v Barnsley (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

I had the misfortune to watch Barnsley vs West Brom on Boxing Day (due to the in-laws - Baggies fans) and Barnsley battered them, unlucky to just get a point. Anyone thinking they were pushovers because of their league position needs a reality check. job well done for me, not pretty at times but sometimes teams need to grind a result out and we did just that. 

Could've / should've been out of sight at half time. Good three points.  

And Rooney class. Simple passes, made it look easy.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Martin could have done that and more, defend corners, hold the ball, etc. Nope didn't see the need to gamble Whittaker and he's done very little. 

For God sake man bore off. Why not set up your own team, sign Martin and spend the rest of your life jizzing over him, after 3 years of you doing it on here I think people are getting slightly bored of it. 

We.just played a good footballing team.who have had some decent results recently and we finished the game with 4 academy products and a player that hasnt played a match in 3 months.

Seriously just set up a Chris Martin lover thread and spend your days posting in that because your negativity even when we win but Martin doesnt play is just bloody tedious.

Happy with that off the back of the performance v Charlton with 10 men.
Needless to say the game should have been buried in the first half if Marriott took his chances, bit rusty which is understandable given his game time, keep getting him out there and he will start putting them away.

Rooney? The guy is class you can see that, fairly quiet with the odd glimpse, looked absolutely knackered at the end, going to take a few games to get up to speed, like to see him in a more advanced role where he can really have an impact on the game. 

Wouldn't play him Saturday, maybe 10 off the bench.

1 minute ago, andyburton72 said:

I had the misfortune to watch Barnsley vs West Brom on Boxing Day (due to the in-laws - Baggies fans) and Barnsley battered them, unlucky to just get a point. Anyone thinking they were pushovers because of their league position needs a reality check. 

Not from me, it was sarcasm. They played the better football.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Didn't need to be so 'hard-earned'! 

Mate, we have played 80 plus minutes with 10 men in 2 games over the festive period including a game 3 days a go. Rooney hasn't played since October, Clarke isn't match fit, Bird and Knight are inexperienced at this level and haven't played at this intensity in a short period of time before., Wisdom isn't match fit....... 

I'm not making excuses either, what more do you want?

8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

And based on chances created we should have won 6-1. It's not unusual for a trailing team to be better at the end. The changes maintained the support for a full backs (Knight with his infinite engine replacing a blowing Waghorn on the right), Malone coming in to support Lowe. 

Whittaker replaced the knackered Marriott so we had someone to chase balls over the top, that just weren't delivered. 

That wasn't the time for Martin for me, if that's people's complaints. We needed our lone-man to be charging between defenders - give them no time. 

Agree but Whittaker was really casual I thought. Needed to put more effort in when Barnsley threw one of their centre backs forward.

Thought back 4 and midfield were both really good. Midfield next season could have real strength and depth with Bielik, Bird, Knight, Holmes, Shinnie, Rooney and Sibley all competing for places.

1 minute ago, David said:

Happy with that off the back of the performance v Charlton with 10 men.
Needless to say the game should have been buried in the first half if Marriott took his chances, bit rusty which is understandable given his game time, keep getting him out there and he will start putting them away.

Rooney? The guy is class you can see that, fairly quiet with the odd glimpse, looked absolutely knackered at the end, going to take a few games to get up to speed, like to see him in a more advanced role where he can really have an impact on the game. 

Wouldn't play him Saturday, maybe 10 off the bench.

Wouldn’t play anyone on Saturday tbh.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Seriously just set up a Chris Martin lover thread and spend your days posting in that because your negativity even when we win but Martin doesnt play is just bloody tedious.

We made it hard work. What ever you say what you like and I'll say what I like.

Plenty of reasons to be positive, our two out of form strikers got a goal, Rooney lasted 90 minutes after nearly 3 months without a game and he will surely grow into game more the more minutes he gets, the youngsters did well once again, we've got players coming back from injury and we're likely to see reinforcements within the next few weeks.

A new keeper, a centre back and a couple of creative forwards/wingers please Mr Morris. 

10 minutes ago, KCG said:

Rowett rightly got a lot of stick for being overly negative and so should Cocu. We could easily have conceded in the last 10 minutes.

Yeah but in the game of football you dont lose points for 'could easily have conceded' just the same as we get no.points for the 4 or.5 goals 'we could have easily scored in the first half'.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We made it hard work. What ever you say what you like and I'll say what I like.

Say what you like and what really happened is two different things....

Archived