v Barnsley (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

1 hour ago, goldstar said:

No need to be an ********, it's a forum where people comment so no need for the attitude. 

I care because it's rude to the paying fans who support him, that instead of celebrating, he behaves like a little child. 

And that depends which section of the crowd he was near which i think was Derby but if I'm wrong and it was Barnsley, then he can fill his boots. 

I think he was taking the mick out of the Barnsley goalscorer.

After doing the celebration he gave a few fist pumps to the crowd.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to have to say it yet again, but Chris Martin WOULD HAVE improved that performance considerably. Waghorn (in particular) and Marriott’s goals cannot disguise the fact that they were relatively ineffective, in front of a generally combative and creative midfield. Rooney’s debut very promising, despite a lack of match practice, and hopefully his presence will keep Tom Lawrence out of the picture for as long as possible, until he is sold. 

32 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

When it comes to Whittaker, I can only assume he's playing as instructed, and trying to block passing avenues.

It does look weird, but once the ball had passed him he was certainly quick enough to try and get back to help.

Having watched him a lot these past few years, he's certainly not disinterested or languid by nature.

He looked unsure as to whether close down or cut out the pass, in the end didn't do either. 

Just don't think he is ready as of yet. Which is fine, he has plenty of time on his side. 

Should have been far more comfortable that. Marriotts total incompetency in front of goal, combined with Cocus bizzare negative changes and tactics in the final 20 minutes made it a far more Nervy finish that it should have been, against a Barnsley side we showed our class over. Got to get better at taking chances or our goal tally will never look more respectable, and we really need to stop dropping so deep when leading or it’ll cost us. However, on the whole, We more than deserved that win , and battled hard to finally get that second win on the spin, which is what matters.

We created a lot of chances today, which is a real positive. So many times we got clean through on goal, which is a massive credit to the midfield. We just need to take the chances, but it’s a real positive that they’re there. Much more so than previous games where we’ve carried very little creative threat. Real movement contributed as well. All much more positive in that regard than before, a much better foundation at least. Some more goalscorers in the team and we’ll be much stronger. At the other end of the pitch we were resolute in the main. Battled away with 100% effort again which is good, and we didn’t afford Barnsley too many opportunities. Need to stop the careless passes giving away possession in our own half though, really leaves us exposed. And the individual errors as well are really stacking up now... never seen so many by a single team. Ridiculous really, we’ve gotta cut them out.

Anyway, ratings for me:

Hamer 6- Horrendous error for their goal. You can’t be a goalie at this level and drop the ball there. Reasonably solid otherwise, but needs to be better on the ball.

Wisdom 7- Another excellent assist, getting good at that Low cross now. Some poor passes though, needs to be better on the ball

Davies 8- Excellent performance from him, full credit after losing the captaincy. Strong in the tackle and dominant in the air as per

Clarke 7- Solid defensively, and made some great recovery tackles. Still a bit nervous on the ball though

Lowe 8 MOM- Outstanding once again. Having a real breakthrough year. Brilliant driving forward, excellent on the ball, and some good tackles to boot

Holmes 7- Quieter game today, but some beautiful passes and touches in there. Wonderful through ball that Marriott messed up as well. Just needs to get a bit more involved in wide areas, but probably needs more support. He’s still better in the middle for me.

Rooney 7- Phenomenal freekick which showcased his generational technical ability. Subdued on the whole by a decent Barnsley defence set out to stop him, but still managed to dictate the game when he got on the ball. You could see the footballing brain is very much still intact.

Bird 7- Needs to be stronger in the tackle, but some wonderful vision on display as he made some brilliant passes in support of the attack.

Knight 7- Another very industrious game, always involved in the play, making driving runs and intelligent passes. Real battler on the pitch which is good to see, never hiding which is excellent from someone so young. Some of his passes deserved better from his teammates too

Marriott 7- Good job he scored or I’d have been slaughtering him on here! Worked hard and got in decent positions but Christ Jack, Conor Sammon would have probably got two today!

Waghorn 8- Was actually quietly very impressed with Waggy today. Greta finish for his goal, but really battled away up front making things very uncomfortable for their defence.

Subs:

Malone 6- Pointless really, just gave the ball away and offered little outlet or defensive support

Whittaker 6- No time to make a real impact, negated by the negative tactics at the end.

I'm all confused now.

Just watched the first half again on sky having been at the game. 

From my POV at PP we looked loads better than what I just rewatched on the telleh?

Wasn't bad by any stretch just not as fluid and smooth as I had convinced myself it was at PP. Odd that.  

Jack has been "lethal" during his time here albeit kn fots and starts. Dig that out of him again and on a consistant basis and we could make a mockery of a few teams second half of the season's plans.

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Clarke 7- Solid defensively, and made some great recovery tackles. Still a bit nervous on the ball though

For someone nervous on the ball, he didn't half look comfortable with it!

13 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Davies 8- Excellent performance from him, full credit after losing the captaincy. Strong in the tackle and dominant in the air as per

If you've give Davies 8 then Clarke should be 88, he never put a foot wrong.

Davies should have stopped the goal too, he was too slow.

2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

For someone nervous on the ball, he didn't half look comfortable with it!

