v Barnsley (H) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

No one else picked up on Waghorn's celebration, fingers in ears? 

Not impressed with that, Lawrence came in for loads of stick for doing it, and he has received endless abuse even before the drinking incident. Waghorn hasnt been taking his chances, his control has been woeful, and ultimately he has been struggling to score which is his job. Not seen any personal insults, just job related. 

So what does he do? Scores from open play and instead of celebrating with the fans, decides to acknowledge the negativity and basically puts two fingers up.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I personally think Hamer is the better of the 2. I just feel (only slightly) more confident when the ball is at the feet of Hamer that it won't be gifted straight to an opposition forward. Definitely need to sign someone new though, or at the least hope we can talk Man City into sending Carson back. 

Fair enough if you hold that opinion, but I mean the ball almost always ended up with an opposition defender with Hamer's wild upfield balls today. Roos is a lot better throwing out quick from the back and playing the ball short. That style comes with it's own risks.

1 hour ago, KCG said:

Rowett rightly got a lot of stick for being overly negative and so should Cocu. We could easily have conceded in the last 10 minutes.

Rowett got stick because his go to game plan was to defend deep from the first minute to the last and only ever play on the counter attack, regardless of the opposition, pretty muhc every single game. If the opposition didn't attack in numbers the matches often just petered out to a dull nothingness.

If you think we just sat back and let Barnsley play for the first hour then then I have to onder what game you were watching.

I didn't really understand the subs but I'm not even convinced any of the available subs would even really have made much of a difference, considering how completely ducked a few of the players out there were at the end.

The fact that some posters want only to focus on the final 20 minutes and not the 70 before it says a lot about them.

Jason Knight and Max Bird didn't play like teenagers at all tonight. They seemed like they had been playing for years, they didn't panic and waste the ball, they were composed at playing it out from the tight areas, Knight has an engine comparable to Bryson and never stops running at all, and Max Bird had good positioning, was well placed to make a number of good tackles and loves a good burst out from the back. Bielik will struggle to get back in. 

This is the most balanced our midfield has looked the whole season. The midfield 4 we started we today should be our first choice for some time until the others prove they can earn their spot back. So impressed.

Just now, goldstar said:

Not impressed with that, Lawrence came in for loads of stick for doing it, and he has received endless abuse even before the drinking incident. Waghorn hasnt been taking his chances, his control has been woeful, and ultimately he has been struggling to score which is his job. Not seen any personal insults, just job related. 

So what does he do? Scores from open play and instead of celebrating with the fans, decides to acknowledge the negativity and basically puts two fingers up.

1. Who cares?

2. Are you sure he wasn't taking the mick out of the Barnsley scorers similar celebration?

3. Who cares?

1 minute ago, goldstar said:

Too busy celebrating a goal...... it’s a bit like the nonsense that Martin and Ince never celebrated with each other..... 

Personally I think the body language and togetherness of the team has sky rocketed because of the youngsters coming in... apologies for going off tangent 

Just got back in for 70 minutes we bossed it, first half should really have gone in 3-0 up, Marriott took up some great positions, but his finishing was poor, but with more game time it should get better, thought Rooney played the ball around well, and his free kicks coursed alot of problems, also  Marriott scoring from one, thought Lowe, Clarke, Bird, and Wisdom all played well, with better finishing we should have won that game 3 or 4 - 1, but at least the games are getting alot better to watch, and I thought the atmosphere was also good again, so better times are coming, but It might take antill next year or the 1 after for promotion party to begin. 

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

1. Who cares?

2. Are you sure he wasn't taking the mick out of the Barnsley scorers similar celebration?

3. Who cares?

No need to be an ********, it's a forum where people comment so no need for the attitude. 

I care because it's rude to the paying fans who support him, that instead of celebrating, he behaves like a little child. 

And that depends which section of the crowd he was near which i think was Derby but if I'm wrong and it was Barnsley, then he can fill his boots. 

5 minutes ago, goldstar said:

When he celebrated with the fans on Monday he got injured by a fat steward falling over and trapping his ankle underneath an advertising board...

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Too busy celebrating a goal...... it’s a bit like the nonsense that Martin and Ince never celebrated with each other..... 

Personally I think the body language and togetherness of the team has sky rocketed because of the youngsters coming in... apologies for going off tangent 

I celebrated too, then watched the replay. Togetherness of the team, but between players and fans has definitely took a downturn. 

Just now, Van De Squid said:

I think it's more to do with the Barnsley player doing the same thing to the north stand when he scored.

If true then what i said is moot. Hope that is the case because he has always seemed like a top guy. 

Just now, goldstar said:

I celebrated too, then watched the replay. Togetherness of the team, but between players and fans has definitely took a downturn. 

