v Barnsley (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rooney just called Marriott lazy on the post match interview for that one on one miss. Marriott said he thought he was offside, Rooney responded always put the ball in the net if you're offside you're offside but if you're not you've just scored.

Just now, Retro_RAM said:

Rooney just called Marriott lazy on the post match interview for that one on one miss. Marriott said he thought he was offside, Rooney responded always put the ball in the net if you're offside you're offside but if you're not you've just scored.

He's not wrong. Marriott should learn as much as he can from Rooney whilst they are together.

Just now, Retro_RAM said:

Yeah very bitey. I felt that Cocu was on him a bit referring to his 3 chances before his goal. Hope that doesn't knock him too much. 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We made it hard work. What ever you say what you like and I'll say what I like.

They were unbeaten in 5. They had talented players and put a shift in.

We had an inexperienced team that isn’t in great form.

We’ve just won back to back games for the first time this season. Bore off.

Could beat Barcelona 5-0 and you’d find fault. 

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Not really. Was at Barnsley away when Martin played and we drew 2-2. Much preferred a young energetic team tonight and a victory...we all know who that irks...

Yeah you. You started all this pathetic posting, you're carrying it on. Why.

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I agree the substitutions were negative and unnecessary making it inevitable that we would sit off and allow Barnsley to have possession.

But let's just chill out. You have to remember that there were a lot of young lads out there, we're missing the battling heart of our midfield in shinnie and Bielik

We needed 6 points from these 2 home games and that's exactly what we got. I'm happy. Let's build on this and climb that table. COYR.

Knight was really impressive today, Bird was good but Knight just seemed inexhaustible. Holmes worked his socks off. Rooney is going to play every minute he can..  Where do Shinnie and Bielik fit back in?? 

Scores

Hamer 6, not much to do and at fault for goal. 

Lowe 8, really enjoyed his athleticism. 

Clarke 8, good on the ball, strong, back to what we saw when he first arrived. 

Davies 8, solid and dependable 

Wisdom 8, worked hard, created a goal.. Can look a bit clunky at times but a real presence

Bird 8,  neat, worked hard, looked like he belonged in the team 

Knight 9, wow that lad can get about the pitch, so determined and nice touch to go with it.

Rooney 7, steady, looked after the ball, but without really getting about the pitch. 

Holmes 7, busy busy, but never seems to get that last ball right 

Waghorn 7, good goal, worked hard and kept defenders busy 

Marriott 5, awful finishing, got to do better. Really hope he can. 

Decent enough performance in the end, we should have been so much more comfortable though. Marriott’s four chances he didn’t take and Rooney’s header could’ve seen us absolutely hammer Barnsley.

I wasn’t impressed with the substitutions, felt like we invited way too much pressure for too long but we dealt with it well. Did Whittaker move? I don’t really understand bringing him on if he’s not going to do anything. I’d have thought a young lad with something to prove would’ve been busting a gut for his 10 minutes, but maybe he was instructed to hold position, I don’t know.

As a side note I thought Barnsley were a good side. Played some nice football and clearly very capable, more so than their league position suggests in my opinion. They seemed content to waste time while level and play for a draw, even in the first half, which let them down. But when behind they definitely gave it a good go.

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

That's one of our big problems, particularly against sides who press high up like Barnsley. We need a holding midfielder who both has the ability and confidence to receive the ball under pressure from the keeper or centre backs, who'll then turn with it and get us moving forward. Bird is definitely a talented player, but he's rarely there to receive the pass from defence so we're having to resort to lumping it long to two forwards who struggle to win aerial duels. 

I know one. He's polish. Currently suspended. ??

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Please do not play Rooney in the FA Cup. Pointless.

Rooney says Marriott was casual and lazy. Get to the point, Wayne. Very refreshing.

Hopefully Rooney will bring the best out of Marriott.  Make him think and become a better player. There must be a reason Lampard and Cocu haven't played him. 

That goal and leadership on the field might just sort him out 

Archived