the reason for the lockdown is not to prevent us getting the disease. It’s deadly, but as you say, only to some.

The lockdown is because the disease is easily transmissible and seriously debilitating while you have it. Most will not get it and if you do most will get better ... but If lots of people young and old catch it all at the same time then the NHS and the rest of the mechanics of society would struggle to function. In a sense it isn’t a lockdown to save a person. It’s a lockdown to avoid the consequences of societal systems failing . Beyond even the health service, Everything from water to energy to rubbish collection and processing. If those fail far more people will die than from the disease itself, that’s why there’s a lockdown.. that’s my take anyway 

I agree completely. I don't agree with those saying we are coming out of it too soon, that is all. 

54 minutes ago, Norman said:

I agree completely. I don't agree with those saying we are coming out of it too soon, that is all. 

I think what we are doing is about right .. try something .. see the results .. adjust accordingly 

it makes sense ..there isn’t an instruction book

when it’s all over or under control I am sure there will be finger pointers saying we should have done this.. hang X shoot Y  but that’s easy isn’t it ? Much better would be an attitude that says .. we’ll know what to do this time. .. but politics never allows that to happen 

2 hours ago, Norman said:

Except smoking seems to help you resist the virus. 

Stunned you ignore the alcohol thing - perhaps you like a drink, but you're not overweight?

Alcohol puts a massive burden on the NHS both directly and indirectly

With the smoking again, I was largely meaning the impact on the NHS in general, as I'm pretty sure you knew, but wanted to deflect.

But yeh, there was some conjecture when looking at very small samples early on, but this is the latest WHO position on it which will disappint smokers.

Tobacco smoking is a known risk factor for many respiratory infections and increases the severity of respiratory diseases. A review of studies by public health experts convened by WHO on 29 April 2020 found that smokers are more likely to develop severe disease with COVID-19, compared to non-smokers.

COVID-19 is an infectious disease that primarily attacks the lungs. Smoking impairs lung function making it harder for the body to fight off coronaviruses and other diseases. Tobacco is also a major risk factor for noncommunicable diseases like cardiovascular disease, cancer, respiratory disease and diabetes which put people with these conditions at higher risk for developing severe illness when affected by COVID-19. Available research suggests that smokers are at higher risk of developing severe disease and death.

Although Trump doesn't trust the WHO, so maybe you don't?

Here is the link if you want to learn stuff

17 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Stunned you ignore the alcohol thing - perhaps you like a drink, but you're not overweight?

Alcohol puts a massive burden on the NHS both directly and indirectly

With the smoking again, I was largely meaning the impact on the NHS in general, as I'm pretty sure you knew, but wanted to deflect.

But yeh, there was some conjecture when looking at very small samples early on, but this is the latest WHO position on it which will disappint smokers.

Tobacco smoking is a known risk factor for many respiratory infections and increases the severity of respiratory diseases. A review of studies by public health experts convened by WHO on 29 April 2020 found that smokers are more likely to develop severe disease with COVID-19, compared to non-smokers.

COVID-19 is an infectious disease that primarily attacks the lungs. Smoking impairs lung function making it harder for the body to fight off coronaviruses and other diseases. Tobacco is also a major risk factor for noncommunicable diseases like cardiovascular disease, cancer, respiratory disease and diabetes which put people with these conditions at higher risk for developing severe illness when affected by COVID-19. Available research suggests that smokers are at higher risk of developing severe disease and death.

Although Trump doesn't trust the WHO, so maybe you don't?

Here is the link if you want to learn stuff

Don't smoke. Only binge drink once a month. But I made a simple point. Not sure what you're getting at or why. 

Who does trust the WHO? 

They're as bad as Cummings. 

I've been starting to think that it might for the best if Cummings stays around. The longer he is around, the greater the damage and loss in confidence by the electorate.  I just read this piece and it's on similarish lines...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/30/dominic-cummings-boris-johnson-evil-geniuses-hardly-lazy-incompetent

(PS I obviously want Cummings, and ideally Johnson, gone asap, as I fear their incompetence and lies will lead to even more deaths. I was just pretending they not highly complicit for a brief moment.)

7 hours ago, jono said:

I think that’s a good point but at the same time I still see it as very much like Alastair Campbell .. he is one of those advisor, thinker manipulator Machiavellian types who attracts enemies everywhere. Yes I know, more excuses, but regardless of wriggling (and he’s squirmed a lot) in the cold light of day what he did was pretty ordinary in terms of possible none compliance with some pretty solid mitigation behind it. Yet we have had this huge none story. 

Agree to differ then jono.

The government advice was to stay at home if you had symptoms. His wife had symptoms, they decided not to stay at home. They went against  the government guidelines at the time.

As a person who was at the forefront of making government policy, he was attending the SAGE meetings and seems indispensable to Johnson, he should have been a beacon of responsibility, leading by example. He has the wealth and position of power to access far more help than the majority of people yet decided to completely ignore the very rules he was involved in setting.

Some people have broken the rules because they don't have symptoms and are too thick to realise they could still spread it or catch it.

Cummings knew himself and his wife had symptoms, he knew it was more than likely he had it through his close working relationship with Johnson and the other government ministers who had it, yet he drove the length of the country to his second home then traveled about once there.

You mentioned Alistair Campbell, I agree he was evil and satanic, as was Thatchers spin doctor, Bernard Ingram, there's a long history of unelected, anti-democratic liars controlling our politicians unfortunately.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

I've been starting to think that it might for the best if Cummings stays around. The longer he is around, the greater the damage and loss in confidence by the electorate.  I just read this piece and it's on similarish lines...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/30/dominic-cummings-boris-johnson-evil-geniuses-hardly-lazy-incompetent

(PS I obviously want Cummings, and ideally Johnson, gone asap, as I fear their incompetence and lies will lead to even more deaths. I was just pretending they not highly complicit for a brief moment.)

I was thinking about this a day or two back and could not work out which I found more astounding. The fact that he felt the need to tell such a ridiculous lie in the first place, when all it served was his ego, or that he believed nobody would fact-check him, nor wonder why this 'fact' had not surfaced earlier.

The only conclusion that I can draw is that much like Trump and to a lesser extent, Johnson, he has convinced himself that the vast majority of folk are congenital idiots, too dim-witted to spot even the laziest of lies. Doubtless his own arrogance will prevent him realising the colossal irony such thinking entails, which would almost be funny, were it not so sad.

Johnson along with many ministers in his cabinet seem to get a little irritable when asked about Mr Cummings.

It appears they'd like the country to forget  all about what Mr Cummings did and move on.

So where should the country move on to?

We could possibly ask Prime Minister Johnson why he told Parliament that the track and trace app would be fully functional by the first of June, while the company developing it said it wouldn't by ready until the end of June.

Maybe we could get Robert Jenrick MP, one of the ministers telling us to move on, to explain why he authorized the planning application for a development in East London, even though Tower Hamlets Council had questions about the application. By authorizing the application when he did, it saved the development company up to £50 million in taxes. The boss of this company was Richard Desmond, the former owner of the Daily Express. Who also happens to be a donor of £10,000 to the Tory party.

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Who would you replace Johnson with?

1 hour ago, bigbadbob said:

Who would you replace Johnson with?

It's a good question as the Tory party look devoid of competent MPs at the moment. Jeremy Hunt maybe? He did come 2nd in leadership ballot?

Would be interesting to know if the infamous Tory membership regret voting in Johnson now.

Archived