The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

43 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Hang about - I get called out for straying into politics - where's the howls of protest from @i-Ram now?

Could the reason be (whisper it quietly) political?

Didn’t come back immediately as I went for a walk. Your remarks in my view are political, but that doesn’t matter as long as they are in the right thread. Plenty of time for political views, of all persuasion, that way I might forms a balanced opinion on matters.  Nothing entrenched about me.

As for you continuing to bash the Government for keeping you in the house for 10 weeks why do you keep perpetuating that myth?  You have had the same freedoms as everyone else over the same period. You could of gone out of the house for exercise for an hour. You could have done essential shopping, or gone the Chemist, etc. Whilst you were strongly advised to remain in the house because of pre-existing medical conditions that put you at more danger to the virus, no one told you to not leave your house (and to keep bleating about it). Glad you are making your first steps out, but give it a bit of a rest that you are some modern day Steve McQueen.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'd say this is a pretty 'categorical' example of you assuming once again to know more than you actually do... old chap ? Frankly I find it quite hilarious to read your posts about how others are disingenuous while you pump out this kind of rubbish day in, day out.

I can categorically state that 2+2=4 but I wouldn't be assuming to know more than I actually do.  If anyone can prove that the media pile on had nothing what so ever to do with either being the Tories or Brexit go ahead...

And if you find my the posts I regularly pump out to be rubbish day and, day out maybe just ignore them in future?  At least I remain civil and don't patronise or talk condescendingly to others.

A suitably fluffy response. You check away old chap. There's an interesting article in the Guardian today that you may wish to have a read of before venturing your next opinion dressed as fact.

No more fluffy than The Guardian suggesting it was 60 when around 20 had only voiced concerns and of the remaining 40 approx 20 were remainers.  As I said earlier I cba to look into the motivations of the other 20 or so, I really don't care all that much - so some party members oppose the leadership, is the same it every party at some point in time.  I do care about the media hypocrisy however.

All this aside, it's a lovely day so I'm off to the beach with the other disingenuous proles. The floor is yours ?

Enjoy your day at the beach, try not to step on anyone was you navigate a path through the masses.

39 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Didn’t come back immediately as I went for a walk. Your remarks in my view are political, but that doesn’t matter as long as they are in the right thread. Plenty of time for political views, of all persuasion, that way I might forms a balanced opinion on matters.  Nothing entrenched about me.

As for you continuing to bash the Government for keeping you in the house for 10 weeks why do you keep perpetuating that myth?  You have had the same freedoms as everyone else over the same period. You could of gone out of the house for exercise for an hour. You could have done essential shopping, or gone the Chemist, etc. Whilst you were strongly advised to remain in the house because of pre-existing medical conditions that put you at more danger to the virus, no one told you to not leave your house (and to keep bleating about it). Glad you are making your first steps out, but give it a bit of a rest that you are some modern day Steve McQueen.

200.gif

28 minutes ago, maxjam said:

At least I remain civil and don't patronise or talk condescendingly to others.

No you just call folk 'naive and disingenuous' then copy and paste the dictionary definitions in case they're ignorant of the words' meaning.

Not remotely condescending, are you?

You literally fool no one old chap, yourself aside of course. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Yes. I posted it last light, and I am delighted that I have now been given the choice to make my own decisions again, albeit once a day only.

I would actually like to know the reasoning behind this decision being taken now, when medical advice was that we were to continue sheltering until June 30. Why is it suddenly 'safer' now than it was 3 weeks ago? Is it likely that Cummings broke the lockdown irrevocably, and Johnson has taken this course of action now purely and simply as a deflection tactic to quell the anger of those of us who have been locked up completely, an awful lot of whom are traditional Tory voters? After all, the elderly are far more likely to vote Conservative than for any other party.

When Johnson said, just two (or was it 3 or 4) days ago, that we were to remain locked up when answering a question from a young lady frustrated at being perceived as somebody who was to be shut away, unheard and ignored, there was an outpouring of anger aimed in his direction from people in a similar situation. Unlike most who post on here, I am in that category, and so some of the websites I visit are for people who are old, have certain medical conditions etc. The rage was palpable. I myself was utterly furious, seeing an inevitable consequence in his words that there was to be no end to our lockdown.

But there is now. I had steeled myself, was hoping that I could make it until the end of June before I emerged, blinking into the sunlight, but Johnson seemed to be saying on Thursday (or was it Wednesday?) "Good news, everyone (not you and your kind, Eddie) - have a barbecue with a couple of mates, go shopping (as you were, Eddie), go for a walk, go to the park, get the old surfboard out (lock and bar your bloody door, Eddie, there is a scary virus out there and it's got your name on it)" - and I was angry, livid, spitting teeth at it all. I received a phone call and a text from the NHS on Friday urging me to remain sheltering in place. Then, suddenly, at 11:00 pm last night, everything changed without any warning.

Cummings effectively single-handedly broke the lockdown in England. People are now using it as an excuse (this was stated yesterday by various police forces, and they are hearing it more and more as an excuse for people's behaviour). There will, now, be an inevitable increase in the number of cases, brought about directly because the general relaxation is 'too much, too soon' (witness the crowded beaches, the illegal gatherings, the barbecues etc). I will not call it a 'second wave' because the 'first wave' is still with us. 

Deaths yesterday across Europe:
Spain 2
Italy 87
Germany 24
France 52
Turkey 28
Belgium 42
Sweden 84
Portugal 14
Ireland 6
Poland 13
Romania 13
Hungary 8
Netherlands 28

UK 324

Why now?

