v Barnsley (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

Wow.

I’m so excited to be a Derby fan right now.

No that’s not an exaggeration either, seeing Wayne Rooney on the pitch tonight was awesome.

And I know everyones raving about Rooney, but that’s not even what I’m most excited about.

Max Bird, Jason Knight, both of you take a bow.

Phenomenal players, these past two games they've been absolutely awesome.

Our youth is looking better and better each game, Max Lowe, one of our own, showing why he should be first choice.

We had 2 youth players in the midfield today, yet they looked like ever present professionals...

Also Andre Wisdom, I’ve missed you. Played fantastic once again, and as sad as it sounds it’s made me a lot less bothered whether Bogle leaves or not this window.

Onto Crystal Palace on Sunday.

Same team as today please!

Marriott missed a couple chances but Rooney will mentor him to become a great goalscorer like he was for peterborough.

The future is black and white ? 

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Our ducking throw in

lowe ignores Rooney 

waits waits throws it to their player 

And Rooney commented after the game on things he'd noticed watching from the bench in previous games. He said we were poor at throw ins. It's great to have a player on the pitch now, that sees it exactly like a lot of our fans. Just work the ball up the touch line in the direction of the oppositions goal, football is a simple game, but for some reason our players want to cause chaos, put our team on the back foot and create our own problems.

6 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Lowe and Clarke superb.

Wisdom, Rooney, Knight, Bird and Holmes good.

Waghorn, Marriott, Davies OK.

Hamer poor - got to be holding that shot. 

Whittaker and Malone poor although the latter didnt even know where he was supposed to be playing. Whittaker I've already been slated on the forum for saying he won't make it - I stand by that comment still. Just seems disinterested. 

Cocu - top Mark's for team selection and going for it. Shocking Mark's for the subs/tactics.

Keep the positive team selections going, bring in some quality (Striker, Attacking mid, strong ball playing right footed centre back who is not CCV) and we will progress.

Whittaker disinterested??? This comment is for a player that has played all of about 40 minutes for the first team. 

Thoroughly deserved it tonight. How didn't Jack Marriott get a hat-trick? They were decent going forward, but always looked like they had a rick in them at the back. Lowe marvellous, as was Wisdom on the other flank looking a beast.  Bird and Knight looked superb again....but don't lets moan when their standards inevitably drop for a game or two. We'll see the benefit next season.

Rooney pinged a few nice balls around, but let's be honest, it was going on around him most of the time. He'll play in less congested midfields, but there was nothing there tonight Tom Huddlestone couldn't do for us. He'll get better though. First game in 10 weeks.

Hamer...should have done better with their goal. 

The subs have had some stick, but I'd say that Whitaker was brought on for legs up front...but he's not a striker...and Malone was bought on for experience to close the game out...but he's not a midfielder. Squad is stretched. It would have been a strong play to bring on Sibley to hold onto the game, and Martin up top isn't chasing anything successfully.

Bottom line....3 points. Job done.

Now play the U23's at Palace, and get everyone fit for 'Boro. Couple of faces in, one or two back from injury, break the away run...top 6 by Easter.?

1 minute ago, Needlesh said:

Rooney pinged a few nice balls around, but let's be honest, it was going on around him most of the time. He'll play in less congested midfields, but there was nothing there tonight Tom Huddlestone couldn't do for us. He'll get better though. First game in 10 weeks.

Can't agree with this. Huddlestone couldn't have put anything like a quality delivery as Rooney did for the first goal. He also would have wasted the ball at lot more in tight areas. I thought Rooney's passing was magnificent, a level above anything I've seen Huddlestone do. 

11 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Lowe and Clarke superb.

Wisdom, Rooney, Knight, Bird and Holmes good.

Waghorn, Marriott, Davies OK.

Hamer poor - got to be holding that shot. 

Whittaker and Malone poor although the latter didnt even know where he was supposed to be playing. Whittaker I've already been slated on the forum for saying he won't make it - I stand by that comment still. Just seems disinterested. 

Cocu - top Mark's for team selection and going for it. Shocking Mark's for the subs/tactics.

Keep the positive team selections going, bring in some quality (Striker, Attacking mid, strong ball playing right footed centre back who is not CCV) and we will progress.

Actually kind of agree with the whittaker comment although its way too early to write him off ... maybe he was nervous but he looked like he was avoiding the ball, when you come on for the last 5 mins you have got to chase down everything and he barely moved.

Apart from that the youth situation is so encouraging!

