v Barnsley (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

So so impressed by Max Bird. Another fantastic performance and my MOTM. Max Lowe also had another good performance. 

Sorry to be a bit negative, but Whittaker peed me off when he came on. Just walking around. Lack of quality I can accept from the young lad, but lack of effort I can't. Don't think he's ready yet. Malone at left mid as well? Poor subs tonight. 

Now if we could win at Boro, that would be lovely. 

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massive plus points from this and the Charlton game 

- we look like for the first time this season, we’ve found our first 11 

- Max Lowe is playing out of his skin 

- Barnsley we’re unbeaten in six, we just beat them 

- Rooney will only get sharper 

- Rooneys presence on the pitch had a noticeable effect on the young’ns in the team, they were playing alongside their hero 

- fantastic to finally see a captain rollock his players, Rooney tearing Marriott a new one was so refreshing to see 

- Rooney sounded much more intelligent and eloquent that I had thought he would be, great to see him pick out the areas in our fame he thought we needed to improve - throw ins / set pieces 

- we finally look dangerous from set pieces again 

- we’ve won back to back games for the first time this season 

- Just put everything in perspective, we have England and Man Utd’s all time goalscorer captaining our beloved Rams, just pinch yourself!

up the Rams! 

New 

Wisdom/Bogle Davies/new Clarke Lowe 

Bielek Bird/Shinnie 

Waghorn/Bird Rooney/Holmes Holmes/new

Martin/Marriott

New are where I’d be looking to strengthen but something to build on... 

Max Lowe was phenomenal tonight, created so many opportunities. That left back position is his to lose now, he's made the most of Malone's red card. 

Bird and Knight again, very good in midfield. Good work rate, neat and tidy passing. We seem to have found a nice balance to the side that works.

Rooney, obviously a great whip for the goal, and pinged the ball around a lot. Not as mobile as he once was, but that's fine with Bird and Knight's work rate to cover for him. 

Great performance tonight, could have scored more goals than we did, but all around excellent effort and performance from everyone. 

I can see shoots of growth now, we're going in the right direction. Cocu in.

OK, a slightly nervier last 15 mins than we would have liked but lets face it, we should have won this easily. Some good performances out there & Rooney can be happy with his key contributions. Great to see the side starting to evolve, the team is picking itself all of a sudden & we're creating plenty with lots of movement & interplay. 

Barnsley in fairness look a decent side, press very well & cause issues up top. I'd be surprised if they don't escape the bottom 3. 

Ratings;

Hamer - 6 - obviously his mistake for their goal but generally sound. His distribution is good also

Wisdom - 8 - excellent. Strong defensively & again offered plenty going forward. Assisted for second goal & great ball in first half also that Marriott missed

Lowe - 8 - also excellent. Dealt with their raids & looked a menace down the left

Clarke - 7 - really like this guy. So calm on the ball & totally changes the dynamic of the back 4. Won pretty much everything in the air. Would have been an 8 but lost his man for their goal

Davies - 7 - solid as ever. Slightly disappointed his forays into their box didn't yield more than it did

Bird - 8 - unbelievable to think only his 3rd start. A presence going forward & effective helping out his back 4

Rooney - 7 - great quality as you'd expect. Game sometimes passed him by but not surprised he's rusty after more than 2 months without a game. Liked that he wasn't shy in dishing out a rollocking to Marriott after another missed chance

Holmes - 7 - busy as ever, his darting raids are so important to the team. Great ball for Marriott's 3rd chance, lack of cutting edge on other occasions though

Knight - 8 - bit harder for him tonight but still worked manfully, contributed plenty going forward & gave Wisdom plenty of support

Marriott - 6.5 - scored & worked hard but really should have put the game to bed. Seemed to have real tunnel vision as should have put Bird in for one of the chances too

Waghorn - 7 - worked hard, linked up well with Marriott & scored the winner

Subs

Malone & Whittaker - 6 - both brought on to stop Barnsley building attacks & had some success

Dodgy subs by Cocu again - especially Whitaker. 

The lad clearly isn't going to bust a gut when he comes on late on. He clearly isn't going to close down their back line or pick up runners or do anything generally useful when we are under the cosh - so why bring him on?

It says something when Rooney was putting more in after 90 minutes than Whitaker.

And as for Malone. As would be expected, it threw our shape out and made us vulnerable.

Some good performances: Holmes, Lowe, Knight, Clarke, Wisdom and (MOTM again for me) Bird.

