v Barnsley (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

28 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

New 

Wisdom/Bogle Davies/new Clarke Lowe 

Bielek Bird/Shinnie 

Waghorn/Bird Rooney/Holmes Holmes/new

Martin/Marriott

New are where I’d be looking to strengthen but something to build on... 

No Jason Knight? 

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was at the game and certainly didn’t look like Hamer’s fault from where I was sat - they put a great cross in and it looked like he made a great first save then they out in the rebound. One to watch on highlights but some of his passing was excellent in when passing it shorter rather than, as he was clearly briefed, to bang it long to Waggy. Weird one for me as he didn’t get close to winning or challenging their big centre half (who looked half decent). 

Clarke was class as was Max Lowe. 

Waggy was shocking in the first half but recovered a bit in the second. Marriott has some truly great touches but his finishing was poor. 

Rooney - won the ball back at least 4 times in the first half. Creative, calming and quality. Pace has gone but defo a joy to watch still. 

I love the fact we’re playing the young ‘uns. Knight is a feisty sod - love that and Max Bird is calm and can definitely pass. 

Wisdom was solid and really liked his thinking. 

Malone didn’t know what day it was and god knows what Whittaker was doing on the pitch - if you want to hold onto the ball up front you play Martin. He’s the best in the league at it. 

Just now, jono said:

Pretty much agree but not so sure about Malone and Whittaker. Maybe Malone was out of position and unsure of his instructions but Whittaker did exactly as he did against Charlton. Without the ball he just ambled around. The attitude and body language looked off for some reason ? 

Yeah, Whittaker seems to be coming in for some criticism but personally thought he was fine. Positioning and knowing when to press is important rather than tearing around to little effect - I counted at least 3 occasions where he pressed effectively & stopped Barnsley getting quality into our final 3rd. He also looks a bit languid so that might not be helping the general impression.

I'm certain he'll be getting very precise instructions from Cocu et al on how to approach his task - as a young lad, you think he'd have plenty of energy & would be tempted to just chase around. You're right, he was similar against Charlton & suspect the management were happy with that if they put him on again late on to do the same job.

Have to say that Malone coming on confused me and felt like we lost an outlet when we had the ball. 

So impressed with Lowe today, I think Wisdom makes it very difficult for Bogle to get back into the team after two strong performances. Another mature performance from Bird as well. 

Rooney clearly needs game time to get up to speed but his quality is there to see. Marriott needs to sort it out and finish those chances. 
Having Clarke there makes me feel so much more calm when we’re defending/have possession. 

Just a shame the FA cup breaks up our league games as we are building momentum and being dicked by a decent prem team won’t help us ha

I was initially frustrated by Whittaker, but I think he was following instructions. A couple of times he started to run for the loose ball, but then checked himself very deliberately and got defensive side. I expect he’d been told to do that to protect the midfield who had run themselves ragged over two games in a short time. 

Just now, Tombo said:

Nobody going to talk about Hamer?

What's there to talk about? We all knew when he signed that he was an average/below average Championship keeper who'd spent most of his career playing backup. Unless Cocu signs a new keeper this window, he's got to choose from an error prone keeper who can't catch or a slightly better error prone keeper who can't catch. ?

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

What's there to talk about? We all knew when he signed that he was an average/below average Championship keeper who'd spent most of his career playing backup. Unless Cocu signs a new keeper this window, he's got to choose from an error prone keeper who can't catch or a slightly better error prone keeper who can't catch. ?

The second one is Roos, and yes I would prefer him

19 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Malone looks like a bloke that turns up to a house party uninvited, tries to sell everyone there some drugs then starts a fight when he inevitably gets kicked out.

Soils the chad cars then legs it when hes at the destination

Great night out, not as exciting as Charlton but joyful to see Rooney’s passing range and vision. Wisdom got in on that act too. Andre did some really intelligent / alternative stuff with the ball and made openings as a result. It’s nice having a RB who crosses from wide  into a danger area instead of cutting inside every time. He is strong and he doesn’t panic either. 

I have moaned for ages about midfield, both personel and balance. It feels so much better with Knight, Bird Holmes ( and tonight an old master )  all kept the ball moving and ye verily they can all tackle as well. Knight is now a first choice first team player I reckon.  

Hamer spilt a difficult one but he’s in credit after Charlton and his distribution is generally good. 

Clarke got some more Igor moves in to his game and won headers galore. Lowe deserves his MOTM. Curtis is ronseal.

ok so Jack is rusty and Waggy is Waggy but the both worked and both scored so we’ll just press on. 7 points from 9. You go places with that return, regardless of opposition quality. 

Just now, Tombo said:

The second one is Roos, and yes I would prefer him

I personally think Hamer is the better of the 2. I just feel (only slightly) more confident when the ball is at the feet of Hamer that it won't be gifted straight to an opposition forward. Definitely need to sign someone new though, or at the least hope we can talk Man City into sending Carson back. 

22 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Malone looks like a bloke that turns up to a house party uninvited, tries to sell everyone there some drugs then starts a fight when he inevitably gets kicked out.

The most bang on description so far! 

1 minute ago, ossieram said:

3 points and our first back to back wins of the season means I'm a happy bunny tonight. 

I think we could have used the subs better as the players tired, but a wins a win and that'll do for me.

Back in at work yet mate? 

17 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I agree. He looks a bit like Thierry Henri but just strolls like a lost pony. I feel he must have a lot more gears than he has shown us though.

He doesn’t appear to know how to run very quickly , from what I have seen of him so far...imo.

Archived