I disagree and it’s taken an upturn in the last two games..... I think the youth coming in has sparked the fans again. 

Just now, Mafiabob said:

I disagree and it’s taken an upturn in the last two games..... I think the youth coming in has sparked the fans again. 

True about the youth but still a long way to go before the heights of it in Lampards reign. 

56 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

OK, a slightly nervier last 15 mins than we would have liked but lets face it, we should have won this easily. Some good performances out there & Rooney can be happy with his key contributions. Great to see the side starting to evolve, the team is picking itself all of a sudden & we're creating plenty with lots of movement & interplay. 

Barnsley in fairness look a decent side, press very well & cause issues up top. I'd be surprised if they don't escape the bottom 3. 

Ratings;

Hamer - 6 - obviously his mistake for their goal but generally sound. His distribution is good also

Wisdom - 8 - excellent. Strong defensively & again offered plenty going forward. Assisted for second goal & great ball in first half also that Marriott missed

Lowe - 8 - also excellent. Dealt with their raids & looked a menace down the left

Clarke - 7 - really like this guy. So calm on the ball & totally changes the dynamic of the back 4. Won pretty much everything in the air. Would have been an 8 but lost his man for their goal

Davies - 7 - solid as ever. Slightly disappointed his forays into their box didn't yield more than it did

Bird - 8 - unbelievable to think only his 3rd start. A presence going forward & effective helping out his back 4

Rooney - 7 - great quality as you'd expect. Game sometimes passed him by but not surprised he's rusty after more than 2 months without a game. Liked that he wasn't shy in dishing out a rollocking to Marriott after another missed chance

Holmes - 7 - busy as ever, his darting raids are so important to the team. Great ball for Marriott's 3rd chance, lack of cutting edge on other occasions though

Knight - 8 - bit harder for him tonight but still worked manfully, contributed plenty going forward & gave Wisdom plenty of support

Marriott - 6.5 - scored & worked hard but really should have put the game to bed. Seemed to have real tunnel vision as should have put Bird in for one of the chances too

Waghorn - 7 - worked hard, linked up well with Marriott & scored the winner

Subs

Malone & Whittaker - 6 - both brought on to stop Barnsley building attacks & had some success

Pretty much how I saw it.  Really good first half and should have had it done and dusted by half time if our finishing was better.  I can understand a nervy finish and the defensive subs.  We played 75 mins with 10 men on Monday, a lot of young players and players like Rooney, Clarke and Wisdom playing their first games in a while.

Bird has impressed me a lot the last two games.  Always wants the ball and keeps it simple.

11 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Fair enough if you hold that opinion, but I mean the ball almost always ended up with an opposition defender with Hamer's wild upfield balls today. Roos is a lot better throwing out quick from the back and playing the ball short. That style comes with it's own risks.

When Hamer had chance he out it wide to Wisdom a few times. It looked to me like he was told to play it to Waggy rather than it being his choice and to be fair, the ball largely ended up around him but he did F all with it. And when he did his touch was dreadful as per. I thought Hamer did well but I’ll reserve total judgment until I see their goal. 

I thought waggys celebration was a response to the Barnsley players celebration 

Thought bird, lowe & knight were excellent again. Marriott got in some good positions but needs to be taking them. Keep getting in the positions he'll start banging them in. 

Rooney different class with the free kicks & hitting 40 yard balls to feet

Dont want to slag off a young lad but whittaker needs to be better when coming on. 10mins left & should be fresh. He should be closing everything down, defending from the front. It was too easy fot Barnsley to get forward last ten mins. Also if youre the loan striker with pace dont stand in the middle move out wide & give an option to be an outlet 

Lowe and Clarke superb.

Wisdom, Rooney, Knight, Bird and Holmes good.

Waghorn, Marriott, Davies OK.

Hamer poor - got to be holding that shot. 

Whittaker and Malone poor although the latter didnt even know where he was supposed to be playing. Whittaker I've already been slated on the forum for saying he won't make it - I stand by that comment still. Just seems disinterested. 

Cocu - top Mark's for team selection and going for it. Shocking Mark's for the subs/tactics.

Keep the positive team selections going, bring in some quality (Striker, Attacking mid, strong ball playing right footed centre back who is not CCV) and we will progress.

A great result tonight considering Barnsley hadn’t lost in 5 games and we had played with 10 men 3 days ago.

I could watch Lowe, Bird, Knight and Holmes all day! It’s also frightening to think how good they could all become if consistently played together.

Frustrating night for Marriott but I still think he’s the answer for us.

I just hope that Cocu’s learnt his lesson tinkering with the team and doesn’t put Lawrence straight back in there (for Middlesbrough anyway, he can play who he wants for Palace). 

Archived