I saw this one on Facebook. It a load of ill educated rubbish. Anyone with even a minute amount of brain will know that each country collects and reports data in different ways , with different levels of accuracy and compliance .. then add in demographics, population density and a huge pile of other variables. The truth is every Western Europe’s country allowing for obvious variables will have had a broadly Similar infection and death rate. We are all human and in European terms live in a similar way. All governments have made errors, none has failed to respond sensibly. 

Could there be anything to stories now circulating that the cottage Cummings claimed belonged to his old man is in fact half owned by him? Also that said cottage was built without planning permission. And if that weren't enough, that the building has not been registered for council tax. Sorry - appreciate that this IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A GENUINE REASON TO THINK CUMMINGS IS A CHEAP, LYING TWIT WHO SHOULD RESIGN just another weak opportunity to be POLITICAL on the POLITICS thread. Forgive me but as a fully paid-up member of the proletariat and the lunatic left, I find it far harder to provide the same balance that some far less hypocritical posters on here claim to. 

Furthermore, I would strongly urge that nobody take it for granted that the story is true as yet, as @maxjam has yet to assure us categorically that it is (or isn't), so until he's consulted the Daily Fail, The Guardian and www.leave.eu, thereby formulating a fully informed and wholly centrist analysis, could you all hold-fire on any thinly-veiled, political pile-on please, as some non-Tories are incredibly sensitive when it comes to things being said about... well... the Tories.

Ta.

8 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Could there be anything to stories now circulating that the cottage Cummings claimed belonged to his old man is in fact half owned by him? Also that said cottage was built without planning permission. And if that weren't enough, that the building has not been registered for council tax. Sorry - appreciate that this IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A GENUINE REASON TO THINK CUMMINGS IS A CHEAP, LYING TWIT WHO SHOULD RESIGN just another weak opportunity to be POLITICAL on the POLITICS thread. Forgive me but as a fully paid-up member of the proletariat and the lunatic left, I find it far harder to provide the same balance that some far less hypocritical posters on here claim to. 

Furthermore, I would strongly urge that nobody take it for granted that the story is true as yet, as @maxjam has yet to assure us categorically that it is (or isn't), so until he's consulted the Daily Fail, The Guardian and www.leave.eu, thereby formulating a fully informed and wholly centrist analysis, could you all hold-fire on any thinly-veiled, political pile-on please, as some non-Tories are incredibly sensitive when it comes to things being said about... well... the Tories.

Ta.

So stories are fact now? 

And why wouldn't I want action taken if they turn out to be true?  I did say that Cummings should have resigned last week after all...

Just now, 1967Ram said:

She admitted what she did was wrong. She has though shown integrity by resigning. Whereas..........

Just need another 600 or so of them and maybe politicians will be respected again ?

Come on people I know it’s hot, no need to let things boil over in here.

Ive removed some minor sniping, let’s not start it up again.

Count to 10 before posting.

Thats what we do before issuing points.

48 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

She admitted what she did was wrong. She has though shown integrity by resigning. Whereas..........

Must have been some quality sausage laid on his bbq that’s all I’m saying.

Definitely not  Richmonds quality.

21 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Must have been some quality sausage laid on his bbq that’s all I’m saying.

Definitely not  Richmonds quality.

Richmond make the worst sausages in the world. Fact. If anyone disagrees, I don't think you know the meaning of the word fact and should refer to a dictionary. 

9 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Richmond make the worst sausages in the world. Fact. If anyone disagrees, I don't think you know the meaning of the word fact and should refer to a dictionary. 

Fun fact, a customer of mine worked for Marco Pierre White as a commis or whatever you call it. He prefers Richmond, his dirty secret,  Bonkers.

21 hours ago, jono said:

I think the reason for the lockdown is not to prevent us getting the disease. It’s deadly, but as you say, only to some.

The lockdown is because the disease is easily transmissible and seriously debilitating while you have it. Most will not get it and if you do most will get better ... but If lots of people young and old catch it all at the same time then the NHS and the rest of the mechanics of society would struggle to function. In a sense it isn’t a lockdown to save a person. It’s a lockdown to avoid the consequences of societal systems failing . Beyond even the health service, Everything from water to energy to rubbish collection and processing. If those fail far more people will die than from the disease itself, that’s why there’s a lockdown.. that’s my take anyway 

The easing is not because it's now safe for our health to do so, it's because the curve has been flattened and the NHS now has room for you in ICU should you strike out with the virus

People stressing about it being "too early" and fearing a "second wave" are only correct on the second point. There will almost certainly be a second wave and almost certainly we'll go back to March 23rd lockdown levels at some point. Repeat until vaccine

The point is that this Tory government have never once given a crap about the health of the ordinary man, they just cared about balancing the economy against  the threadbare balkanised NHS

19 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

The easing is not because it's now safe for our health to do so, it's because the curve has been flattened and the NHS now has room for you in ICU should you strike out with the virus

People stressing about it being "too early" and fearing a "second wave" are only correct on the second point. There will almost certainly be a second wave and almost certainly we'll go back to March 23rd lockdown levels at some point. Repeat until vaccine

The point is that this Tory government have never once given a crap about the health of the ordinary man, they just cared about balancing the economy against  the threadbare balkanised NHS

How do we pay for the NHS if the country is bankrupt due to the permanent lockdown until the virus is completely eradicated?

Archived