Jack Marriott “ Off the Field Antics”

Arsene Titman

he is the 3rd best striker at the club, better than Bennett (obviously) but not on the same planet as Rooney (obviously) and miles behind Chris Martin.

I would put him pretty much level with Waghorn, I don't care which out of him and Waghorn play, the one thing Waghorn has over Marriott is work rate, he is far more of a team player than Marriott is and I think this gives him the edge over him

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, therams69 said:

I was taking the micky out of a stat that was wrong, that was all. Totally agree with all his points and have raised this on another thread which i am guessing was also titled Jack Marriott.....

Not counting play off games as league matches. Hence why I put league games!

29 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I get the "dunno" but how can you not care if there is an underlying reason why one of our more expensive recent signings isn't getting game time?

For me its dunno and wouldn't want to speculate.

Be more of a shock if we ever sign anyone who gets regular game time

50 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

the idea that Marriott disappears when he isn't running onto through balls is also wide of the mark. He is often to be seen coming deep to get the ball, and actually plays some really good link up play

Thanks for this, I was beginning to think I was imagining it. 

IMO Marriott is a player that needs creative players around him, his best position is running off the shoulder onto long balls, flick on's or through balls, a 'fox in the box' in a loose sense, We create zilcho these days which must make life harder for him...but playing long term with Cocu style football will trigger the end for him with Derby sadly

25 minutes ago, chewbacca said:

IMO Marriott is a player that needs creative players around him, his best position is running off the shoulder onto long balls, flick on's or through balls, a 'fox in the box' in a loose sense, We create zilcho these days which must make life harder for him...but playing long term with Cocu style football will trigger the end for him with Derby sadly

What is Cocu style football? 

I have googled it, but no joy.......maybe that’s the definition.?

37 minutes ago, chewbacca said:

Feels a bit like when Rowett got rid of Will Hughes because he didn’t fit in with his poo footballing philosophy. I think we’ll end up regretting it if we sell Marriott - he’s out only natural goal poacher.

There's a decent footballer in Marriott but how he can he achieve his full potential when the team is constantly changing and much of the time when he's played he only comes on as a sub? It is Cocu's job to get the best out of his players and it isn't working in Marriott's case. His ball control is better that Waghorn's and used consistently and correctly he would be an asset. 

If the plan in the short term is to continue with Chris Martin up front then he needs to be partnered with Marriott. Against Millwall, for all his chasing down, Waghorn was much too far away from him to be an effective foil, meaning Martin, for most of the match, was battling against their 3 central defenders.

It has to be Marriott ahead of Waghorn.

Marriott is by far the most natural goal poacher and finisher since we had Paul Simpson.  He will put away two in three given the chances .  That's the problem - no chances . It was only 7 months ago people were pooping themselves with rage when he didn't start at Wembley.  Scored in that one as I recall and two against Leeds .  If this charade carries on much longer I'm reporting you all to the portly strikers union.

Archived