Good win. Good first half. Big Marriott supporter but he missed some golden opportunities in the first half. Having said that he is the only one of our strikers who is able to make those runs/chances and he didn’t shy away or not to try the runs on the further chances. Took his goal well. 

Young lads that started again did well. How much more solid does the defence look with Clarke and Wisdom (who attacking wise also has 2 assists in 2 games). 

For me the substitutions were shocking. Whitaker is not ready just now. He offers nothing, particularly coming on in tonight’s situation. He should have been Knightesque running after all lost causes. Martin would have been better to hold the ball up. Malone was gash and the only thing he did was point to Lowe to go and do more running when he should have been covering. That change could have cost us. Really do not understand why Sibley with his tenacity was not brought on.

The main positive is that we have won back to back games for the first time this season (a shocking statistic really). Is it any coincidence that we have won three out of the last five games (losing only one - Forest) that Marriott has started. Also the last three games we have managed to score more than one goal again has been when Jack has started.

31 minutes ago, goldstar said:

No one else picked up on Waghorn's celebration, fingers in ears? 

Not impressed with that, Lawrence came in for loads of stick for doing it, and he has received endless abuse even before the drinking incident. Waghorn hasnt been taking his chances, his control has been woeful, and ultimately he has been struggling to score which is his job. Not seen any personal insults, just job related. 

So what does he do? Scores from open play and instead of celebrating with the fans, decides to acknowledge the negativity and basically puts two fingers up.

HE WAS PROBABLY UNDER INSTRUCTIONS AFTER CHARLTON INCIDENT

2 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Different kind of player. Also, very different to come on in a team that’s on its knees and just defending. 

Even more of the reason why he should be using his freshness and energy to press. Don’t want to dig the lad out. It’s just too soon for him

Back to back wins, what more can you ask.  Bird, Lowe and Knight continued their good form. Wisdom impressive again, as was Clarke.

Our strikers both scored.  Should have had more but confident with the same service they will start putting them away (they being Marriott). And Rooney. Sure, he's not as mobile these days, but the quality is still there. Great post match comments too (ad-libbed, so apologies):

On Marriott - he was lazy.  He thought he was offside.  You score the goal then worry afterwards.

On change of his positioning 1st half to 2nd half to a more advanced position - I noticed they were getting more posession so I moved up to cut down on the space.  His decision, not Cocus. 

On small things he's noticed like throw ins - We were really poor at these so I've said to push up, close them down etc so they can't play out.

Max Bird - "...playing alongside my hero".  I can't believe it's a coincidence him, and Knight have suddenly come of age.

If this is the sign of things to come then I'm a happy ram.

The last two games have shown me a much easier side to support. I'm starting to see some real roots of progression and a big dollop of quality in Rooney and it seemed like we had an extra edge. Marriott should've scored at least three and perhaps would've done on another day. The young players are showing signs of progression in their play, decision making and their presence on the pitch. Holmes has really stepped up into a leadership role in the team, he's a constant menace. He looks fitter than he ever has done in a Derby shirt, in fact a lot of the players look much sharper in that regard. The only disappointment from the night was the subs, neither really gave the desired effect and caused the team shape to change and other players forced to compensate. The game should've been dead and buried by then.

I think we can expect an enjoyable end to the season, the January window is a big one for the future of the club, if not for this season. 

I've often been opposed to the view that Marriott will somehow save us but I have to credit him today in a torrent of criticism and say he chased everything and got himself into a number of goalscoring positions. He got fed a lot from midfield (lots from Rooney but not just him) and his work rate off the ball didn't go unnoticed by his teammates.

That said, he will never have an easier hat trick in front of him that he didn't take. Chance after chance after chance. He won't get those opportunities in that quantity week in week out, so he has to finish the chance much better than that.

I feel for him a bit because he's been told that he's a naturally talented player, and all he's missing is a stronger work ethic, and yet today he worked harder than anyone on the pitch but couldn't make it count. That's going to sting him tomorrow morning when he plays it over in his head.

When it comes to Whittaker, I can only assume he's playing as instructed, and trying to block passing avenues.

It does look weird, but once the ball had passed him he was certainly quick enough to try and get back to help.

Having watched him a lot these past few years, he's certainly not disinterested or languid by nature.

COYR ?

Now then folks, am I rested as thread starter for the Palace cup game in order to hopefully continue the league run (two wins and a draw)? 

First option to reach three votes wins so:

A - Concentrate on the league?

B - Bring on the Palace?

Archived