He did play some good passes tbf, but they were in between hoofs that weren’t needed. Not a major criticism, I’d rather that than overplaying, but I genuinely think he’s quite a nervous player watching him. Not that I blame him, I’d be the same after playing with Scott Malone a couple of games, but he’d be a lot better player if we could keep him calm.

Just now, Grumpy Git said:

If you've give Davies 8 then Clarke should be 88, he never put a foot wrong.

Davies should have stopped the goal too, he was too slow.

Clarke did nothing wrong defensively, but he sometimes hit it long when he didn’t need to, that’s all.

That goal is 100% on Hamer though. It gets worse every time I see it, no way should anyone be dropping that ball. He had it under control. You can’t expect our defence to be thinking for a second that the situation wasn’t already handled, so to speak.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He did play some good passes tbf, but they were in between hoofs that weren’t needed. Not a major criticism, I’d rather that than overplaying, but I genuinely think he’s quite a nervous player watching him. Not that I blame him, I’d be the same after playing with Scott Malone a couple of games, but he’d be a lot better player if we could keep him calm.

In possession I'd say he's not nervous enough sometimes, last 2 games he's pulled a trick out of the bag while under pressure.

I've not noticed the hoofed passing mind, but I've not looked for it.

Just now, reverendo de duivel said:

In possession I'd say he's not nervous enough sometimes, last 2 games he's pulled a trick out of the bag while under pressure.

I've not noticed the hoofed passing mind, but I've not looked for it.

Yeah but they make me nervous!? In seriousness he has made a couple of excellent turns, and I’m not bagging him, he still had a very good game, it’s just an observation. It’s potentially down to a lack of communication, maybe sometimes he doesn’t realise he’s in space so doesn’t need to clear at all costs.

Good match tonight! Rooney’s passing was amazing- assist and an assist for an assist! Almost every ball was weighted perfectly. 

Wisdom’s passing was off tonight, some of the match today was like a park match from both asides, with crazy passing mistakes and the ball off the ground for ages. 
I though Cocu got everything spot on. 

After the run we’ve been on, tonight was all about digging in. We needed to get momentum and confidence flowing by getting another win.

Monday’s efforts would have been wasted if we didn’t back it up.

We should have been out of sight at half time. Marriott was unbelievably wasteful and on another night, it could have come back to haunt us.

In the second half, we gifted Barnsley a way back into the game and from there, Barnsley grew and grew in confidence. Our subs and tactical changes only really compounded this problem.

The young players - Lowe, Knight and Bird - stood out yet again. Their energy, hunger, intensity, positivity, and most importantly, composure was so encouraging to see. They really set the tone for us.

Rooney showed some brief flashes of quality but given the hysteria, he was underwhelming for me. It looked like he will need some time to build fitness, match sharpness, and adjust to the division in truth.

All in all, an important three points. Let’s hope there are more positive results to come and the boys can eventually turn on the style.

1 hour ago, Ram8 said:

Sorry to have to say it yet again, but Chris Martin WOULD HAVE improved that performance considerably. Waghorn (in particular) and Marriott’s goals cannot disguise the fact that they were relatively ineffective, in front of a generally combative and creative midfield. Rooney’s debut very promising, despite a lack of match practice, and hopefully his presence will keep Tom Lawrence out of the picture for as long as possible, until he is sold. 

strikers ineffective are you serious....sorry Martin would never have made them vital runs/timing in to box today as both Marriott and Waggy did

Lawrence will be back in squad as Cocu sees his quality as did Lampard.Rooney and Lawrence link up will be an exciting mix to watch

7 hours ago, Ram8 said:

Yet both strikers scored....... if they hadn’t we lost 1-0... unless we are doing reverse psychology here...... ah that’s it. 

5 hours ago, dcfc4ever said:

strikers ineffective are you serious....sorry Martin would never have made them vital runs/timing in to box today as both Marriott and Waggy did

Lawrence will be back in squad as Cocu sees his quality as did Lampard.Rooney and Lawrence link up will be an exciting mix to watch

I understand Martin in there for Waghorn but Martin for Marriott certainly won’t have made an improvement.

Lawrence needs to be nowhere near this team now. Sadly I do believe he will be back in the bench for sure but Lawrence will not make us better. Out of interest, based on the formation played how do you put Lawrence and Rooney on the same pitch?

Both strikers lack confidence, last season Marriott would have had a hat trick and wag horn would have had a better touch . Thought the youngsters played well, as did Clarke, you can see Rooney quality. Thought wisdom did well in defence but in th first half looked a bit lost going forward, a lot better in the second half. The players looked knackered for the last 20 mins, where as Barnsley looked ok, thought Luke Thomas played well. We should have scored a lot more goals but that is due to a lack of confidence 

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

Jason Knight and Max Bird didn't play like teenagers at all tonight. They seemed like they had been playing for years, they didn't panic and waste the ball, they were composed at playing it out from the tight areas, Knight has an engine comparable to Bryson and never stops running at all, and Max Bird had good positioning, was well placed to make a number of good tackles and loves a good burst out from the back. Bielik will struggle to get back in. 

This is the most balanced our midfield has looked the whole season. The midfield 4 we started we today should be our first choice for some time until the others prove they can earn their spot back. So impressed.

Brilliant post. (Especially Because I agree with it completely ?)

Archived