Marriott missed too many very good chances. He needs to sort himself out in front of goal.

Hamer cost us the goal.

Rooney did  very well.

Biggest plus for me is Max Lowe. Maturing game by game. Certainly showing he has as much potential as Bogle which is great news for us. Two young full backs with plenty of growth in them is a good omen for us. What a difference a week or so makes. Just hope we show something away from home now. 3 points for the travelling faithful very much called for!

42 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

We could and probably should have had 4 or 5 tonight having run ourselves senseless in the last game but still folk would rather moan than take a hard earned 3 points and enjoy seeing us win.

I ducking despair of this forum sometimes.

My thoughts exactly. Hard earned 3pts with some beautiful passes from Rooney. Had our moments and a confident Marriott could have had three or four. Barnsley been playing well, I wish some would give a little more credit to the opposition. Great interview with Rooney, learn a lot just listening to what he says about the game. 
Enjoyed that great signs of an improving team. Very pleased. Well done Rams.

Should have won more comfortably but jack puzzled everyone with a series of uncharacteristic misses.

great passing from Rooney.

great energy again from knight but he is getting pushed wider than is ideal.

This was surely crying out for sibley on as sub to get young legs around Rooney who was about as mobile as Dave Mackay.

dismayed to see Malone brought on instead. A bizarre move that helped to kill off any attacking threat. In the end we held on for a narrow win when we really should have stuffed them.

16 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Malone’s running style reminds me of Basil Fawlty, maybe he will open a Hotel in Torquay when he retires ?

I’ve been a supporter of Malone but tonight he was dire. What was he doing marking an empty space on the pitch outside the 18 yard box ? Then Rooney gives him a gift of a pass and his touch is as clumsy a hell.  He looked knackered too. Whittaker was the same. When they had the ball he just drifted around hoping someone will give it to him.... and he did exactly the same against Charlton. What was that all about ? 

19 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

OK, a slightly nervier last 15 mins than we would have liked but lets face it, we should have won this easily. Some good performances out there & Rooney can be happy with his key contributions. Great to see the side starting to evolve, the team is picking itself all of a sudden & we're creating plenty with lots of movement & interplay. 

Barnsley in fairness look a decent side, press very well & cause issues up top. I'd be surprised if they don't escape the bottom 3. 

Ratings;

Hamer - 6 - obviously his mistake for their goal but generally sound. His distribution is good also

Wisdom - 8 - excellent. Strong defensively & again offered plenty going forward. Assisted for second goal & great ball in first half also that Marriott missed

Lowe - 8 - also excellent. Dealt with their raids & looked a menace down the left

Clarke - 7 - really like this guy. So calm on the ball & totally changes the dynamic of the back 4. Won pretty much everything in the air. Would have been an 8 but lost his man for their goal

Davies - 7 - solid as ever. Slightly disappointed his forays into their box didn't yield more than it did

Bird - 8 - unbelievable to think only his 3rd start. A presence going forward & effective helping out his back 4

Rooney - 7 - great quality as you'd expect. Game sometimes passed him by but not surprised he's rusty after more than 2 months without a game. Liked that he wasn't shy in dishing out a rollocking to Marriott after another missed chance

Holmes - 7 - busy as ever, his darting raids are so important to the team. Great ball for Marriott's 3rd chance, lack of cutting edge on other occasions though

Knight - 8 - bit harder for him tonight but still worked manfully, contributed plenty going forward & gave Wisdom plenty of support

Marriott - 6.5 - scored & worked hard but really should have put the game to bed. Seemed to have real tunnel vision as should have put Bird in for one of the chances too

Waghorn - 7 - worked hard, linked up well with Marriott & scored the winner

Subs

Malone & Whittaker - 6 - both brought on to stop Barnsley building attacks & had some success

Pretty much agree but not so sure about Malone and Whittaker. Maybe Malone was out of position and unsure of his instructions but Whittaker did exactly as he did against Charlton. Without the ball he just ambled around. The attitude and body language looked off for some reason ? 

Enjoyed that, creating loads of opportunities..... last 15 yes, we looked leggy..... no surprise after playing with 10 for a long time previous game.

The youngsters once again, with some experience heads standing up and being counted, a togetherness again, and a will to win.

Both main strikers score, defending solidly from set pieces and moving the ball a lot more positively and quickly.

Time for others who are not getting in to step up if they want to be part of Cocus plans..... or it’s time to seek fortune elsewhere.

Cocu in

Archived